Best Flip Flops?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Havaianas

I have been wearing them since 2003

I don't like the bulkiness of most flip flops so they are great.

The soles last a while and they won't blow out. Mine are laying out in the sun all day when they're not on me.

They are cheap. Probably buy a new pair every year and I wear them more than the average person. I wear them in black. $18. These ones:

RE: Rainbows - I haven't had a pair since the late 90s and they wear in great but like any other flip flop sole...after a while you become a slip-n-fall attorney's wet dream. So you end up with an ultra comfortable flip flop that is useless.

Reactions: Havoc

nada2looz

OTF status
Mar 16, 2016
not a brand you'd think of but i've been wearing northface flip flops for a long time and they're great. the bumps under foot give a little bit of massage and provide grip when your feet get wet and keep your foot from slipping off. they've been mvp's for climbing around the rocky 'beaches' on the big island.

Reactions: Havoc

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Sanuk hemp vagabond side walk surfers are great. Mine have lasted years going to and from the water across hot sand, rocks, mud, etc... wider base makes it a little easier to walk on sand too.

Last edited:
Reactions: aldo and Havoc

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
+1 with the notable exception that they seem to vary a lot from one pair to another and they do blow out, sometimes when they are still pretty new.

Just bought a new pair and the strap is super loose making them almost unwearable where an older, broken in pair actually is tighter to my feet.

Would love something like a haviana but a little better made.

Havaianas

I have been wearing them since 2003

I don't like the bulkiness of most flip flops so they are great.

The soles last a while and they won't blow out. Mine are laying out in the sun all day when they're not on me.

They are cheap. Probably buy a new pair every year and I wear them more than the average person. I wear them in black. $18. These ones:

RE: Rainbows - I haven't had a pair since the late 90s and they wear in great but like any other flip flop sole...after a while you become a slip-n-fall attorney's wet dream. So you end up with an ultra comfortable flip flop that is useless.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Freewater lowest price rubber sandal is best value to comfort in my opinion.

Sparky is legend like Rainbow Sandals. For best looking to value to comfort to surf history, Rainbows forever.
FreeWater's have been my "go-to" sandals for 5+ years....Love them. Cobian a strong 2nd. I guess it all depends on the conditions you'll be wearing them.

I wear my "flip flops" almost every day, which includes a couple miles in soft sand(daily) and on the street.

I bought a pair of Olukai's last year...They didn't last any longer than the FreeWater's or Cobian's.

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
going to baja next month. need some good flip flops for walking on pavement and beach. must be able to get wet. whatz best?

olukai r ok but not enough padding for longer walks
throw in a pair of Reef One flip-flops (or slides if you prefer slides). single piece construction, indestructible, light, waterproof, comfortable, and you can probably get a pair for less than $30 if you find a coupon. They're my favorite but they're cheap enough to throw in as a backup in case you don't like them.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD

These have proven themselves hiking in the talus of many boulder-finding adventures. Good rubber and good comfort. Squeak-free afaik. I own these. Don't seem to blow out either, but these are new versions of my tried-and-true OG evolv slippahs, so YMMV.

I recommend.

rossky

OTF status
Apr 4, 2006

So comfortable and durable. I'll only buy these after disappointments with Reef and Rainbow.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Anyone tried the all rubber Scotts like the Jawaiian or the Kumu? Look like better quality Havianas but a little wide.