Best Flip Flops?

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I have a pair of these. I have flat feet so I need a sandal w/ an arch. Had the double arch Rainbows for a long time, but they still hurt my feet if I wore them for more than a couple of hours.

I saw the podiatrist in grad school b/c my knuckles would swell after surfing. Made me some custom arch supports, and told me I'd never want to wear sandals again. Pretty much wear them w/ shoes 99% of the time, now. Barely wore shoes before that.

The other day, I walked about a mile in the olukais carrying a boat battery (don't ask), and my feet never hurt. Only downside to them is the EVA top gets slippery when wet.

Dream slippah:
- good traction on top and bottom when wet
- good arch
- strap tight to top of foot so you don't have to grab w/ your toes when you step

Reactions: Aruka and jkb

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Man I have flat-ish feet and hate arches in anything. I used to wear metal plates in my shoes as a kid. Didn't do sh!t. I just let my feet be flat and have no issues. But when I see anything that emphasizes arches I run away. Hence the Havianas.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Man I have flat-ish feet and hate arches in anything. I used to wear metal plates in my shoes as a kid. Didn't do sh!t. I just let my feet be flat and have no issues. But when I see anything that emphasizes arches I run away. Hence the Havianas.
I have really flat feet and now I can't wear anything w/o arch support.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
My olukai's are wearing through the top and I will want a new pair long before the soles wear out. I have worn custom orthotics due to foot issues for a long time but I seem to be weening off of them and am able to wear normal shoes again as long as their stability shoes. It's pretty nice actually.

Chacos also had good sandals that offered a bit of support but the olukais are the most comfortable

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
It's the lost tribe, the Rastafaians:

I have heard of a jewaiian but never a jawaiian:shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Anyone tried the all rubber Scotts like the Jawaiian or the Kumu? Look like better quality Havianas but a little wide.
the rubber strap ones like that (lotsa companies make similar ones) irritate my toes if i wear them a lot. had one pair i think from quiksillver i think because they was on sale but never again. maybe scotts different but i see that smooth rubber strap and always think no thanks. Dont have those issue with locals or surfah slippas

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
It's the lost tribe, the Rastafaians:

Any thing rubber and rasta color is a big no no for me regardless how good product:bricks: I was able to wipe gerry's aloha bs off my rainbows plus all black so does not stand out:shaka:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Yeah, I get it, it's like white dreads.

Those Gerry Rainbows, are they pretty minimal or more bulky?

Any thing rubber and rasta color is a big no no for me regardless how good product:bricks: I was able to wipe gerry's aloha bs off my rainbows plus all black so does not stand out:shaka:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Yeah, I get it, it's like white dreads.

Those Gerry Rainbows, are they pretty minimal or more bulky?
Little less then double and have some nice touches with soft leather straps and crater like top that distracts h20 drys fast plus cushions feet. I think biggest plus is the grippy bottom if you do dirt trails up and down hills on way to surf etc like I do :shaka:

Reactions: waxurDyl

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Rainbow double layer use to always go leather but last pairs tried lopez model and really like em for comfort, durability, and yes can get wet dry fast. Only issue is gey logos on side but easily removed :shaka:
I didnt know you could get rainbows wet? :unsure:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
scott's in hawaii feel like the originals from the 60's-70's
everyone else is a copy after the surf industry (clothing) was created
kind of like vans for skate shoes and Teva's for adventure sandals
the led the way

currently I find crocs the most comfy
kind of like felt bottom tabi's for dry landing
slippahs get stinky after a while.

The OG Jawaiians

Brother Noland and the Pacific Bad Boys (the song that started it all 1986)

Natural Vibrations

Hoaikane