Best foil for you.

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
I'm looking into getting a full carbon foil, has anyone here had much to do with MFC foils?

I've been informed by another foiler that they had some issues with mast flex & cracking fuselage on the 2019 MFC foils - can anyone confirm this is true please?? (I have found a few for sale at a run out price).

Cheers, mick

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Topmick said:
I'm looking into getting a full carbon foil, has anyone here had much to do with MFC foils?

I've been informed by another foiler that they had some issues with mast flex & cracking fuselage on the 2019 MFC foils - can anyone confirm this is true please?? (I have found a few for sale at a run out price).

Cheers, mick
Just pulled together the final piece I needed for my MFC foil. It's a great setup, super light and very easy to ride. Only one session so far and felt very comfortable on it in just a couple rides.

I have heard a lot about cracked masts, but MFC seems pretty receptive to warranty replacing them.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
grendel95 said:
Topmick said:

Cheers, mick
Just pulled together the final piece I needed for my MFC foil. It's a great setup, super light and very easy to ride. Only one session so far and felt very comfortable on it in just a couple rides.

I have heard a lot about cracked masts, but MFC seems pretty receptive to warranty replacing them.
How does it ride Grendel? Did you get the 1250?

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
3rd session on my MFC 1250 and I've ridden it in varying conditions at my local the last couple days and also tried it at backup beachbreak nearby.

Starting with takeoffs the MFC doesn't engage lift until you step onto the tail so getting up is more of a non-affair compared to the high lift of the other wings I've ridden. I've always been very hesitant to take off on the exact peak, to prevent blasting off, but the MFC really lets you takeoff on steep stuff like you would on a shortboard.

The ride and lift is very similiar to the new Naish Jet wing, just lean to turn and quick direction changes are no problem. A couple people warned me the MFC is "twitchy" in turns and I definitely got bucked off a couple times hitting cross currents and ripples.

Speed wise the wing is really fast and has a lot of control at speed. Pumping is very similiar to the Naish Jet, good technique and you're double dipping easily. What the MFC doesn't like is going slow and stalls pretty quickly if you make a mistake pumping.

Overall I say the hype is real, this foil is very high performance but very easy to get going on and super light. I'm stocked!!

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Topmick said:
Very hard to find an MFC for a demo in my area but have an Armstrong lined up - anyone tried both & could compare ?
How do you find any demo's? Not like there are shops that carry these things. Are there?

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
Not really demo,s - just find other surfer's with the gear you want to try & swap boards for a few waves - we have a shop that have stock of MFC but no demos.

Sep 3, 2019
Been a GoFoil Iwa rider for sometime, but noticing more and more Lift 200 and Armstrong riders. Rough understanding is smoother/longer rides with easier take-offs? Thinking about upgrading, but would love to hear opinions/perspective

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
How are you piecing together used parts? I haven't seen a MFC on craiglist and I check it every few days I'm bored. Is there some foil reselling instagram you guys aren't telling me about?
Haha, I check CL everyday...

It started with a spare mast, the guy decided he liked aluminum masts better and once he sold me the mast he let go of the spare wings he had from his double kit. I just had to get a fuselage from MFC.

There is a Signature stealth 175 for sale in hawaii, supposedly very similiar to the MFC foil

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
Been a GoFoil Iwa rider for sometime, but noticing more and more Lift 200 and Armstrong riders. Rough understanding is smoother/longer rides with easier take-offs? Thinking about upgrading, but would love to hear opinions/perspective

DONT DO IT!....the new GoFoil GL stuff is NEXT LEVEL BADASS!...and the 4.0 stuff Kaser is talking about is going to turn the while foilsurf world on its ear!...

Reactions: Topmick

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Got the MFC in some decent waves the other day, just amazed at how much control this wing has. Dropped into a few of the bigger waves I've ridden on a foil and felt in total control, not just holding on by my toenails. Big wraps, speed carves, wing is so much fun.

Swapped with my buddy who went Armstrong for a few waves. Wow, the Armstrong is just a pleasure to ride, almost too easy. It does everything right from the smooth takeoff, effortless turning and lots of speed. Pumped like a much bigger wing, I nearly pumped back to the takeoff spot on my first ride.

But, I'm wondering if the larger rear stab of the Armstrong is what made it pump better. The MFC stab is a 225cm and the Armstrong is 300cm. My MFC wing is 1250cm and the Armstrong is 1200cm.

Reactions: Topmick
Aug 14, 2019
Australia
Got the MFC in some decent waves the other day, just amazed at how much control this wing has. Dropped into a few of the bigger waves I've ridden on a foil and felt in total control, not just holding on by my toenails. Big wraps, speed carves, wing is so much fun.

Swapped with my buddy who went Armstrong for a few waves. Wow, the Armstrong is just a pleasure to ride, almost too easy. It does everything right from the smooth takeoff, effortless turning and lots of speed. Pumped like a much bigger wing, I nearly pumped back to the takeoff spot on my first ride.

But, I'm wondering if the larger rear stab of the Armstrong is what made it pump better. The MFC stab is a 225cm and the Armstrong is 300cm. My MFC wing is 1250cm and the Armstrong is 1200cm.
225cm is tiny - what's your weight?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Haha, I check CL everyday...

There is a Signature stealth 175 for sale in hawaii, supposedly very similiar to the MFC foil

I've emailed with this guy to figure out how much to ship to Los Angeles. Kuno knows him on Maui and knows people who have bought gear from him. I'm interested but since I have to pay quarterly taxes this week I figured I'd just post the info here in case someone else wanted to benefit from the little bit of research I've done on it. The stealth 175 is KDmaui's favorite wing apparently. Unifoil website says the tail wing on this one is the standard, but they also sell a downswept tail wing for more advanced riders. (the same guy is behind Signature and Unifoil designs) Mizo Fernando was riding the 175, but is now on the 150. You can look those people up on instagram if you don't know who they are to see footage of them riding these wings.

Fedex ground would be $90 and 6 days, 2nd day would be $120

Reactions: grendel95

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
I'm 175lbs - 79kg

The 225 stab is the stock stab on the MFC foils, only the largest 1600 wing includes the 300 stab.

It appears most other brands stock stab is 300cm or more. Considering ordering the bigger stab instead of the bigger 1400 wing.

Bummer the Armstrong vid went private, probably caused a bunch of pre-orders for the 1550 HS wing.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Thanks ghostshaper. I was sad I didn't get to see it before. Pretty fun to listen to while typing reports. That new wing doesn't look super high aspect. Makes me want an armstrong setup real bad though.