Best foil for you.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Considering dropping down on board size, from a 4'6 (37L) to 4'2 (34L) - I'm 160 pounds.
Be interested to hear what size other's are on compared to their weight please?

@FoiltheWorld was dm'ing with me and recommended going sub 4'4" for pumping if pumping is a goal. He said my 4'8" is a bit long. *shrugs* Now you don't have to go to his foil class in costa rica :)

Mar 20, 2019
Hdip how's the lift treating you??

tried an Albatross 210 last night, buddy had the race/sprint stab on it, didn't really like it. just felt a little too unstable. I could pump it well, but turning and pumping just felt like i was constantly out of control. I told him to try a different stab. He just bought it and is already thinking of selling it. He normally rides an Armstrong.... He liked my Iwa better than the albatross.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC

tried an Albatross 210 last night, buddy had the race/sprint stab on it, didn't really like it. just felt a little too unstable. I could pump it well, but turning and pumping just felt like i was constantly out of control. I told him to try a different stab. He just bought it and is already thinking of selling it. He normally rides an Armstrong.... He liked my Iwa better than the albatross.
A guy locally had an Albatross 210 and let a few guys try it, all said the same: felt like a teeter-totter and was hard to control. They could feel the potential but said it would take a bit to wrap their heads around it, owner was able to swap it to the new 170 and said it's way easier to control.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I've ridden it twice at small first point Malibu now. (going left) I had my Naish setup for full lift. Moved forward pretty far in the box and the tail set for more lift.

Since the lift 200 is a bigger wing I was worried it'd buck me off so I pushed it about an inch bath further than I would put my Naish. Took off on my first wave and no lift. So it took awhile to figure that out. By the end of the session I had a couple good pump runs and a few carves. Starting to feel good. The pump timing felt more like what I see people on high aspect wings doing.

2nd session I moved it forward an inch. The lift is still less than the Naish, but oddly enough the pump didn't feel crazy good like it had the day before. The pump timing felt more like the Naish. That's not a good thing.

So I'm going to split the difference for my next session and I hope that'll be the sweet spot.

The main difference is the weight. So much nicer just to carry up and down the beach. The 2nd difference is it's smoother and faster through the water. The stall speed is higher though. So you have to get going and up to speed then it feels great. Trying to do things at low speed is a bit harder.

I didn't do anything worthy of pulling a cam rewind. Made one double dip my first session. One long pump run back to the starting point, but there were no waves to continue on with.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
i have a 50L 5'2" prone board and a 38L 4'6"...the only difference i can tell is in the paddling back out speed which is nearly negligible and the 50L is a lot better at catching the whitewater...once airborne they feel the same

also have a 75L Inflatable but thats awhole different animal

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
i have a 50L 5'2" prone board and a 38L 4'6"...the only difference i can tell is in the paddling back out speed which is nearly negligible and the 50L is a lot better at catching the whitewater...once airborne they feel the same

also have a 75L Inflatable but thats awhole different animal
So you prefer the 5'2 & what is your weight?

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Nice board mate, what is it that you like about lower volume boards compared to higher volume boards please ?
I meant to say my convetional surfboards are generally lower volume than my peers, so almost 33L seemed pretty high when I ordered. It floats me at about my waist, another liter or so would make it really easy to paddle.

A friend let me try his 38L 4'8," felt like cheating! Not as light in the air, but easy to adjust to.

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
I meant to say my convetional surfboards are generally lower volume than my peers, so almost 33L seemed pretty high when I ordered. It floats me at about my waist, another liter or so would make it really easy to paddle.

A friend let me try his 38L 4'8," felt like cheating! Not as light in the air, but easy to adjust to.
That's interesting, my board is 4'6 (37L) probably should just stay with this size - my local is pretty shallow & the foil often touches the bottom.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I kinda want a
Nice!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!

I probably take that mast off your hands too!

I'm lazy and haven't taken pictures of it or anything. It's basically a brand new 24 inch lift mast with the 2 screws for the wing and a padded bag. You interested in it? I'm probably never going to use it as I'm liking the 28 so far. I saw a freedom foil 4'1" techno for $400 on craigslist, I was going to ask the guy if he wanted to trade but it sold already. Oh well.

Mar 20, 2019
picked up an axis 900 yesterday while i was on Maui. first wave today almost got a 3 for 1, fell on the 3rd connection (same thing happened on 2nd wave i caught). Pumps like crazy, keeps the speed up. surf was pretty small and I was only in the water for about an hour. looking forward to some bigger surf, see what this thing can do!

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
First day on the Signature Stealth 175, way different than expected. Definitely not a small wave foil, needs quite a bit speed to get up on foil and stalls quickly if you don't keep the speed up. I usually sit on the inside and catch a couple dribblers to warm up, but i couldn't even get going at first. Made a field adjustment and pushed the foil all the way forward in the box, added lift and I was up flying. Paddled outside and rode out to the shoulder on the first couple, wing is fast and glides to a halt if you let it. Next couple I tried some turns, no setup just turn your shoulders and engage! Couple more and I was keeping it in the pocket with cutbacks. Pumped a couple times to the inside reform, but not out the back. One huge surprise after the session was that I didn't breach once, neither on the wave or pumping. Really like this wing!

Albatross 175 testing tomorrow.