Best boar in your quiver?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Forgot until recently how fast my buzzsaw 5'7" 19" 2.18" sk8 pintail quad was and loves good barrels.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
after much contemplation I’m thinking my Banjo fish takes it.

I admit it wasn’t love at first surf. Too many HP boards waiting to be ridden after the 2019-2020 doldrums of surf.

could make a two board quiver paired with a nice step up. consistently works knee to hh.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
after much contemplation I’m thinking my Banjo fish takes it.

I admit it wasn’t love at first surf. Too many HP boards waiting to be ridden after the 2019-2020 doldrums of surf.

could make a two board quiver paired with a nice step up. consistently works knee to hh.
I also vote banjo, rode it in 4-6' reef waves today with occasional barrels and it was not at all out of it's element despite having a great low end.

BentoBox70

OTF status
Dec 9, 2016
South Bay CA
The Chumlee is amazing, its almost not fair. It works in a wide range of conditions. Not sure why they stopped making it.
I agree.
I did see one on CL with the new 2021 branding.
I'm sure it's available via custom order, OR off the rack at the Carlsbad store, OR sometimes as blems at some local surf shops.
Just need to keep an eye out.

Aloha.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
Right now: 7'6" Firewire Submoon TimberTek.

Ever: Firewire Chumlee (sold it, waiting for a smaller one)
I busted my Helium Chumlee and have been looking for another one. I got such an excellent deal on it when the local carriers were phasing it out, I should have bought 2. Now, a brand new has to be specially ordered from Firewire and it may take months to get it, in addition to taking a $1k hit on the wallet when you include tax and shipping.

But I agree, it's a great all around board. Works in all sorts of conditions and can be pushed to head or just slightly over. I admit its factory made, but had so many great, fun sessions in it. Improved my surfing a lot.

I've been doing some research on what other FW models come close or give the same feel. I held a Twice Baked but it feels chunkier and heavier, plus I am not a fan of the Timbertek look (who really likes those?)

Reactions: BentoBox70

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I busted my Helium Chumlee and have been looking for another one. I got such an excellent deal on it when the local carriers were phasing it out, I should have bought 2. Now, a brand new has to be specially ordered from Firewire and it may take months to get it, in addition to taking a $1k hit on the wallet when you include tax and shipping.

But I agree, it's a great all around board. Works in all sorts of conditions and can be pushed to head or just slightly over. I admit its factory made, but had so many great, fun sessions in it. Improved my surfing a lot.

I've been doing some research on what other FW models come close or give the same feel. I held a Twice Baked but it feels chunkier and heavier, plus I am not a fan of the Timbertek look (who really likes those?)
Taiwan well be stocked:shaka:

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
5'7 Roberts Bro Fish w/ medium Twonzer fins. I've been riding it exclusively for the past year in every condition from knee high to well well well over head rollers with some tubes thrown in at times. Up 3 L from 2019 boards so I catch a ton more waves while still carving a pretty mean turn with a smoother approach than my skinny board past. At 51 with bad knees and shoulders so I may be fish guy from here on out.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
5’8 CC fish with glass ons. Great in everything from DOH to just above grovel surf. So fast, flowing And fun.

Reactions: surfwhere

BentoBox70

OTF status
Dec 9, 2016
South Bay CA
... I should have bought 2... great all around board... Improved my surfing a lot... Twice Baked but it feels chunkier and heavier...
I can't say enough about the Chumlee. As time goes on, I will need to face the possibility of NOT finding the size I want, used. I may need to bite the bullet and do a special / custom order.

I too tried the Twice Baked and had the same experience you mentioned. It did feel chunkier and heavier. It felt sluggish in the water. I think the Twice Baked should have been made in Helium or LFT.

Timbertek is too heavy for groveling. Timbertek is good as a PU alternative, where a little more weight is needed to counter chop or moving water. I only have Timbertek in my mid-lengths and longboards.

Aloha