Best foil for beginners, 2022 version?

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I am 75kg and rode a 75L for a year. Works fine when enough wind and not too choppy. Then sucks when light or chop, so tippy, so frustrating. The extra 15L makes no noticeable difference riding but huge difference knee starting. If you go 75L or less, learn the stinking start.

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
Question for you experienced wingers: what wing do you suggest starting on? High Aspect or Mid Aspect. Whats best for a wing newbie?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Mid aspect is just good all around. High aspect has tons of glide, but you need board speed to start. So if you have a good board that can generate board speed quickly, then you can go straight to high aspect. Mid aspect is more user friendly to begin with in my opinion.

Those are just terms though. Every brand has good wings now. Post what your actual options are and it'll be easier to give a good answer for you.

Aug 28, 2020
I agree on the mid aspect for learning. More stable than HA wings and your jibe, tack and foot switch progression will go much faster.

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
thanks for the input guys. I have been proning the Lift 170HA. Was just thinking someday i may get into winging. Still havent advanced as much as i would like on the prone, but occasionally think about getting into winging. I occasionally see a decent used mid aspect on CL and think i should get it just in case i want to start down that path. Too many toys to get and not enough time.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
You can use the ha170 for winging. Lots of guys do. I prefer the 150surfv2. But I prefer that on prone too. So that's just my personal preference I think. I have been riding a kujira so much lately I'm considering selling my 150surfv2 actually.

Reactions: keoki

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
You can use the ha170 for winging. Lots of guys do. I prefer the 150surfv2. But I prefer that on prone too. So that's just my personal preference I think. I have been riding a kujira so much lately I'm considering selling my 150surfv2 actually.
which kujira do you have hdpi?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Bought an old used 1210. It's pretty smooth and I like it. A bit slow and boring for in the surf though. Especially since I got a couple waves on a lift HA90 and now want that wing. First wing I've wanted in awhile.

Reactions: grendel95

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Bought an old used 1210. It's pretty smooth and I like it. A bit slow and boring for in the surf though. Especially since I got a couple waves on a lift HA90 and now want that wing. First wing I've wanted in awhile.
i grabbed a 1095 with a kane tail back in march but fucked my knee and haven't been in the water since easter, 1095 didn't feel slow like the 1210.
could you pump around on the lift 90?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Yeah, I weigh 170. 4'6" prone 32 liters maybe. 2-1's aren't an issue.

I'd like to try a 1095, but love narrow wingspans, so the 90 might be a better fit for me.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
My board finally got "fixed" and the boxes were done too narrow.

Awesome.

Not sure how I should ask for this to be made right:

75427126-BF2C-4C8E-80BA-651AA3F46AA1.jpeg

Edge to edge width between the boxes in the rear is just short of 3 in and the boxes at the top 3 1/8 in.

Board feels a lot heavier - now weighs 8lbs - so not sure if cabosil or pour foam was used to set the boxes but by appearance seems like cabosil. My experience with pour foam is it's crispy yet hard as a rock and almost resin like (may have been the type I used or I simply didn't mix correctly).

Bottom line is not sure to what degree this board can now be salvaged so not sure how to approach this with the business owner.

On top of that the screws kit I was provided with when I purchased the foil has a mount screw that is too short so I will have to contact the retailer and ask them to mail me another one.

Last edited:

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Wow, serious mistake there. Sorry about that. It's a standard plate mount, so that's just a mistake by the repair guy unfortunately.

Edit: You'd cut it all out and redo it all.

Last edited:

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
So is that a repair? Or a retrofit?
When installing tracks, there's various ways to do it. To some extent it's a balance of more weight or more strength, with finding the happy balance of strong enough while not being too heavy. Though you can f it up and have it be too heavy but not stronger...I'd be surprised if they filled the voids with epoxy/cabosil vs hd foam, that'd be pretty crazy, also subject to too much heat.

Having screwed up the alignment of the boxes, there is a half-a$$ fix: depending which box, you have rougly 5-8mm of plastic wall to play with, so you can drill/dremel cut outs to fit the bolt (blue dots below). It means your mast is set in place, can't slide it forward back, but at least it works. Key #1 with a bullet is to ensure your mast plate is 100% straight on the board before you do this.

In the photo above, your top left and bottom right appear to be off in opposite direction, looks like you need to turn your mast 1cm clockwise and this may fix both holes (but if the mast is then not traight on board, eg if your foil wing is not 90 degrees to board, then that's a much bigger problem) [blue arrows]drill.JPGrotate.JPG

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
It looks like the boxes are converging towards the rear. The good news is that they can just fix one of the boxes.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So is that a repair? Or a retrofit?
Old boxes were replaced with new boxes.

Towards the rear they are just shy of 3 inches apart, and toward the nose they are about 3 1/8 inches apart.

There is no way it will work

I would have come out cheaper, including time wasted, just buying a brand new board from Infinity.

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
Old boxes were replaced with new boxes.

Towards the rear they are just shy of 3 inches apart, and toward the nose they are about 3 1/8 inches apart.

There is no way it will work

I would have come out cheaper, including time wasted, just buying a brand new board from Infinity.
Wow, that really sux. Well I guess you could ask for your money back and take it to someone who knows what they are doing. I know Dave Daum over at Kings has replaced a bunch of boxes, I have had a few of his boards too and I havent had any box issues. For a while, Dave was cutting and glassing FFBs before they were sold. Maybe Steve Ford too. They may have some used boards there too, if you want to scrap this one.

Regarding the screws, I got some from my local Ace Hardware, I think they are either M6 or M8 x 25mm.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Wow, that really sux. Well I guess you could ask for your money back and take it to someone who knows what they are doing. I know Dave Daum over at Kings has replaced a bunch of boxes, I have had a few of his boards too and I havent had any box issues. For a while, Dave was cutting and glassing FFBs before they were sold. Maybe Steve Ford too. They may have some used boards there too, if you want to scrap this one.

Regarding the screws, I got some from my local Ace Hardware, I think they are either M6 or M8 x 25mm.
Ordered a board from Kings a few weeks back.

Looks like he probably had the most solid build in the biz.

Reactions: keoki

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Question:

Got cloud9 set up with two front wings: P27 and x22

Which one is better to learn with?
not trying to be a downer here, just honest, but they’ll both be difficult to learn with. Plenty of people did learn on them though so you just have to be determined. Try to get towed behind a boat in flat water.

whichever is wider. i think that’s the x22?

Reactions: rmoisio