Best crowd killer performance board

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
So I was gonna order from Robert but while looking around online I happened to notice a 7' MID 6 was available at Rider Shack in LA so I jetted out there and bought it. Didn't think I'd be able to get one of these anytime soon.

The thing paddles like a demon, is fast, and maneuverable like a short bort. Can't wait to try it in bigger surf.

If you see me with this thing in the water, don't worry, I'm not greedy, I'll let you get a couple of waves.

IMG_0520.jpg

Last edited:

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I made the file for that board. With Rob of course providing direction. As I recall it was based on one of my personal boards only my outline was wider in the nose. It was indeed a mid size board but it had a bit more rocker than most, was EPS/expoxy and it would actually go amazingly well in tiny waves with a little bit of curve in the face. I surfed with Rob one day and I was having an increasingly rarer (as I age) good day and getting almost dead vertical hits in a little over knee high surf, full wrap cutbaks with an easy foam ball bounce etc. As I remember it was a 7'2". Vertical hits in two foot surf with a board that big looks fairly unusual. That's a lot of board going over the top of the wave. Rob borrowed it and felt my wider nose was getting the way. It was, I sucked on the board backside. But frontside the issue was nonexistent for me. Some of that is technique. In tiny waves backside I want to move up on a board and with a wide nose too much rail is in the water forward on turns, which is a problem at low speeds. At higher speeds I can more weight back and the problem largely goes away. Anyway, I still have the board somewhere. I have multiple rooms, garages and shops with boards stashed. I forget about surfboards until I happen to see them in the racks again. But the board IMO is kind of a stealth, undercover midsize for guys who don't want to ride a midsize.

I will say I that Robert has a Dream Machine model, a Dream Catcher model and a Dream Maker model. I have threatened him with death if he names another board with a "Dream" prefix. It doesn't sound that complicated, but after I have cut 20 or so boards, one Dream starts sounding like another. I get stupider as the day wears on. There was one Dream Machine order that was something like 5'6" x 22 x 2 5/8 (You want a tiny little grovel board, the Dream Machine should be a consideration. My son rides the above dimensions at about 6'1" X 185 lbs) Anyway, I mixed up my dreams and cut a Dream Catcher in the Dream Machine dimensions. It actually looked really cool. I have no idea what happened to it.

Another one i keep threatening to cut for myself is the Metamorph. It's kind of an upscale grovel board. Thigh to chest high+. Which in CA is probably over half of what we ride. Especially going into summer. But every time I cut one I pull it of the machine and it just screams Bonzer fin setup to me. I want one. Like I need another surfboard. My father is in what we believe to be the end stages of passing right now. I haven't surfed for weeks. Some day I hope to get that back. But right now, I work, sit with my father and workout in the garage. Hopefully when I get through this I'm still a surfer.
Condolences about your father, GWS. The Metamorph and Dream Machine have always looked super fun
to me.

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
I made the file for that board. With Rob of course providing direction. As I recall it was based on one of my personal boards only my outline was wider in the nose. It was indeed a mid size board but it had a bit more rocker than most, was EPS/expoxy and it would actually go amazingly well in tiny waves with a little bit of curve in the face. I surfed with Rob one day and I was having an increasingly rarer (as I age) good day and getting almost dead vertical hits in a little over knee high surf, full wrap cutbaks with an easy foam ball bounce etc. As I remember it was a 7'2". Vertical hits in two foot surf with a board that big looks fairly unusual. That's a lot of board going over the top of the wave. Rob borrowed it and felt my wider nose was getting the way. It was, I sucked on the board backside. But frontside the issue was nonexistent for me. Some of that is technique. In tiny waves backside I want to move up on a board and with a wide nose too much rail is in the water forward on turns, which is a problem at low speeds. At higher speeds I can more weight back and the problem largely goes away. Anyway, I still have the board somewhere. I have multiple rooms, garages and shops with boards stashed. I forget about surfboards until I happen to see them in the racks again. But the board IMO is kind of a stealth, undercover midsize for guys who don't want to ride a midsize.

I will say I that Robert has a Dream Machine model, a Dream Catcher model and a Dream Maker model. I have threatened him with death if he names another board with a "Dream" prefix. It doesn't sound that complicated, but after I have cut 20 or so boards, one Dream starts sounding like another. I get stupider as the day wears on. There was one Dream Machine order that was something like 5'6" x 22 x 2 5/8 (You want a tiny little grovel board, the Dream Machine should be a consideration. My son rides the above dimensions at about 6'1" X 185 lbs) Anyway, I mixed up my dreams and cut a Dream Catcher in the Dream Machine dimensions. It actually looked really cool. I have no idea what happened to it.

Another one i keep threatening to cut for myself is the Metamorph. It's kind of an upscale grovel board. Thigh to chest high+. Which in CA is probably over half of what we ride. Especially going into summer. But every time I cut one I pull it of the machine and it just screams Bonzer fin setup to me. I want one. Like I need another surfboard. My father is in what we believe to be the end stages of passing right now. I haven't surfed for weeks. Some day I hope to get that back. But right now, I work, sit with my father and workout in the garage. Hopefully when I get through this I'm still a surfer.
I have a custom metatwin that I got in december that I'm riding with his twin fins (which are pretty different than most out there). I love that board. You probably cut it. ha! I originally was going to get a metamorph or a bro-fish but I got sucked into the whole twin fin thing and went metatwin.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
If it was custom ordered, it's almost 100% that I cut it. My son does work here and there for Robert. He's sanded and ghost shaped over there. He got a Meta a few months back and he's pretty much not ridden anything else since. It's his current favorite.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
So I was gonna order from Robert but while looking around online I happened to notice a 7' MID 6 was available at Rider Shack in LA so I jetted out there and bought it. Didn't think I'd be able to get one of these anytime soon.

The thing paddles like a demon, is fast, and maneuverable like a short bort. Can't wait to try it in bigger surf.

If you see me with this thing in the water, don't worry, I'm not greedy, I'll let you get a couple of waves.

View attachment 129597
not a big FW fan but that looks fun

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
not a big FW fan but that looks fun
No chance someone drops $1k on this unless they are a HUGE FW fan... and already have (at least) 1 of the Potato models by Mann in their quiver. Let’s be honest: you will not see this boar IRL ridden at your local break anywhere close to that level in the video.
Edit: But to each their own

Last edited:

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
No chance someone drops $1k on this unless they are a HUGE FW fan... and already have (at least) 1 of the Potato models by Mann in their quiver. Let’s be honest: you will not see this boar IRL ridden at your local break anywhere close to that level in the video.
Edit: But to each their own
I dont know Hans Hagen was out the other day on a beater 8 foot board and ripping even with bum knee. But yea I get it...

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
guess we should only be talking about ...lost then since thread is titled as "Crowd Killer" :cheers:
Ride report? I saw used one at board source last week. Wait maybe it was a smoothoperator or a partycrasher? Well, I’m not a Lost guy, but it sure looked like it would catch a lot of waves. Someone is gonna kill the crowd in NCSD!