Best Florida Surf Town

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
So many wave pools in development in FL. Ft Pierce, Edgewater, Tampa bay, winter garden proposing one too recently. That’s just the ones I can think of.

I’m a gulf coaster also. Awesome place to grow up and then raise a family but not so much as a surfer. I love the space coast but it’s still pretty damn sleepy over there. Wife and I briefly considered moving there but family kept us here. St Augustine area would probably be my vote
Seeing zero movement on the Fort Pierce one. We need them desperately but I want to see some sh!t getting in gear.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
I like Brevard, surf it quite a bit, but don't think I would want to live there. Especially going forward. Can't see the train stopping when it comes to more blase/cookie cutter development, and overcrowding especially once they open the deseret ranch up and I am idealistic/optimistic, but can't see the lagoon clearing up anytime soon. I do like fishing in the MINWR though, but Titusville is pretty trife.

Hadn't been through Fort Pierce in a minute, but drove through some random streets there a month or so ago. Don't know of any other place on the East coast with that kind of living situation and social demographics so close to the river/surf. Seems like the last cheap place to live close by the water to me. So many closed homes and businesses. I don't surf there much, but like the surf in Stuart and the zone North of the powerplant seems to still have some seagrass.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Don't know of any other place on the East coast with that kind of living situation and social demographics so close to the river/surf. Seems like the last cheap place to live close by the water to me. So many closed homes and businesses. I don't surf there much, but like the surf in Stuart and the zone North of the powerplant seems to still have some seagrass.
There's a couple blocks in South Jax Beach by the projects, kinda behind Sunrise/Ding King/Jim Dunlop.
Atlantic Beach closer to Mayport Road for sure
Daytona Beach proper - dunno the demo but you can get into a studio condo ocean view for a hundo. Some single family homes in the two and half three three and a half zone.
Blue Heron zones Riviera Beach - especially mainland side (Top Six) all the way down to Okeechobee Blvd on the West side of Old Dixie/Quadrille and literally the train tracks. Riviera beachside by Palm Beach standards Pump House can be had for fractions on the penny compared to the Road. Real good bruiser jack fishing from the jetty there too.
Forest Hill WPB through Lantana and the Boynton Beach between US1 and Jog Rd.
I don't know the zones farther South all I think of is even more crowded and smaller surf and even more crowded and smaller parking lots.
Atlantic City, New Jersey, 100% no doubt.
Parts of Far Rockaway in Queens especially grading on the NYC curve - bring waders for storms and kevlar for you and your pitbull(s). Ask @Kento and @Subway but Mobb Deep Shook Ones pt 2 and Survival of the Fittest, probably Capone-n-Noriega Halfway Thugs, Nas Street Dreams for starters.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Hadn't been through Fort Pierce in a minute, but drove through some random streets there a month or so ago. Don't know of any other place on the East coast with that kind of living situation and social demographics so close to the river/surf. Seems like the last cheap place to live close by the water to me. So many closed homes and businesses. I don't surf there much, but like the surf in Stuart and the zone North of the powerplant seems to still have some seagrass.
I taught at a Ft. Pierce elementary school for a year in the early 2000’s. Was quite eye opening for many reasons, but a great experience. One of my co-worker’s husbands was a cop and SWAT team member there. The stories I heard were both sad and f’ing crazy. A buddy of mine and I decided to attend a reggae concert there with some legit artists. It was awesome. Pretty sure we were the only white people in the whole damn place and it was so chill and fun.

Regarding living, I quite liked the Treasure Coast (Port St. Lucie/Jensen Beach/Stuart) and prob wouldn’t have left if our fams weren’t all here in CA when we decided to have kids.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Grew up in Delray Beach, that would be my preference, has waves can get to Reef Road/Clark's and Sebastian when it calls for it.
-this was back in 1980s, I know the whole area is way over built

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
A friend just moved from Sonoma County, CA, surfing big, cold, meaty beachbreaks with big sharks to Cocoa Beach with smaller, warmer, waves and more, smaller sharks.

