Best foil for beginners, 2022 version?

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Yes, it's another reason not to get that foil. It'll be to small for you.

Axis 910b would be good probably. I wrote the guy that's going to college up there. He knows the waves and might have better recommendations than I do. I think he rides an ono swift 175. Which would be great to learn on. Probably out of your price range though.

To learn you're probably looking at a board around the 38 or a bit more liter mark. 4'6"+
What about this? I gotta try this on the cheap.

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/spo/d/santa-barbara-feather-tech-foil-and-nsp/7485860636.html

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I don't know feather tech but it looks to me like one of the rebranded alibaba foils...as in buy a case lot of 100, they will print your logo on it, now you have a foil company. [and apologies to feather tech if I have it wrong]

I am all for doing it cheap, I bought one of those china knock-offs, then we made our own foils, still make our own boards. But if you do get into it, then cheaping out at the beginning is false economy, as you'll end up spending the same $$ in the end, just your initial time will be riding crappy gear that holds back your progression.

Your best value option is to buy used 1-2 year old name brand gear -- last year's hot radness will be fully ridable and fine to learn on. More than 2 years, you risk getting into old crap that doesn't work.

IMHO you can economize on boards, as they hardly matter, it spends 90% of its riding time in the air. You just need enough volume to paddle it and catch white water to start. Install longboard track boxes in an old surfboard, get a stick on mount, buy a beater used foil board, all will work.

PS listen to HDip...he has got more California riders into this than anyone.....he will find you a sweet local deal.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Ok I’ll get you into it for free. But you’re going to have to work for it. You need to message Quinn on Instagram.

Tell him Hdip gave you his account qnd told you to get in touch. I Already talked to him. He said you can try his gear when he’s up there. but it’s only going to be for the next couple weeks. So make it happen and find a time that works.

foiling has a steep initial learning curve. But it’s so worth learning. It’s the shortboard Revolution all over again. Having the right equipment makes learning a million times easier. He’s an employee of sorts of the foil shop in seal beach. So meet him for a session if possible and he can get you demo gear after that or a used setup that will be better than anything on craigslist.
that feather kite foil is worse than the cloud 9 and the cloud9 s24 is pretty bad.

The board is fair provided it’s watertight and the track boxes are solid.

Write Quinn.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
If I had to buy right now I’d buy this.

Or i would find a used kujira 1210 with a 75cm mast. The foil shop sells these.

For the board I’d go through the foil shop.

EDIT: have any San o or doheny camping planned this summer? I can get you demo gear at either of those places too most likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: sozzle

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I approve this message. That's a good surf foil. While it is older than 2 years which makes it older gear. It was top of the class when it was released, so it is still holding on. Plus he's selling you 2 wings with it. The larger wing will be great to learn to pump on and the smaller size will be your shortboard ripper wing.

Yes it's annoying, but you'll need a quiver. Remember what I said earlier about wanting to immediately spend another $2k.

Last edited:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I'm planning on getting into winging this summer w/ my son. I'm going to have him use my Axis 900 and my prone board (he's only 75 lbs).

Any suggestions on a new foil setup for me (I'm only 145 lbs)? Goal is to ride 0.5 mi outer reefs. Also, if you have any wing suggestions, please post. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: grendel95

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I'm planning on getting into winging this summer w/ my son. I'm going to have him use my Axis 900 and my prone board (he's only 75 lbs).

Any suggestions on a new foil setup for me (I'm only 145 lbs)? Goal is to ride 0.5 mi outer reefs. Also, if you have any wing suggestions, please post. Thanks in advance.
winging is amazing. And I haven’t prone foiled except two times in the last two months. Partially due to I hate crowds. But I’ve been driving to a lake instead of the ocean and it’s still almost as fun. You have to have wind though so that’s pretty frustrating. And the initial learning curve sucks just like with every aspect of learning to Foil. Then it goes real fast and gets super fun fast

having a wind sports background is definitely helpful. Understanding the wind window etc.

same as with oils. Buy the most current generation gear you can get. They’re all pretty good now. Dave at Sano is selling good ensis wings for a good price. And a nice wing board actually.

Reactions: ghostshaper

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009

You may want to err on side of bigger foil and bigger board for you, at least to start. Especially if you have lighter winds (SoCal tends to I believe). Just makes it so much less frustration if you are stable and can stand independent of the wing. Bigger foil means less mad pumping to get up ... kind of like having decent prone surf foil waves, where you popup effortlessly.

Wings: avoid older Gen 1, other than maybe ozone or f-one. Newer generations, I think they are all pretty good, the industry has quickly standardized. Buy used if you can, as there's a good chance of trashing the wing in learning stage. Plan to upgrade later.

