Best foil for you.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
xmesa said:
good for beginner: https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/seal-beach-dan-taylor-foil-board/6780635768.html

?
That Dan Taylor is suspect. The track boxes appear to be without carbon re-enforcement. The amount of stress load on those boxes, I see them ripping out for some reason. My guess is why it's being sold. :rolleyes:

these are/were my boards

6'2" Jimmy Lewis
4'10 KT

Here's alittle cheat sheet when looking at prone foil boards....
* carbon re-enforced track boxes/ same for tuttle box (tuttle going to be obsolete in 2019)
* reputable experienced foil board maker/glasser
* no/minimal tail rocker- mast needs to be as close to 90' as possible, if not the platform/board will not fly flat
* pay attention to volume numbers, not board length (as much). the wing when paddling creats small lift which can replace board length. my 4'10 paddles like a 6' fish. I'm 6'3" at 198 lbs, my current volume is 38. may be moving down in length 4'8" and volume down to 36.
* cutting corners to spare money only costs you more in the long run. buying a foil mount stick on plate to your old beater board doesn't work. its like bringing a knife to a gunfight. if you're going to commit, do it right. buy used foils and new foil board IMO. because the new foil you pay retail for today is probably going to be obsolete in 6 months. buying used foils will get you in at almost half of retail. you pay retail for a board, you can almost get what you paid for it in 6 months when you progress down to a smaller board. foil boards typically don't get all beat up as the good ones are all carbon and bulletproof. my kt is in original condition and i ride it almost daily.

Hope this helps, PM me if you have questions. :rockin:

Apr 5, 2006
As someone who blew out tracks on a standup before switching to prone, I will be sticking with Tuttle for a while. I know tracks are being built much stronger now, but spending 3 hours snorkeling for my foil (to no avail) is enough to scare me off.

Not being able to adjust the foil is definitely a weakness, but 4 screws total with go foil is great, and I have piece of mind.

Now if you'll excuse me Im going to go watch Blade Runner on Betamax.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
keoki said:
Kaiser,
why do you think tuttle will be obsolete this year?
just my opinion. the ability to move mast is a huge plus. conditions and wing sizes vary alot, and also personal preferences vary too much to be locked into having the mast in 1 location. I've ridden many SUPs with different mast location and they all flew different. It was an eye opener when I went from a tuttle that was too far back to one that was more forward. forced into a position that makes the board not fly as good makes the whole experience lack luster.

I also think that board construction for the top brands are at a point where the tracks are solid. I've also experienced a tuttle fail on a SUP, punched through the deck. And I've seen others. These were hand shaped, epoxy, etc.. The carbon construction and sandwich molded seem to be solid.

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
Adjust-ability, makes sense.

Kaser, I am riding DylanP's old JL. It has been great as a first board to learn on, great stability. Of course the tuttle box is fixed, but for a newb fixed is best for me otherwise I would be tinkering all the time and probably not really progressing.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Pulling the trigger on a new board, what do you guys think of going over volume?

My 33L Tombstone catches waves easy, but is heavily glassed PU.

Freedom Foil Boards has a 40L board that is an inch shorter than my current board in stock, strinerless and all carbon. Should I worry about the extra volume for flying?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I think it'll be as light or lighter than your current board. So that's a help. Plus an inch less of swing weight. I don't see the downside. It's not as if you have to sink a rail on a cutback.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Hey steamroller or greg?

Need a good deal on a new SUP foil board? $300 for a kings 7'3"

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/san-clemente-foil-sup-with-helmet-and/6791678653.html

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
Hdip youre my official craigslist searcher guy...found my gofoil and board combo in the first place...ik
im going for a 5'5 " sup next...
i think i might be good enough by now

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Hey k1, have you seen any Neil Pryde foils? I was just reading about them. Brand new for under $900. Probably gonna switch brands from Naish by next year.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
get ahold of Geroge Clout....he has/had stuff to sell....he had demo foils from ALL the manufacturers...and is unloading it all to jump on Armstrong....youe migh tget s3ime cheepish stuff....

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Hdip said:
Hey k1, have you seen any Neil Pryde foils? I was just reading about them. Brand new for under $900. Probably gonna switch brands from Naish by next year.
I saw one at the beach yesterday. It was on a roof rack and didn't get a close look. Aluminum mast from what I could tell.

If you're at a point where you have it down, I'd drop the cash on Go Foil. All carbon, nothing gonna bend. To this date I've never seen any issue with their construction, mast, wings, nada. Granted it's what about 90% of the foil community here on Maui rides.

I've run over wood debris, hit bottom, etc...just scratches.

I'm 198lbs and ride almost exclusively the Iwa front wing and Kai tail. Sure I'll try other gear, but won't buy unless it'll out perform Go Foil. Nothing I've tried yet has done better. I've ridden Lift, Axis, and Naish.

Dec 5, 2018
Kaser1 said:
Hdip said:
I saw one at the beach yesterday. It was on a roof rack and didn't get a close look. Aluminum mast from what I could tell.

If you're at a point where you have it down, I'd drop the cash on Go Foil. All carbon, nothing gonna bend. To this date I've never seen any issue with their construction, mast, wings, nada. Granted it's what about 90% of the foil community here on Maui rides.

I've run over wood debris, hit bottom, etc...just scratches.

I'm 198lbs and ride almost exclusively the Iwa front wing and Kai tail. Sure I'll try other gear, but won't buy unless it'll out perform Go Foil. Nothing I've tried yet has done better. I've ridden Lift, Axis, and Naish.
Agree, the combo IWA/kai tail wing is one of the best foil : strong. light,safe and easy.
I would say it is the best foil for small wave.

I tried the Lift 200 and the MFC 1275, those two felt super nice, easier than the GF IWA for take off and for turns but not as easy as the IWA for pumping.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Hdip's issue makes me further question sticking with Naish.

Always trying to save a buck...There is a Kai setup for sale near me, can I get the IWA wing from Go Foil? I hear I need to send the mast to them to fit it to wing.

Should I just wait for an IWA setup to popup?

Also considering the newest Slingshot setup, any reviews? Seem like the guys at Real watersports like 'em.

Dec 5, 2018
grendel95 said:
Hdip's issue makes me further question sticking with Naish.

Always trying to save a buck...There is a Kai setup for sale near me, can I get the IWA wing from Go Foil? I hear I need to send the mast to them to fit it to wing.

Should I just wait for an IWA setup to popup?

Also considering the newest Slingshot setup, any reviews? Seem like the guys at Real watersports like 'em.
Not sure about the Slingshot, one of my friend working for a mag in France tried many foil for a review and he didn't like the Slingshot.
He said : GF IWA, Fone 1400, Naish L

Do not buy the GF Kai, you will not be able to find a IWA wing.

Dec 5, 2018
grendel95 said:
Pulling the trigger on a new board, what do you guys think of going over volume?

My 33L Tombstone catches waves easy, but is heavily glassed PU.

Freedom Foil Boards has a 40L board that is an inch shorter than my current board in stock, strinerless and all carbon. Should I worry about the extra volume for flying?
We might want to check Brawner in San Clemente, that is waht I use, light and responsive.

Dec 5, 2018
[img:right]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215946029377388&set=a.10201892202280494&type=3&theater[/img]