Get the axis beginner setup

BSC 1120, 75cm fuse, and 500 tailwing.

will make it extremely easy to learn
What about this

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
"Our AXIS Super Easy Start foils are built using a proprietary new technique that features a Paulownia wood core and hybrid glass construction."

Is that a bad or good thing?

Are 26 in + masts now the standard for learning?

Last edited:

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
It get's you into the AXIS range which is all interchangeable, so it doesn't really matter. Oh I just noticed that's the red fuse. Those are the larger and older front wings. The black fuse is the newer option that mounts the most recently designed front wings. The tail mount is the same on red and black.

I personally would go with a black fuse and the 910b. It'll be very similar and be more upgradeable later on. Do you want me to build you a parts list? Fine I'll do it anyway.

You're light so I think the 16mm mast is the way to go. It's thinner, so less drag. The 19mm mast is amazingly stiff, so better for heavier riders or really wide wingspans. It comes at a weight penalty though. If you think you'll get into wing foil probably get the 19mm mast. It's the more common of the two. I listed the parts list as 16mm, but just change all the mast options to 19mm if you prefer that one.

Go to that link and choose these options.

Front Wing Size: PNG 910b

Rear Wing Size: 350p

Black Fuselage: Ultrashort 644mm

Aluminum mast Length 16mm: 750mm

Fuselage/Mast Adapter: 16mm Doodad

Mast Plate 16mm: 16mm

Screws/TefGel: Screws/Tefgel.

Total: $1512 USD

----------------------------------------

Ignore the carbon mast and 19mm mast options. You do not need Titanium screws. You can try asking for a Los Angeles Foil Club Discount. Not sure he does that anymore. Or you can try Josh in Seal Beach at the foil shop. He has a 910b setup in stock right now. He will set you up right.

http://instagr.am/p/Cb--1mngsdV/

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It get's you into the AXIS range which is all interchangeable, so it doesn't really matter. Oh I just noticed that's the red fuse. Those are the larger and older front wings. The black fuse is the newer option that mounts the most recently designed front wings. The tail mount is the same on red and black.

I personally would go with a black fuse and the 910b. It'll be very similar and be more upgradeable later on. Do you want me to build you a parts list? Fine I'll do it anyway.

You're light so I think the 16mm mast is the way to go. It's thinner, so less drag. The 19mm mast is amazingly stiff, so better for heavier riders or really wide wingspans. It comes at a weight penalty though. If you think you'll get into wing foil probably get the 19mm mast. It's the more common of the two. I listed the parts list as 16mm, but just change all the mast options to 19mm if you prefer that one.

Go to that link and choose these options.

Front Wing Size: PNG 910b

Rear Wing Size: 350p

Black Fuselage: Ultrashort 644mm

Aluminum mast Length 16mm: 750mm

Fuselage/Mast Adapter: 16mm Doodad

Mast Plate 16mm: 16mm

Screws/TefGel: Screws/Tefgel.

Total: $1512 USD

----------------------------------------

Ignore the carbon mast and 19mm mast options. You do not need Titanium screws. You can try asking for a Los Angeles Foil Club Discount. Not sure he does that anymore. Or you can try Josh in Seal Beach at the foil shop. He has a 910b setup in stock right now. He will set you up right.

http://instagr.am/p/Cb--1mngsdV/
Thank you

Curious, in retrospect now that everyone is some years into this how much did size of the board play into everything if you didn't have a boat to learn behind?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Thank you

Curious, in retrospect now that everyone is some years into this how much did size of the board play into everything if you didn't have a boat to learn behind?
It’s crucial. Makes it thousands of times easier.

if you have a fundamental understanding on how the wing flies it makes surfing it much easier. Otherwise you’re gonna have to figure that out simultaneously

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I am a fan of Axis as a good value all-rounder option these days. A buddy of mine prone foils them and rips, so they work. But Hdip's post reminds me of the main negative: overwhelming options! ;-)

Board...similar to learning surfing, you want something big enough you can paddle easy and easily catch white water. Your start will be popping up in white water, then doing a little ollie to get up onto foil. That's the problem with having too big a foil wing to start, it begins to rise up onto foil before you're popped up, ugly wipeouts occur.

Mast: standard for learning was a 24", now more typically to see 26-27". Doesn't make a huge difference. But you don't want the 30"+ for learning, and maybe not at all. More a wing thing than prone foil.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I wish I had shimmed my tail wing to control lift when I started.

If you start on a bigger wing, I have heard shimming the tail will keep it from flying out the water uncontrollably and will help with your learning process.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I don't think learning is that difficult. I was able to get up and surf a full wave by the third session. Stood up on my first session. The dynamics are different than surfing but anyone who is reasonably athletic should be able to pick it up fairly quick. I'm not ripping crazy turns or anything but I can go out and enjoy it.

I did get towed behind a boat a few times but I feel like towing behind a boat is too different. It's like comparing surfing to towing on a surfboard behind a boat. The rope makes it much easier to hold yourself up.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I don't think learning is that difficult. I was able to get up and surf a full wave by the third session. Stood up on my first session. The dynamics are different than surfing but anyone who is reasonably athletic should be able to pick it up fairly quick. I'm not ripping crazy turns or anything but I can go out and enjoy it.

I did get towed behind a boat a few times but I feel like towing behind a boat is too different. It's like comparing surfing to towing on a surfboard behind a boat. The rope makes it much easier to hold yourself up.
Yea but you learn how to control the wing which is most important to foiling successfully

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

What are you learning with?

What size mast? Seems like all the masts are bigger these days.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Because it's the proper mast length for prone surf foiling. Short masts used to be recommended to learn. The only benefit is you fall from 20 CM lower to the water. You're still going to fall. You'll have to replace that 55cm mast soon enough, so just buy the right one the first time.

90cm masts are to long for prone foil for the most part. Those are for tow and wing foil. There are some benefits to masts around 82cm, but just get the 75cm one and be good.