Best car rental in Costa Rica?

Waldo

Duke status
Jan 24, 2002
Shangri-La
I think we used Thrifty, and they were OK. They treated us right when we wanted to upgrade from the tin can we'd originally booked (got a RAV4 instead - much nicer), and they had soft racks available at no extra charge. Helped that we went through an agency for all our arrangements - they may or may not care much about one customer, but they didn't want to lose the agency's business, so they kept us happy.

When we returned the car, there was a bit of damage to the underside of the front bumper. Must have been a rock strike, cause it tore a 2" gash through the plastic undercladding. Not sure if it happened when we had the car or not, but the agency goofed: They drove the car back to their storage lot before they spotted the damage and showed it to us. I told them that as far as I was concerned, it probably just happened while they were driving it on their lot, and unless they could prove it one way or the other, it was their problem.

When renting a car, I always assume they're gonna try to get me for something, so I watch everything very carefully, esp in another country!

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
Elegante is the only one (I believe) that provides full coverage (no deductible) insurance.

They're on the web.

By the way, when we returned the car, they did check to see if my soft racks dented the roof. They didn't but I wasn't even thinking about that one.

Lost0rz

Nep status
Jul 2, 2003
??
How do u get around if u dont rent a car???

did u just take a taxi to a hotel on a well known spot and stay at that one spot the whole time???

anyways, send me a pm, i just bought a book on Surfing in costa rica.. so i can give u some info on car rentals.

and like waldo was sayin.. MAKE SURE U CHECK FOR ANY DAMAGE BEFORE U TAKE THE CAR. often times itl come with damage on and ull have to pay for it, if u didnt look for it before u got it.

sdsurfing

Phil Edwards status
Dec 12, 2003
Carlsbad, CA
Toyota Rent-a-Car is the best!!! I had no problems with them at all the the 4Runner we got was in great shape. I took digital photos of the truck when we picked it up so we could prove what damage was there when we got it. They're also right next to the airport in San Jose. We took the 4Runner to Pavones and offroaded for 2 weeks. Brough it back covered in mud, and they said it looked like we had a great time.

http://www.carrental-toyota-costarica.com/