Best foil for you.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
It won't work sozzle. The 1250 isn't a high aspect wing. That armstrong guy got a 1250 and said it was good. Then he got a lift HA170 and stayed up on foil for 3 minutes no issue. Total different beasts.

http://instagr.am/p/CIdngmTjm29/
haha yeh thats why the past tense 'was', i saw kenny grabbed a 170, army should have other stuff next year i'd imagine after the instagram heckling incident, if not i'll jump to lift or signature.

interested to see if the new lift range in the new year meets the one wing quiver requirements, having to switch out is kind of annoying.

Aug 23, 2020
I see myself being back on Lift next year. But I also have told myself no more buying wings without demo rides first. The hype is unbelievable with new wings.
New wings are coming fast and furious. With the difference small tweaks can make in foiling- it is tempting/easy for me to think a change can bring a shortcut to a breakthrough... rather than time building skills. I’m on axis and am looking forward to the new BSC black series... 880and 810. But also looking at the Kujira and upcoming midaspect lift.

Reactions: grendel95

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
New wings are coming fast and furious. With the difference small tweaks can make in foiling- it is tempting/easy for me to think a change can bring a shortcut to a breakthrough... rather than time building skills. I’m on axis and am looking forward to the new BSC black series... 880and 810. But also looking at the Kujira and upcoming midaspect lift.
1200cm2 is my minimum wing size, regardless of hype.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I've considered it lots of times. The main complaint with that mast online is it's drag. There's lot's of argument over whether or not it actually has more drag. If I go to AXIS black I will probably buy that mast. It's lighter than a lift mast, which is already pretty light. I don't like that it connects slightly behind where the actual AXIS mast connects. Not sure if that would make much of a difference or not.

I've also emailed with him. He can do a custom fuse designed by Jim Stringfellow too. I told KDMaui about him so that KDMaui could get his own full system. I don't think they ever got in touch with each other though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ghostshaper

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I've considered it lots of times. The main complaint with that mast online is it's drag. There's lot's of argument over whether or not it actually has more drag. If I go to AXIS black I will probably buy that mast. It's lighter than a lift mast, which is already pretty light. I don't like that it connects slightly behind where the actual AXIS mast connects. Not sure if that would make much of a difference or not.

I've also emailed with him. He can do a custom fuse designed by Jim Stringfellow too. I told KDMaui about him so that KDMaui could get his own full system. I don't think they ever got in touch with each other though.
didn't know about the online feedback (been off of social media for a few months). Is this the same Kyle kid that made the claw box inserts?

pretty cool that you can get this mast and use different setups w/o having to buy separate masts. $100 for an adapter is reasonable.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
didn't know about the online feedback (been off of social media for a few months). Is this the same Kyle kid that made the claw box inserts?

pretty cool that you can get this mast and use different setups w/o having to buy separate masts. $100 for an adapter is reasonable.
Not sure what claw box inserts are. Are they that quick release no tool thing that a guy from Santa Barbara was doing? No, this project Cedros guy is in Seattle now. He posts on standupzone. On Foil.zone too. He is good about feedback. It's an article on his blog that first alerted me to the drag issue. He's since come out and said there is no drag. I'd still like to try one. The new carbon masts from manufacturers all taper towards the bottom. His doesn't. Not sure why as the leading and trailing edges of his are cosmetic anyway.

Aug 23, 2020
I’m mostly on a axis 900... Have become Luke-warm on it. Some days I love it...others..... eh. Maybe the coming attractions from axis will be the sh*t? What I’d really like is to still my wandering eyes- settle in on one foil. The price is steep for me right now, but... I’ve had my eyes on the Project Cedros mast.. With all the options coming out- it may be the answer to confusion/my wanting to have my cake and eat it too. Or maybe I should just nut up sell everything and roll the dice- go all in on the Kujira980. Is this the one size fits all.... one foil to rule them all?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I’m mostly on a axis 900... Have become Luke-warm on it. Some days I love it...others..... eh. Maybe the coming attractions from axis will be the sh*t? What I’d really like is to still my wandering eyes- settle in on one foil. The price is steep for me right now, but... I’ve had my eyes on the Project Cedros mast.. With all the options coming out- it may be the answer to confusion/my wanting to have my cake and eat it too. Or maybe I should just nut up sell everything and roll the dice- go all in on the Kujira980. Is this the one size fits all.... one foil to rule them all?

