Best crowd killer performance board

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
No chance someone drops $1k on this unless they are a HUGE FW fan... and already have (at least) 1 of the Potato models by Mann in their quiver. Let’s be honest: you will not see this boar IRL ridden at your local break anywhere close to that level in the video.
Edit: But to each their own
He's not doing anything fancy, but yeah, mid-life on a mid-length is not always pretty.

Reactions: oeste858

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Stronger and better material and build and can only personally speak for CFT medium but read enough here to know lighter as well :shaka: I have seen enough Roberts boards in 805 area and could say with all confidence better glass job as well and better foam material. When it comes down to it for me a least spending a couple hundred more (Fireturd, lost, CI) for a longer lasting lighter piece of mind'" board makes sense plus supporting local shapers and handcrafted boards:cheers:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Stronger and better material and build and can only personally speak for CFT medium but read enough here to know lighter as well :shaka: I have seen enough Roberts boards in 805 area and could say with all confidence better glass job as well and better foam material. When it comes down to it for me a least spending a couple hundred more (Fireturd, lost, CI) for a longer lasting lighter piece of mind'" board makes sense plus supporting local shapers and handcrafted boards:cheers:
Just saying that several different constructions are better than thunderbolt without explanation is hardly convincing. :rolleyes:

Also, XTR and Varial offer designs from a variety of shapers. Whatever weird aversion you have to shapers outside of your comfort zone sounds like a personal problem. Good luck with that.

As for cost, the CI Mid (compared to the HI Mid6), for example, is around 30% - 40% more expensive in Spintech/XTR/Varial. I assume that's because the CI brand commands a higher price.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
As a counterpoint being in Australia I don't have the option to buy Varial, XTR or Stretch CFT directly as you guys do in the US but I have found the thunderbolt red boards to be very strong, lively underfoot and they do have waterproof foam. If you picked up one of the Mid 6's in a shop (before recoiling in horror at what you'd just done and throwing it to the floor) then I doubt you'd say you'd want a mid length to be lighter. The board would be unscathed though.
I also support my local shaper who does the full mung bean eco friendly board construction which are super strong and great to ride but have very little resale value which isn't the case for the thunderbolt boards.
I buy used ones at the right price then sell them when I've had my way with them and usually come out in front $s wise.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Oh, and the Stretch midlength is literally designed for a non-surfer. :LOL:

That was a variation a funbord if you looked close the It model is mid length stretch factory has been making for long time. I own 6'9" x19.5 x2.5" twin pintail:shaka:
Point to Xtr and varial was you can get top notch shapers in better construction for same price as fireturd from other shapers.
Personal problem having conversations with actual shaper who is going to shape my board instead of a taiwan knock off :shrug:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I will say I could get Billy Tolhurst who shaped the original Mid 6 boards to shape me one but it would be in poly and if anywhere near the weight of the thunderbolt boards would look like its deck had been attacked by a vengeful ex-wife after a handful of surfs. Local surf shop has scanned the Mid 6 and made them in epoxy but aren't much better than the polys strength wise.
If you're comparing "cruisey" longboarder on a mid length shapes like the IT then compare that to the to the Tolhurst MOE. The Mid 6 does legit shortboard turns off the tail and has excellent acceleration out of those turns.
Saffa mate of mine who is 95 kgs and buys and sells boards like we change our underwear has a 7' Mid6 he loves and absolutely rips on it. He just bought a Chilli mid strength last week and we've had a continuous run of solid waves at the outer points of Noosa. He just put the mid strength up for sale.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I will say I could get Billy Tolhurst who shaped the original Mid 6 boards to shape me one but it would be in poly and if anywhere near the weight of the thunderbolt boards would look like its deck had been attacked by a vengeful ex-wife after a handful of surfs. Local surf shop has scanned the Mid 6 and made them in epoxy but aren't much better than the polys strength wise.
If you're comparing "cruisey" longboarder on a mid length shapes like the IT then compare that to the to the Tolhurst MOE. The Mid 6 does legit shortboard turns off the tail and has excellent acceleration out of those turns.
No ride comparing never tried mid 6 only had 2x mids in last 20 years a It2win and a MP from fineline. Me personally when I ride mid not trying to shortboard prefer cruising trim long drawn out bottom turn long carves and a cheater 5 or two:shaka:

Reactions: Retropete

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Point to Xtr and varial was you can get top notch shapers in better construction for same price as fireturd from other shapers.
XTR, Varial, and Firewire have some of the same shapers, numbnuts. If CI did a deal with Firewire, the CI Mid, for instance, would still sell for around $1,400. Are you starting to understand that brands position themselves differently yet???

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
That was a variation a funbord if you looked close the It model is mid length stretch factory has been making for long time. I own 6'9" x19.5 x2.5" twin pintail:shaka:
Personal problem having conversations with actual shaper who is going to shape my board instead of a taiwan knock off :shrug:
Darshan is a very nice guy and surfs well. Always hooking me up in santa cruz.

Reactions: rowjimmytour