Beginning of the end...

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
The kite surfing argument is a good one. When I gave kiting a year, the other kite surfer's were all really nice and would talk to you and give tips. They would also clearly point out where to and where not to kite so that there were no more "bans" on it. Malibu for instance has very specific areas you can and can not kite.

I think foiling will have to be similar. And for the most part I'd say it is. Anyway, enough about the video.

I've been surfing 30 years. I learned far away from people starting last summer. Now there are times when I ride where other's are, but different waves than they would look at. I personally don't like foiling around people for the fact that it get's in my head and I don't want to have to constantly monitor where people are since I give them a wide berth. But, if I'm at a beach break by myself with tons of peaks and someone paddles to where I am, I don't just paddle in.

EDIT: I also got hit by a heavy single fin longboard on my way in last time I surfed Malibu. Know what I did? I put my foil on the sand, then went and grabbed the guys board and drug it up so it didn't bounce around the rocks. Had to go watch the rewind cam to see where he was as I saw no swimmers. He fell basically on take off and the board made it all the way to the sand before it hit me. He walked by me when I was changing. *shrugs*

Dec 5, 2018
Couples weeks ago I was surfing (regular surf) and got hit by a big log because the guy didn't wear a leash...

I just want to say that it is a common sense to do the right way (foiling with too many people around you is impossible anyway unless you really don't care about consequences), minimum rules should be applied, but too much rules shouldn't be necessary.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Hdip said:
The kite surfing argument is a good one. When I gave kiting a year, the other kite surfer's were all really nice and would talk to you and give tips. They would also clearly point out where to and where not to kite so that there were no more "bans" on it. Malibu for instance has very specific areas you can and can not kite.
If there are Kiters then there will be slim to no people surfing. Unless its a Foil as it doesn't take much wind but they dont ride waves much.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Slim to no people surfing? You apparently don't know my desperation to get in the water. Plus onshore is the new offshore don't you know. :)

The same argument applies to foils. Which is why I said the kite argument is a good one. Do it in the right conditions at appropriate spots and self regulate.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Hdip said:
Slim to no people surfing? You apparently don't know my desperation to get in the water. Plus onshore is the new offshore don't you know. :)

The same argument applies to foils. Which is why I said the kite argument is a good one. Do it in the right conditions at appropriate spots and self regulate.
We both have our "dont you knows" then. Where I surf and Kite is that winds up time to kite and that's even side off offshores. Makes for amazing Kitesurfing.

And I knew someone would say same argument and not the same where I come from. Its about doing the right thing and sadly not a lot of that any more. But in the middle of nowhere Baja there is :)

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
grg said:
But in the middle of nowhere Baja there is :)
Buddy of mine was at scorpion last year and a guy got clotheslined by a kiter's lines. Had welts across his neck. Not sure what came of that, buddy said there was talk of "banning" kite's on the southern most sections I guess. Sucks when people don't look out for other's in the water.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Hdip said:
grg said:
But in the middle of nowhere Baja there is :)
Buddy of mine was at scorpion last year and a guy got clotheslined by a kiter's lines. Had welts across his neck. Not sure what came of that, buddy said there was talk of "banning" kite's on the southern most sections I guess. Sucks when people don't look out for other's in the water.
Most guys that kite in SJ do it in the Bay and way away from everyone. They are trying to keep it hush hush

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Just yesterday decided to pass on another good Ka'a day and went over to Kanaha (next reef over by about a mile). Nobody really foils Kanaha but most longboard/funboard/SUP the wave. It's not as far a paddle as Ka'a, and my armpit rash from paddling Ka'a the day before needed some relief.

I know a few of the regulars there as I used to surf and SUP that spot alot years ago, but there are new faces out there that I dont know.

Anywhoo, I pick off a little head hi insider, kick out, and pump back out to where I took off. On my pump back out, pass a white guy on a log and hear him say "oh geesus". Now I don't know if he was saying that cause he was happy or upset to see the foil.

I post up down the reef abit, and inside of the pack sitting outside waiting for the 4-5 footers. But I'm within ears of the longboard guy talking to one of the local guys I know. Didn't get the whole conversation, but heard the typical "oh you hear about that guy that feel and his foil sliced open his head" story. So I knew the LB guy was sketched about a foil in the water. He was a novice at best (if that matters).

I pay no mind and get into a nice groove, picking off the scraps that the other surfers can't make section etc.. off in my own little zone and it turned into one of the better foil sessions I've had.

Not sure how this really fits in this conversation. But I think your actions in the water will set the tone at your local spot. Act like a jerk, you're going to give all on foil a bad name which is a harder fix. Be mindful that people initially are scared, but the more they see someone riding and having fun, that will turn into curiosity.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
#blameitonthewhiteguy... shakes head.

Anyway, use common fuckn sense, not like the tool in the clip. Enough people won’t though and will ruin it for everyone.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
rts265 said:
A white guy, huh?
maybe better i say noob surfer?

but to entertain your comment, 99.99999% of those I see in the water that have been in the ocean for more than a minute don't act like that.

so yea, white dudes on Maui are at the top of the list for being donkeys.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
How about transplant? I can sympathize with that. still, don’t foil surf spots and all will be good!

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
ill put away my foil...ill put away my SUP....cause "its too dangerous!!!"(Whine whine whine)....but there better not be any bitching when i run you the Fu(# over with my COSTCO!.....hahaaaaa..

i cant find that video game photoshop from OB...from acouple years ago...

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Wow, lame! I am guessing the defense would be: without the doggie tandem dropping in, he would have blasted that section with lots of room to spare in front of the inside flotsam. And that's probably true, but it doesn't excuse it. Us foilers are bringing the danger, so we have the safety-first obligation. That means taking precautions to avoid potential hazard and taking responsibility even if it's not your fault. If in doubt, kick out early -- if you're getting a bazillion more waves than everyone, you can afford to let one go. But realistically....no way he should have been foiling there in that crowd anyway.

This is what gets s**t banned ... common sense isn't as common as it should be, so the lifeguard state has to step in. I've found the kiting community is really sensitive to this, as there's always talk of bans in surf spots. When idiots push it into the danger zone, other kiters are usually pretty quick to shut them down ...it's an expectation in the community to not let s**t go. Same for foilers I think ... self-policing to avoid actual policing.
I do not partake in FOILing or SUPing - but this reply hits the the nail on the head. Everyone has a right to enjoy the ocean, waves, etc on whatever craft they so choose but with that comes responsibility and common sense. Number one - if you are relying on someone else to rescue you if you get into trouble - you have no business being in that lineup. Number two - if you being in the lineup puts others unnecessarily at risk even if not your fault because of overcrowded conditions - you should not be in that lineup ... no matter what your name is or how f'ing big your ego is. Self indulgence seems to be a sign of the times but it would be refreshing to see people consider the circumstances and people around them from time to time.