Listen to the latest progression project. They talk about that in a way. Short story. Buy the Takuma Kujira 980 right now. Or wait a month and a half to see the reviews of the new wings from Signature, Unifoil, Lift.

I hope to demo some of the new AXIS stuff this month and will let you know if I do. I rode the 900, got bored of it. Rode the 760 and loved it. Sold that whole kit and now have Signature Albatross and stealth, but miss the AXIS 760.

Mar 22, 2020
Listen to the latest progression project. They talk about that in a way. Short story. Buy the Takuma Kujira 980 right now. Or wait a month and a half to see the reviews of the new wings from Signature, Unifoil, Lift.

I hope to demo some of the new AXIS stuff this month and will let you know if I do. I rode the 900, got bored of it. Rode the 760 and loved it. Sold that whole kit and now have Signature Albatross and stealth, but miss the AXIS 760.
I shoule be able to try the Kujira 980 tomorow, I used to have the Axis 900, now I have Sig albatross 165 (which I really like).
I will let you know what I think.

Reactions: Hdip
Aug 23, 2020
Ey frenchfoidler and Hdip- Thanks! I look for ward to hearing both of your feedback. I’ve only got so many bullets in the gun when it comes to switching up gear....I’m ready for a change, but need to be careful before I leap. I’ll have to check out that progression project. I normally listen but have fallen behind on my podcast listening during the holidays.

Mar 22, 2020
I shoule be able to try the Kujira 980 tomorow, I used to have the Axis 900, now I have Sig albatross 165 (which I really like).
I will let you know what I think.
I tried the Kujira yesterday, well it didn't go so well, I struggled a lot. I think it wasn't dialed it good, something wrong. I could tell it would turn great, really loose, easy to roll rail to rail. But the pumping was hard at low speed. Seems that the faster you go the easier it gets (both on the wave and out).

I think it is hard to give a good review as it is too different than what I've been riding for the last 10 months (Sig albatross 165).
I realize that you need to spend lot of time on your foil, switching back and fourth, trying too many foils is not helping, but of course at some point you need to try out sometimes other things so you don't miss and you don't left behind.

So what I mean, pretty much all the new foils right now are good, you just need to find the one that suit your style of riding and spend some time on it to be make work 100%.
I think I'm addicted to the glide of the hight aspact wing, so I don't mind loosing a bit of turning performance, it reminds me of riding fish vs shortboard and I love riding fish.

Reactions: sozzle

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
could you still pump back out ok or was it a struggle compared to the sig165?

Mar 22, 2020
could you still pump back out ok or was it a struggle compared to the sig165?
I was struggling a lot, but once again, I think there was someting wrong, maybe foil placement (too far back ??) or the mast shim (seems the front wing was pointing down).
I have another friend who has the same board as my another friend, and he can pump easily the 980 so I guess there was something wrong, I usually can pump almost any foil.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
its so strange they have this issue with the design, but if you get it setup right it looks pretty killer as an all rounder, will you keep playing with it to see if you can get it to do what you want?

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
its so strange they have this issue with the design, but if you get it setup right it looks pretty killer as an all rounder, will you keep playing with it to see if you can get it to do what you want?
I hit up Rob Pirie about the Kujira a couple days ago (just before the podcast dropped) and asked him about the 1210. He felt it was too big for normal prone foiling which he reiterated on the show.

I told him I mostly ride the Hyper 210 and he said the same about it as the 1210, too much wing for prone. I'm really happy on the 210 because it's so slow at my local and has the easy pump power to get out the back as far as my legs will hold out.

I'm skeptical of the 980 after my experience on the F32, which is a bigger wing.