Beginning of the end...

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
In the comments, Flea and Adam Replogle think it's Jeff Clark. His ego got the better of him on that exchange.

But what if the dog cut him off?!

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Wow, lame! I am guessing the defense would be: without the doggie tandem dropping in, he would have blasted that section with lots of room to spare in front of the inside flotsam. And that's probably true, but it doesn't excuse it. Us foilers are bringing the danger, so we have the safety-first obligation. That means taking precautions to avoid potential hazard and taking responsibility even if it's not your fault. If in doubt, kick out early -- if you're getting a bazillion more waves than everyone, you can afford to let one go. But realistically....no way he should have been foiling there in that crowd anyway.

This is what gets s**t banned ... common sense isn't as common as it should be, so the lifeguard state has to step in. I've found the kiting community is really sensitive to this, as there's always talk of bans in surf spots. When idiots push it into the danger zone, other kiters are usually pretty quick to shut them down ...it's an expectation in the community to not let s**t go. Same for foilers I think ... self-policing to avoid actual policing.

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
Can't say you "Foilers" were not warned.

Typical though, heard a lot of..." oh, I would never take my foil-baby-carriage into a regular surf spot. "

and... " I am going to stay far, far away from anyone with my fantastic-foil-flying machine and be all by myself
out in the middle of the glassy sea...with just my foil friends and our whisper quiet.....JETSKIs!!!!! "

...I am goingoutside now....what we can hope for is....large waves and rogue sets....we hope...

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Hope foils and SUPs get banned. Report any incidents to lifeguards.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Jef Clark ruined Mavericks because he couldn’t keep his mouth shut (and for money), then he ruined the Mavs contest because he couldn’t keep his mouth shut (and for money) and now he’s going to ruin foiling (as if it needed any help with that) for money.

The dude is a cocck. He’s like an ugly, meth sniffing Laird Hamilton without any of Laird’s talent.

Dec 5, 2018
Yes lets ban foil, sup, bodyboard,log, even fish (too much fun on those), actually anything bigger than 6'0 x 18...

One again it has nothing to do with what you are riding it is all about how you use it.

Jeff Clark I don't know him,I just met him couple times at Sano, he seems very nice to me. I will not judge him except for this wave, I guess he was over confident and not focused and this a big mistake that culd have been dramatic. I'm pretty sure he got super scared and feel sorry about it (at least I hope so).

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
gregfoil said:
Yes lets ban foil, sup, bodyboard,log, even fish (too much fun on those), actually anything bigger than 6'0 x 18...

One again it has nothing to do with what you are riding it is all about how you use it.

Jeff Clark I don't know him,I just met him couple times at Sano, he seems very nice to me. I will not judge him except for this wave, I guess he was over confident and not focused and this a big mistake that culd have been dramatic. I'm pretty sure he got super scared and feel sorry about it (at least I hope so).

CHecked his IG, yep thats a board that looks just like his.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
gregfoil said:
Fkn kooks :foreheadslap:

You still going to be foiling Malibu when south swells start up?

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
if you guys truly want to stay away and ride stuff real surfers and swimmers can't get into then you'd have no problem with a ban

So, to clarify - ban them where there are surfers or swimmers

classify SUPs as vessels.

guys get on a SUP and think they are a surfer after a few months and really can ruin a surf spot.

curious how long you've been foiling, did you surf before that? how long?