Best bargain brand wetsuit?

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
I live in NJ and surf all winter. I will surf every swell during the work week, and will paddle out in the crap if it's a weekend and I don't have any commitments. I have a wet-suit quiver of both Xcel and Hyperflex, so here's my experience. The hooded Xcel Dryloc is certainly warmer and more water tight than most brands, but it can be restrictive/cumbersome in my opinion.... I would definitely score one if you find one your size on sale . I have an Xcel Infinity 5/4 that feels pretty good in the comfort and weight department, but I can only last until late December or early January until I start getting cold. I will get a full season out of it before I send it back for warranty to get repaired. A lot of the Xcel suits I bought, even the Dryloc, start falling apart, thread pulls, etc, within the first season. I switch to a 6/5/4 Hyperflex Voodoo for the coldest months. It feels just about the same as the Xcel Dryloc to me, but probably not as water tight or warm, however I can pull a 3 or 4 hour session in it before I can't feel my extremities, if the waves are pumping. When it is 4 MIL time, I have the hooded Hyperflex Vyrl which is one of the most comfortable wet-suits I have ever owned. It's cheap, does a great job, very flex-able and lite. My 3 Mils are Xcel's, one is a comp and the other is a Dryloc, both good suits, but I will probably switch to Hyperflex when the time comes. The Xcel suits have a better pull string system for hood and shoulder adjustments than the Hyperflex.Xcel's warranty/repair process is intuitive and seamless. Hyperflex is slightly more involved, but I always get a brand new suit, regardless of the damage, every single time, and for me, living in NJ, shipping is dirt cheap and turnaround is quick. The Vyrl suits start to tear after one season for me, the Voodoo hangs in there a little better. Boots and gloves, regardless of brand, only last a season for me before they start to fall apart and need some attention to squeeze another season out of them, but the Hyperflex stuff seams on par with Xcel, which used to be the best IMO. Regardless, I will only get 2 seasons out of my gear since the warranty will cover it the first year, then i'll hand it over to a friend in need, and get new stuff for another 2 years.

Last edited:

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I have got the4/3 Xcel Comps the past few years. Super light, flexible and the one I just got was $180!

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Anyone ever have the internal glued seems break, then start pinching your sensitive parts? That sucks

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I recently got the latest Buell hooded 5/4. I think it was 20% off so like $260 which isn't too bad for a thicker wetsuit. So far I'm digging it. Much better than the Buell I got like 8 years ago which flushed through the chest zip terribly. Rubber is nice and stretchy and the LT fits me well. Plenty of room in the shoulders. Hood big enough for my fat head. I don't think it will be the warmest suit ever. The water has been low to mid 50's which is warm for around here so we'll see what happens once it cools back down.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I've had the seam seals crack and expose a sort of sticky mess that ripped the hair off my ass in the crappy Matuse I once had. That suit was one of the worst purchases ever.

Anyone ever have the internal glued seems break, then start pinching your sensitive parts? That sucks

Reactions: jkb and Aruka

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I recently got the latest Buell hooded 5/4. I think it was 20% off so like $260 which isn't too bad for a thicker wetsuit. So far I'm digging it. Much better than the Buell I got like 8 years ago which flushed through the chest zip terribly. Rubber is nice and stretchy and the LT fits me well. Plenty of room in the shoulders. Hood big enough for my fat head. I don't think it will be the warmest suit ever. The water has been low to mid 50's which is warm for around here so we'll see what happens once it cools back down.
Is their size chart pretty accurate? I've been eyeballing this one because it's cheap AF:
Looks stretchy. No tape and those stripes...but pretty cost effective.

Reactions: Aruka

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I've had the seam seals crack and expose a sort of sticky mess that ripped the hair off my ass in the crappy Matuse I once had. That suit was one of the worst purchases ever.
I had several of Matuses, the worst was the Scipio 3mm that had this sticky grey/grooved lining in the arms and lower legs. If I was the least bit frothy it was the ultimate opponent. The more I wrestled with it trying to get it on, the more I'd perspire and hence; the harder it was to get on. I would have to stop and take deep cleansing breaths between pulls to try to cool myself down. Of course this would usually happen after getting home from work and seeing that the wind had just died during a head high windswell where it looked like a watery skatepark out front.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Is their size chart pretty accurate? I've been eyeballing this one because it's cheap AF:
Looks stretchy. No tape and those stripes...but pretty cost effective.
I saw a kid wearing one of those last Friday in Ventura. He ripped, actually half the crowd of 12-15 ripped (Dane and Eithan were two I recognized), but with those stripes I think you need to be under 15 years old and/or a crazy good air guy. The kid wearing the Buell had their sticker on his board which was not a surprise.

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka and sushipop

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

yup.

starts there. gets to the inner thighs. It smarts

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I saw a kid wearing one of those last Friday in Ventura. He ripped, actually half the crowd of 12-15 ripped (Dane and Eithan were two I recognized), but with those stripes I think you need to be under 15 years old and/or a crazy good air guy. The kid wearing the Buell had their sticker on his board which was not a surprise.
Yeah, I’m rethinking the stripes since they are horizontal and will make my ass look big.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Yeah that Matuse not only did the above but it also cost a small fortune and wasn't remotely warm if there was a breath of wind. But it was flexible, since the 4/3 was like a thin 3/2.

Reactions: jkb

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I can only speak to the LT size but compared to Rip Curl, Xcel and B-Bong the Buell fits just a little snugger through midsection and legs but still has plenty room for the shoulders. I'm pretty slim but have kinda wide shoulders so most suits that fit in the shoulders are too loose in the belly. This one feels like it's built for a surfer, not a full time beer drinker that occasionally surfs.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
how tight are the wrist and ankle cuffs on buell's and needs?

Xcel size xl fits fairly good overall but the wrist and ankles let water in. too loose

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
how tight are the wrist and ankle cuffs on buell's and needs?

Xcel size xl fits fairly good overall but the wrist and ankles let water in. too loose
I haven't had any issues in that regard with the Buell. Still pretty stoked on this suit. It's stretched out a little more so maybe isn't as snug fitting through the torso as I would prefer but haven't had any durability or leaking issues. Put in some 3 hr sessions in 46F water with good booties and gloves. No problem as long as there is some consistency. Did get cold during a pre dawn session with 15-20 min. lulls where my Rip Curl Flashbomb would have probably kept me toasty. The Rip Curl is not nearly as flexible or well fitting though so I only find myself reaching for it when absolutely needed.

Reactions: JDJ

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
thank you sir

sorry one other question. how fast does it dry?
maybe a little faster than an xcel but slower than an oniell.

i let it sit damp in a tote for a day and it started stinking a bit so I had to shampoo it. my fault.

anywhere near you sell them so you can try one on? I don't want to steer you wrong since my take is based on the 5/4 and in LT size not XL...