He's actually pretty psyched. He works for the govt and his [aychecks go a lot farther. They were able to buy a home again after selling one years ago in Santa Rosa before the latest round of appreciation. He wouldn't have been able to do that in CA. He also has 4 boys from preschool to high school that he's hoping will hang at the beach more now. And his wife is one of those weird adult Disney fanatics and the whole "happy wife, happy life" thing applies.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Grew up in Delray Beach, that would be my preference, has waves can get to Reef Road/Clark's and Sebastian when it calls for it.
-this was back in 1980s, I know the whole area is way over built
The bigger problems are the season in Delray lasts about half an hour, and the spots. It ain't the 80s no mo.

IMHO the sand at Reef Road sucks and it's basically a shorebreak with some North wind blockage and no parking. Maybe if it's massive out the back is good but the razorblading lefts with a fairly reliable exit haven't been seen in some time.

Delray proper is a very fun-looking wave in Winter minus the incredible crowd.

The sand at Sebastian sucks and first peak is dead. Some wind blockage on SSE winds are the only thing going for it other than it has showers and better fishing.

Reactions: dk1973

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
A friend just moved from Sonoma County, CA, surfing big, cold, meaty beachbreaks with big sharks to Cocoa Beach with smaller, warmer, waves and more, smaller sharks.

He's actually pretty psyched. He works for the govt and his [aychecks go a lot farther. They were able to buy a home again after selling one years ago in Santa Rosa before the latest round of appreciation. He wouldn't have been able to do that in CA. He also has 4 boys from preschool to high school that he's hoping will hang at the beach more now.
Just getting to the ocean from Santa Rosa is a slog, let alone actually surfing :drowning:
Plus it's not exactly a family friendly beach going experience.

And his wife is one of those weird adult Disney fanatics and the whole "happy wife, happy life" thing applies.
disgust-clint-eastwood.gif

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
1. Volusia County
2. Duval County
3. Brevard, aka Space Coast
4. St. Augustine/Flagler Counties
5. Sebastian/North Treasure Coast
6. Fort Piece/Central Treasure Coast
7. Jensen-Stuart/South Treasure Coast
8. Jupiter/Juno/Palm Beaches

If you're trying to convince the wife Volusia and she didn't like Cocoa, avoid going to Daytona proper. Try the "historic" district in New Smyrna. Or just North of Daytona, there is a road called Beach St/Riverside Drive. It's on the West side of the Intracoastal, nice views of the "river", and then it passes through Tomoka and Bulow Creek State Parks. Some creeks/spartina and lots of old, undeveloped hammock forest. Tree-shaded roads. Pretty.

Ponce is the best right in the state - Sebastian died about 20 years ago and the catapult take off, tube, and oncoming ender ramp has gone the way of the dodo. New Smyrna is crowded, but much more spread out, shifty, currenty, wash-through-y etc. than other spots. Does a decent job breaking through the tides. Usually much less frustrating to get a wave at New Smyrna vs Ponce Inlet, Jax Pier, Vilano, Fort Pierce Inlet, Juno Pier, Delray....

In Duval County, Neptune and Atlantic Beaches are nicer/quieter than Jax Beach. So don't go over the Beach Blvd or JTB bridge and drive North on A1A if she didn't like Cocoa. Come over Atlantic, hang a left on Sherry, and drive up to 18th St, park and surf check. Jax Pier (mid-high) and Mayport (lower, usually) are the second most consistent spots after Smyrna/Ponce. Better tide options and better Summer swell than Space Coast. Walk-to-surf housing more affordable. There's lots of B/C-grade beachbreak to spread out.

Brevard isn't flat all summer, but it's worse in Summer than North Florida. Better in Winter, but the spots South are better than Brevard in Winter. Recommend Melbourne zones and Satellite Beach. The reason I have it third is it doesn't get as much trade swell, wants a little more swell to get rideable, and in my opinion, if it's not low tide, you're fucked unless you like bodyboarding shorebreak.

St Augustine/Flagler is quieter. No wind protection. Kind of fickle, mid-ish tide spots depending on side and period.

