Best foil for beginners, 2022 version?

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
I'm not saying you should buy this. But they appear to be solid, but older generation gear. It's most likely worth it to get into one of the mainstream brands which are more interchangeable and have a better upgrade path, but here are 2 full foil setup price point options. You want "plate mount".

https://www.mackiteboarding.com/2021-neil-pryde-glide-hp-surf-foil/ $899

https://www.mackiteboarding.com/2021-reedin-flightattendant-complete-foil-1280cm/ $1120.
the reedin setup looks really good, kdmaui has helped with some design on that one.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
The bigger the mast the harder when learning.

I would say you need to buy a foil that is good for learning and then graduate.
nah fvck that, buy a good rig once and get on with it, this shît is a money pit already without constantly trading up, all the modern stuff is a piece of **** to ride compared to gear from 3 years ago.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
When I wrote this I thought this idea has validity too.

The deciding variable would be what kind of learner you are. The talented athletes will learn easier.

I'm pro scaffolded learning speed up the learning process.

Caca has money.

He can upgrade.

If anything, buy a short mast and a longer mast.

I learned better on the short mast.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
just get 75 mast and yolo it, but if caca likes spending then yeh, buy 5 lengths and work your way up.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
****=Pi55
The old stuff had so much lift with the thicker profiles, yes it was slower but the nice mellow lift of all the newer gear is so controllable in comparison.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Axis 910b

4'8 FFB Techno.
Figuring out front foot placement really helped me.

I was not putting it up far enough.

I had to intentionally put it up farther.

That was a dumb thing that I had to figure out trial and error.

( I never got passed doing it behind a boat.)

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I started on an Armstrong 1550. Lots of lift for me and I'm 215-220 lbs. Couldn't imagine trying an even bigger foil to learn on because I sometimes have issues with getting launched.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I'm curious how everyone's board progression worked? I just got a performance board. It's 4'7 x 19 x 4 1/5.

Holy sh!t is it different compared to a beginner foil board. I was riding something like a 5'6 x 22 x 3.5 board and could consistently fly the foil and not fall. New board is so much harder and it feels like I stepped off a wavestorm and on to a CI Proton. It comes up on foil much faster and I noticed you need to be much more forward when taking off. I've had three frustrating sessions and have really only stood up on about 1/3 of the waves. Part of it is I'm hesitating when taking off so the foil comes up fast and it is hard to control the lift in your prone position so I end up falling.

Is anyone else going from beginner board to advanced? Kind of like learning to surf and working towards a HPSB?

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I'm curious how everyone's board progression worked? I just got a performance board. It's 4'7 x 19 x 4 1/5.

Holy sh!t is it different compared to a beginner foil board. I was riding something like a 5'6 x 22 x 3.5 board and could consistently fly the foil and not fall. New board is so much harder and it feels like I stepped off a wavestorm and on to a CI Proton. It comes up on foil much faster and I noticed you need to be much more forward when taking off. I've had three frustrating sessions and have really only stood up on about 1/3 of the waves. Part of it is I'm hesitating when taking off so the foil comes up fast and it is hard to control the lift in your prone position so I end up falling.

Is anyone else going from beginner board to advanced? Kind of like learning to surf and working towards a HPSB?
For myself, moving to a small board was mainly a paddling issue...pushing water = noodle arms. The popup took a few tries to get comfortable, but beyond that, wasn't much adaptation.

Sounds to me like you are needing to dial in foot placement and mast position. Put it right back to the rear of the mast box, to minimize lift, then move it forward a cm at a time till you find the sweet spot. At same time, try doing your pop up just a few more inches forward, put a line on your board so you can see where you're putting front foot. It is weird moving to such a small board, feels like you are so far forward you'll fall off the edge.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
@juandesooka

You're right. I noticed I need to move forward to the point where it feels way off compared to paddling a surfboard since you really don't need to worry about nosediving a foil board that is only 4.5 ft. I dialed that part in but I think you're right and I'm not putting my front foot as nearly far forward as I need to. The beginner board that I had wasn't really sensitive and you could put your foot anywhere and it wouldn't breach.

The good news is I can paddle the board with no issues and it has plenty of float.

Reactions: juandesooka

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
@juandesooka

You're right. I noticed I need to move forward to the point where it feels way off compared to paddling a surfboard since you really don't need to worry about nosediving a foil board that is only 4.5 ft. I dialed that part in but I think you're right and I'm not putting my front foot as nearly far forward as I need to. The beginner board that I had wasn't really sensitive and you could put your foot anywhere and it wouldn't breach.

The good news is I can paddle the board with no issues and it has plenty of float.
Yeah, I am on a similar 4.6x19x4.25 ish ... which is thicker than most, gives more buoyancy, makes it paddle able for this middle aged guy. Paddling for waves I have to concentrate on being chest forward an inch more and get front foot up front quick....even a half inch too far back, it's all wonky. Maybe that's the key variable....like a HP surfboard, the margin for error shrinks with smaller boards -- compared to a longboard you can do whatever it doesn't really matter. Anyways, sounds like you're on the right track. This foiling this is the best thing ever! (and the worst thing ever, when it doesn't work...like having your super power taken away)

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Yeah, smaller boards are WAY more sensitive. A 5 foot prone board is like a 10 foot longboard. I learned on a 4'8". It's doable. Just place your front foot 2 inches further forward than you think you need to. If the foil is coming up to fast. Paddle faster, if you get in earlier you can get up smoother. Move foil mast back in tracks.