Practice on land first, you can figure out the body mechanics. I am increasingly a fan of skateboarding with wing, you can get going quite fast in barely any wind, figure out the balance, and then work on turns.

And yes, it's rad to transform the hated wind into your BFF. I love seeing surfers get their first taste of harnessing that power, will make you into a frothing fool.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
And yes, it's rad to transform the hated wind into your BFF. I love seeing surfers get their first taste of harnessing that power, will make you into a frothing fool.
Oh I still hate the wind. The wind is a way more fickle mistress than the waves ever were. Wind forecasts are more like this. The week before: It's going to be windy next week get excited! Day of: Oh we're downgrading the forecast, just stay home. The day after: It was windy yesterday you should've gone.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I'd pay $700 for that setup. I'd still say no to learning on it though. All first generation gear. Not going to be easy.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Oh I still hate the wind. The wind is a way more fickle mistress than the waves ever were. Wind forecasts are more like this. The week before: It's going to be windy next week get excited! Day of: Oh we're downgrading the forecast, just stay home. The day after: It was windy yesterday you should've gone.
ain't that the truth. I was explaining this to a wind-noob buddy yesterday: surf forecasting relies on phenomena that already exists; the waves we surf were storms 2-5 days ago, and are now pulses of energy marching across the ocean. As complex and difficult as surf forecasting is, that's a major benefit. In contrast, wind forecasting attempts to predict the future based on anticipated future weather conditions. It entirely speculates on what may be based on theories and best guesses. One variable changes and all the modeling is out the window. So...when you are at the beach with a perfect wind forecast, then that one cloud flies over and ruins it...you can go surfing instead and have the bizarre realization that you're thankful for reliable surf forecasts. :)

PS other wind lessons for the grasshopper here:

1. You know when it's not windy enough and and just trying harder generally doesn't make it work. The solution generally is to throw money at the problem: bigger gear buys you more sessions.

2. Surfers want to be rebels and do their own thing on their own schedule; wind chasers seem like kooks because of how they always congregate in groups and wear shorts over their wetsuits. Yes, it's a more social sport, but that is more because of conditions: the old timers maximize probability, there are spots that are most likely to have wind at a given time, season, weather conditions. They know this and go there. Follow them to maximize your chances too. It's also more fun and safer with a crew. But yes, the shorts thing is kooky.

3. Wings are semi-disposable. They suffer the worst of all the wind sports, for a beginner it's near certainty they will get trashed. For experts, also likely (if you are in waves), just can better space out the damage with caution and care. Go into it knowing this, avoid disappointment. Considering buying that kook's unused 2nd hand gear for x% off.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I appreciate all of you guys giving your wing insight. Here's what I've recently ordered/acquired:

- Ozone Wasp v2 6m
- Lift 32 cm mast
- Lift 32 glide tail
- Lift 200 v2 surf (coming from grendel)
- Lahoma inflatable 5'1 85L (to start, but will probably make myself something lower in volume once I get going)

Where I am, a 15 knot day is windy.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Exciting! Wait for the strong wind days. Trying to learn in too light of wind is perhaps the most frustrating thing I've done foiling. You really don't need to go to a smaller board. At least not for a long time. I successfully water started my prone board (with straps) for the first time yesterday. Went downwind to where another guy was. Came all the way back upwind. I could do it. I didn't exactly like it. Went back in and put the 90 liter board together. The wind was super strong and I was just more comfortable on the bigger board.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Exciting! Wait for the strong wind days. Trying to learn in too light of wind is perhaps the most frustrating thing I've done foiling. You really don't need to go to a smaller board. At least not for a long time. I successfully water started my prone board (with straps) for the first time yesterday. Went downwind to where another guy was. Came all the way back upwind. I could do it. I didn't exactly like it. Went back in and put the 90 liter board together. The wind was super strong and I was just more comfortable on the bigger board.
I was thinking that maybe the smallest volume that I could still stand on from a stop would be ideal, but I have no idea what volume that would be. I'm light.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
It’s usually your weight in kg is the board volume. I’m 72kg and my 90 liter I can stand up and then pull the wing up if I felt like it. I would like sonething in the 65-70 liters of volume range.

Wing day at Lake Piru up by magic mountain. Sunday June 26th. There should be demo gear there. Wind is pretty consistent in the afternoons there. From 12 mph enough to learn right up to I wish I owned a 3.5m wing. Couple guys talking about bringing skis and a boat to ferry new guys upwind. Then you have a couple miles of downwind to learn how to do it. Best way to learn.

hey come check out Discord with me https://discord.gg/UWVZbN5D?event=979473373585358898