The rest of it, basically every mile you go farther South, you need more North in the swell and more money in your bank account, there's usually less access to the beach, fewer spots - except Fort Pierce Inlet which is nuclear crowded.
Thanks for all the info Sharkbiscuit - I went to college in Daytona (a looongg time ago), nice to get updated on the surf down there. I loved surfing down there, waves weren't the best but was a fun place to be a broke ass college kid

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Indian Creek seems nice
If you hate surfing and love humidity I'm sure it is. Personally I'd WAY rather have one of those South PBC Mar-a-Lago style jobs or a house in the Keys if I had that kind of money and wanted to spend it in South Florida.

But if instead of living in a stunning place like The Ranch, you want to get plowed by a plastic tranny sporting a horse hair wig in complete privacy, Indian Creek is probably the go?

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
From west coast Florida, currently living in Hawaii. I never want to leave, but I have a feeling the wifey is going to push for the move back in a couple years. Before we roast her, she agreed to a year in HI and we’re now in talks of 2-3yrs.

Trying to get ahead of the planning so if we do have to move back we can compromise on a solid place I can still surf. I grew up making trips to Sebastian inlet, cocoa, etc but I don’t remember the towns much at all. If money were not an issue, what area would you guys be looking? We’re both younger and still enjoy going out and having some drinks. Ideally want to be in a surf town with good food, bars, and surf.
I have recently lived in the Brevard area, Satellite Beach to be exact. I was less than a 5-minute bike ride to RCs. I loved it. The proximity to the beach was good for optimizing my sessions to line up with the short surf windows. My family loved it as well because we were spending time in the water almost all the time. Below the Cape, it doesn't get as cold, and it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to have a warm beach day in January. I had a lot of water time, and I never had issues with crowds. The beaches are too wide and people can spread out. The everyday surf won't ever really get your adrenaline going save for a couple of days a year, but it's enough to enjoy the activity. I referred to it as more of a "Utilitarian" type of surfing life. But Sharkbiscuit is right, during the summer, the Space Coast rarely even picks up the short-period stuff and it can be a hot/flat hell. Better for fishing. All of the days where I drove up to NSB for surf were during June/July, all to just to get my fix during that stretch.

Good food is available, but is very hard to find though. Most of the bars and restaurants in Brevard cater to the tourists/retiree crowd, and their tastes are along the "fried wings/seafood and beer" categories. You'll have to find the good places, and may have to venture to Orlando or Tampa to get specialty food.

The downside is that it's getting way too expensive to live there (actually, all of the livable places in FL are). A certain demographic have further discovered the area and are flocking in droves. I actually don't mind, some actually brought decent pizza establishments down, but vibe was already changing rapidly when we moved. Still a decent place to plant roots though.

I have plenty of friends who are from Hawaii. They are NOT in Hawaii now, and their stories of why they left kinda bums me out. Probably best to discuss in the different thread.

Good luck with your move if you and your SO go through with it!

Reactions: tcureton and Brawwp
Jan 11, 2022
I’m kind of just waiting to hear if the wave pool opens in edgewater. I don’t understand how it’s supposed to open next month and there are no updates anywhere. Getting worried it got shut down.

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
If you hate surfing and love humidity I'm sure it is. Personally I'd WAY rather have one of those South PBC Mar-a-Lago style jobs or a house in the Keys if I had that kind of money and wanted to spend it in South Florida.

But if instead of living in a stunning place like The Ranch, you want to get plowed by a plastic tranny sporting a horse hair wig in complete privacy, Indian Creek is probably the go?

One of the richest guys in the world, and he settles for that overly botoxed, fake titted , ham thighed skank? WTH?!?!?!

There are thousands of smoking hot South American and Eastern European girls in Miami and he picks her? What a dumb ass.

Reactions: Chocki and Havoc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
One of the richest guys in the world, and he settles for that overly botoxed, fake titted , ham thighed skank? WTH?!?!?!

There are thousands of smoking hot South American and Eastern European girls in Miami and he picks her? What a dumb ass.
She picked 'em and she dicked 'em.

To be fair from what I've heard of Eastern European girls, Jeff Bezos's net worth would be half of Jeff Bezos's net worth after about sex, I mean six, months.

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com

With all the advancements in technology we've made, how is plastic surgery still this bad?

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc