Best bargain brand wetsuit?

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Had a LOT of good luck with Excel and always pay under 200 clams for em via seshday or whatever.

Buell, had 2, so comfortable, so warm, so easy to put on, but the inside fabric layer would delaminate from the foam rubber very quickly. The fact I never rinse (when I get home, I do flush em at the car) or wash my suits may have been an issue, but I shouldn't have to, man.

I need a 3/2 for down here though, that RB3 for $200 sounds pretty good. Anyone sell Buell's in SoCal?
HSS has them

Apr 6, 2015
just caved and ordered another rip curl dawn patrol 4.3 for the winter. for the price theyve been consistently ok for me so I figure stick with what ya know.
How's the Dawn Patrol going for you now that the water temp dropped? Was eyeing one over the weekend. Got freakin' cold around here, really fast...

I'm resigned to getting a new suit now, based on shivering too much yesterday, but only want to spend around $200. Looking at the Need Essentials, the Dawn Patrol and the various Xcels that are perpetually on sale (which always makes me wonder). The Vissla North Seas looked good, but not sure they even make that anymore...

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
How's the Dawn Patrol going for you now that the water temp dropped? Was eyeing one over the weekend. Got freakin' cold around here, really fast...

I'm resigned to getting a new suit now, based on shivering too much yesterday, but only want to spend around $200. Looking at the Need Essentials, the Dawn Patrol and the various Xcels that are perpetually on sale (which always makes me wonder). The Vissla North Seas looked good, but not sure they even make that anymore...
I havent busted out the 4/3 just yet, but I havent surfed since Friday so the water was still pretty warm. still in a 3/2 dawn patrol from last year thats been fine up until this point. i'll give it ago Friday if theres anything to surf.

Apr 6, 2015
Anybody have feedback on NeedEssentials sizing? I wear a large Billabong Furnace, which fits me fine, but I'm right on the cusp between large and XLS on the NeedEssentials size chart. Curious if they tend to run small or not...

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I’ve got an XLT Needs. I think weight chart goes up to 210 for it. I’m about 230 and fits me well. Snug but not overly tight. XXL was a little too loose for me. I‘m usually between XLT and XXL.

Reactions: sjlist

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Anybody have feedback on NeedEssentials sizing? I wear a large Billabong Furnace, which fits me fine, but I'm right on the cusp between large and XLS on the NeedEssentials size chart. Curious if they tend to run small or not...
L should be fine. Billabongs run small IMO. Needs seem pretty normal size-wise

Reactions: sjlist

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California

finally busted out the ripcurl dp 4/3 this morning. was really warm - was moving around quite a bit and not to many long lulls, but so far so good. felt light and stretchy enough. wouldn't say it was necessarily cold this morning though and I def couldve gotten away with the 3/2.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Any of you know sizing for the o'neill hyperfreak? I'm 6'0 ~160lbs. Cleanline has a medium Tall in stock, but their size chart says 6'1-6'3 so Im wondering if that will be too long.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Any of you know sizing for the o'neill hyperfreak? I'm 6'0 ~160lbs. Cleanline has a medium Tall in stock, but their size chart says 6'1-6'3 so Im wondering if that will be too long.
depends how long your limbs are and if you're a legit barefoot 6'0", maybe go into a shop to try the suit on and look for a better price online somewhere. you're at the lower end of the sizes range so better to try before you buy

Reactions: Yewstreet

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
depends how long your limbs are and if you're a legit barefoot 6'0", maybe go into a shop to try the suit on and look for a better price online somewhere. you're at the lower end of the sizes range so better to try before you buy
Alright good to know. I am legit 6'0 barefoot, legs long but shorter arms. Being on the shorter side of the size guide had me worried. I'm in Norcal so I should be able to find one in shop I feel. Thanks!

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Alright good to know. I am legit 6'0 barefoot, legs long but shorter arms. Being on the shorter side of the size guide had me worried. I'm in Norcal so I should be able to find one in shop I feel. Thanks!
you'll probably be good in the MT, cant say for sure but there's a good chance it will fit decently. Xcel fits a bit shorter and the new channel flex is very similar to the O'neill techno blubber, I switch between the two brands and at 6'1" the xcel is a bit short while o'neill being just right in MT.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
The arms may be long on the O'Neill MT. I'm barefoot 6' as well, but have chimpanzee arms so it fit me fine. Vissla's height range is the same 6'1 - 6' 3 on MT's and the arms start receding a little after paddling. I didn't have the same issue with my past chest zips compared to my new no-zip. It's a pretty minor move (3/16"?) on the cuffs. I still really like the Vissla (4/3 High Seas). Rip Curl's MT arms are at least an inch and a half short of my wrist just standing in a changing room.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I'm 6'1" and have found I fit in L better than LT. With your weight at 160 I'd imagine looking at a MT instead. Try and find the other measurements like chest, waist, torso. Some brands offer those too.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Vissla's height range is the same 6'1 - 6' 3 on MT's and the arms start receding a little after paddling. I didn't have the same issue with my past chest zips compared to my new no-zip. It's a pretty minor move (3/16"?) on the cuffs. I still really like the Vissla (4/3 High Seas). Rip Curl's MT arms are at least an inch and a half short of my wrist just standing in a changing room.
Oh kk awesome, this is great as I used a MT Vissla 7seas for 6 months in NZ and it fit perfectly for me.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I'm 6'1" and have found I fit in L better than LT. With your weight at 160 I'd imagine looking at a MT instead. Try and find the other measurements like chest, waist, torso. Some brands offer those too.
Yeah the weight/waist/chest measurements all look good for me for the MT. I actually used to run a L Pyschotech back in the day but I was 175lbs and only surfing on weekends.

Jan 14, 2020
A wetsuit should fit like a second skin with no sagging in the back or excessive bunching in the arms or legs. It should fit tight in order to keep only a thin layer of water between your body and your suit.