Best bargain brand wetsuit?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Anyone know what's up with the lack of 3/2 no-zip Vissla suits in stock? Shops are bringing in their High Seas no-zip 4/3's, but all the 3/2's were taken off Vissla's site. I'm hearing 3/2's won't be in stock until late January which doesn't seem like a great sales decision unless there is a supply issue, which I'm starting to think, since Volte doesn't have any their zipperless 3/2's available either.

Any feedback on O'Neill's Hyperfreak 3/2 no-zip? I haven't worn an O'Neill in probably 18 years. I'm not a fan of their marketing/advertising aesthetic, but I hear they're still making good suits.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
the s
Anyone know what's up with the lack of 3/2 no-zip Vissla suits in stock? Shops are bringing in their High Seas no-zip 4/3's, but all the 3/2's were taken off Vissla's site. I'm hearing 3/2's won't be in stock until late January which doesn't seem like a great sales decision unless there is a supply issue, which I'm starting to think, since Volte doesn't have any their zipperless 3/2's available either.

Any feedback on O'Neill's Hyperfreak 3/2 no-zip? I haven't worn an O'Neill in probably 18 years. I'm not a fan of their marketing/advertising aesthetic, but I hear they're still making good suits.

the summer surfers are able to surf into the fall due to wfh so bought all the 3/2’s

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
the s

the summer surfers are able to surf into the fall due to wfh so bought all the 3/2’s
Vissla didn't get their Fall 2020 High-Seas no-zip 3/2's out and for some reason shops are only getting a handful of 4/3's the last week or so. I was curious if anyone works in the industry and knew what was up? I think it only pertains to the super stretchy 3/2 material Vissla (and I think Volte) are using for their no-zip suits.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
he likes cyber.

I'm sure they're great but I'd rather buy a new suit for a 3rd of the price and replace it after two seasons. It's also funny the assumption that everyone gets cold in cheaper suits. certainly not the case.

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr and CutnSnip

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
he likes cyber.

I'm sure they're great but I'd rather buy a new suit for a 3rd of the price and replace it after two seasons. It's also funny the assumption that everyone gets cold in cheaper suits. certainly not the case.
Same. I dont mind spending 200 bucks or so every two years. Ive had expensive suits before like the flash bomb or e bomb or whatever and it didnt last longer than 2 seasons. I usually stick to rip curl because of the fit

going to order a new RC DP 4/3 medium tall, because I dont feel like experimenting with need essentials at the moment.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Same. I dont mind spending 200 bucks or so every two years. Ive had expensive suits before like the flash bomb or e bomb or whatever and it didnt last longer than 2 seasons. I usually stick to rip curl because of the fit

going to order a new RC DP 4/3 medium tall, because I dont feel like experimenting with need essentials at the moment.
Since you're no longer 50lbs overweight your opinion may change.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Two major factors in the price of a suit =

- method of stitching
- quality of neoprene

Shitty stitch = more leaking
Shitty neoprene = wetsuit gets like a sponge faster

A good stitch will require no tape, only glue, and it will not leak.
Good neoprenes will repel water and keep you warmer.

Not my opinion. Science.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Don't you typically wear 4/3s in the winter?
sure do. I surf at dawn. you surf gentlemans hour and it's way different. when I surf later in the day I wear a 3/2 with no issues

oh and not sure of your age but I believe you're younger than me. everyone I know gets colder the older they get and the older guys I know laugh cause they say I told ya so.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
sure do. I surf at dawn. you surf gentlemans hour and it's way different. when I surf later in the day I wear a 3/2 with no issues
Hey, I occasionally find myself slipping into the water around 730 (if need be.)

But if you're wearing a 4/3 in SD there's no way you're gonna be cold, ever, bargain or not.

I hate wearing a 4/3 if I don't need to wear one. I think I have worn one 3 times in SD.