Best board for choppy waves?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Alright bros, I’m bored and procrastinating some spreadsheet work. So, what’s your best board for windy, sideshore, choppy waves?
I’ve been impressed with my Hawaiian grovelers (Pyzel Gremlin and Akila Contemporary Fish) in these sloppy bumpy waves lately. If it’s overhead, R. Blackbird cuts through chop like a boss.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Pointy noses with a little flip to stay above the water are my go to in chop. They seem to cut through better. Flat wide round noses my least favorite in those conditions.

Reactions: bluengreen

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’m sold on having a bit of V in the entry to cut through it like on the blackbird.

highly refined foils that are paper thin under the chest and thus front foot don’t work so well. Sucks for paddling in chop and sucks for dealing with the surfing equivalent of chowder.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
For me, a bit of extra length works.

Shorter boards (PU and Epoxy) feel like ping pong balls in chop.

Longer boards smooth it out enough to tolerate it.

If I was ordering a board specifically for chop, it would have a little extra length and vee up front. Maybe a slightly denser blank.

Reactions: Aruka

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Pointy noses with a little flip to stay above the water are my go to in chop. They seem to cut through better. Flat wide round noses my least favorite in those conditions.
Reverse for me and find beak or what stretch calls buzz nose bezt. My gbuzz is like a brick that you can skate cuts thru any thing at 2 .375" with sk8 deck.
Gbuzz 5'2" x20.25" x2.375" diamond tail sk8 deck use FU#3 quad set:shaka:

Reactions: Spinktopus

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I found my fish beak nose cuts chop better than anything. Don't know if it is more volume up front or something else?

I surf a lot of spots with onshore winds. Thinking my next board will be a beak nose to see if my theory actually works.