Best foil for you.

Mar 20, 2019
yeah, had to go buy a rubber mallet to get the wings on and off, but otherwise got everything I need.

haha, he said he's never taken the plate adapter off, so I'm pretty sure its probably seized on at this point, but that's fine with me.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
damn thats a GOOD deal...awesome welcome to the club...take off the plate adapter and spray inside and outside and holes with WD40 every few months...itll be fine...i never EVER rinse my gear off with fresh water ...no.problems

cut da wings!

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Finally got the Naish Jet 1250 into the water this week and I think it's a vast improvement over the previous gen. To sum it up succicntly this foil is a smooooth surf wing.

Takeoffs aren't a jerky launch anymore, still quick up on foil but more when I was ready to get up. I bailed on a few of my first late takeoffs out of habit, but quickly realized i could control the wing in the whitewater easily.

Out on the face the wing turns super quick and feels more like traditional surfing, just lean and the wing follows. On the previous wing I would anticipate my turn and setup my body to lead the wing. The new wing is really easy to control and I was able to do a lot of S turning on the face.

Pumping is a bit different, still a power pump but breaching is more of a problem with the fixed tail wing popping out and stalling. I shimmed the rear wing with a rubber grommet yesterday and that helped a lot. I'm not the best pumper, but this wing feels like it has a slower stall speed over the previous wing so my pumps went a bit longer than before. Still have to be going pretty quick to get pumping out the back, my XL wing just has to be moving to pump.

Overall I'm stocked on the new foil, it surfs really well and it seems like i can progress my pumping a lot quicker and better.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
What do you guys think is the best platform to make your own wings? I'm asking in terms of ease of attachment, etc. Inspired by clammys rear stab hacks, I've always had the intention of making my own weird wings (canard style, etc).

It looks like gofoil would be difficult since the fuse fits into the wings. Glad that naish has changed their rear stab attachment for 2020.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Axis might be the strongest fuse to wing attachment I've seen in pictures just because it's wider and more screws than most.

Here's a thread on it. There's some shots of a homemade high aspect wood foil mounted on Neil Pryde.

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Foiling/Axis-Foil-info-needed?page=1#12

EDIT: Canard foils? Hope you look at this guys instagram page. He had Kane DeWilde up in hood river helping him refine stuff recently.

http://instagr.am/p/B0_jjHmHB16/

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Selling my Naish XL wing set, my plan to piece together an MFC set just locked into place

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/san-juan-capistrano-foil-wings-naish-xl/6955186708.html

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
I like it, all the local guys that got the new Naish setup don't like it. They prefer the old fuselage and adjustable tail, I just shimmed it with a rubber grommet.

Mar 20, 2019
I've been riding the Iwa with the Kai stab and have been enjoying it. I know everyone says to cut the Iwa tail down. I'm just wondering does the cut Iwa tail work better than the stock Kai tail, or is it just better than the stock Iwa tail??

And yes clamsmasha, I already know you'll say cut them both... Haha

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
bigmtnbill said:
I've been riding the Iwa with the Kai stab and have been enjoying it. I know everyone says to cut the Iwa tail down. I'm just wondering does the cut Iwa tail work better than the stock Kai tail, or is it just better than the stock Iwa tail??

And yes clamsmasha, I already know you'll say cut them both... Haha
Ha yes, I was going to say that!

It really depends how much you cut, the Iwa tail is thicker and has a deeper chord as well as being longer. I never really liked it in original format, it just felt sooo draggy and made the Maliko 200 blimp out of the water at jogging pace. It got better the more I cut off it.

At one stage I had the Iwa stab cut to the same span as the unmodified Kai. It had nice crisp edges and went really nicely, also was very quiet..

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
I'm using the axis 900 (prone) & really enjoying the ride but do think soon we will have the best of high & low aspects blended into one design.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
grendel95 said:
Iall the local guys that got the new Naish setup don't like it. They prefer the old fuselage and adjustable tail, I just shimmed it with a rubber grommet.
Is it just they don't know how to shim the tail? What's not to like about the new stuff? I saw that one setup on craigs with two wings for about $1300. Not a bad deal.

If I'm not buying into something completely different like high aspect I really can't make myself spend the money on new gear.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Rode the new Naish fuselage and 320 stab with the XL wing yesterday and pumped back to the lineup twice. I felt more control and ease of pumping over the old stab, even made a few previously terminal corrections.

I think investing in the new stab with the little adapter is a good one!

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
grendel95 said:
Rode the new Naish fuselage and 320 stab with the XL wing yesterday and pumped back to the lineup twice. I felt more control and ease of pumping over the old stab, even made a few previously terminal corrections.

Rode this again yesterday in the micro stuff, chipped in on a little whitewash bubble and got my first 2 for 1!!

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
Surf has been super small the past couple of days. It has been super fun foiling down at nukes. Some good rides but not able to get any 2 fors on my sup. today was just beautiful, barely any wind and small windswell peaks popping up.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
grendel95 said:
grendel95 said:

Rode this again yesterday in the micro stuff, chipped in on a little whitewash bubble and got my first 2 for 1!!
yeewwwwwww!!!!!!!!

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
sozzle said:
grendel95 said:
grendel95 said:
my first 2 for 1!!
yeewwwwwww!!!!!!!!
Now we're talking. That's the best part of foiling right there. A SUP guy pulled up to the beach the other day when it was real small and to gauge the quality of the waves he asked how many waves I caught. I reply "Well, I got 4 2 for 1's so that's 8 right there." :)