Best boar in your quiver?

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
me 5’10 x 170 x fkn old

magic one is a 7’2. The 6’6 is pretty close in magic too. I think my 6’2 malolo will prly nudge both out once I ride it more
well theres fkn old snd then theres ol as fck

im the latter. dig my 6-6 but it needs the jussie. 7-2 wifow maker needs the hole. 8-4 makaha and 9-0 tankah are the chit in every thing

Reactions: Woke AF and Havoc

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
For San Diego, no doubt it’s the baño by tam stimps with upright twins. i usually surf mediocre beach break and mellower reef breaks but it’s handled barrels under head high like a champ. So easy to surf and fun. Grovels descent. Total package.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
For San Diego, no doubt it’s the baño by tam stimps with upright twins. i usually surf mediocre beach break and mellower reef breaks but it’s handled barrels under head high like a champ. So easy to surf and fun. Grovels descent. Total package.
I almost said Banjo. If I lived somewhere with smaller, cleaner waves more often it'd be an easy call.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
have You surfed that step up banjo much?
yeah enough. it's fun but OG is better. i had tim add a center fin box for trailer and that changed the side fin placement. it goes fine as a twin + trailer but i still prefer it as a strait twin. if i was to do it over I'd ask for an even narrower tail and no center box.

for more of a good wave fish I prefer the Album Lightbender.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I’ll keep that in mind. I was going to talk to Tim about a step up banjo for the reefs I surf in the winter that occasionally barrel but generally are big slopers where you really just need volume to be in the spot.

Reactions: urchined and Aruka

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
McNeil Mini Pip is the best board I own. For the conditions it is intended for (and beyond if it’s not too hollow) it is perfect for me.

I like the versatility and ease of use of my neckbeard 2 but it’s more of a jack of all trades than a master like the Mini Pip.

Last edited:

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
My Rad Ripper has been footing the bill since mid summer. Barely touched my other boards.
Feels lively, one pump and its off to the races. Pretty good groveler but not full on and handles OH.

Reactions: Aruka

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
30.5 L but feels like 32 to me due to XTR foam. Never feels too small.
Anytime you wanna try it. Let's surf one morning.
Sounds good. Maybe a little small but would be fun to try again. Only one I tried was a FW at a size too small. had some moments of magic with a sprinkling of wtf.

rode my mitsven glider today. We need to do a session at the point someday on those.

Reactions: oeste858 and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I’ll keep that in mind. I was going to talk to Tim about a step up banjo for the reefs I surf in the winter that occasionally barrel but generally are big slopers where you really just need volume to be in the spot.
Have you tried a long twin yet? Round tail twins are pretty rad for what you are describing. A bit more paddle, glide and hold with the length but with the right design and fins they can be pretty loose and fishy feeling. That's kind of what I've settled on for when I wanna ride a twin in bigger surf.