Beautiful Central California

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
If your friend thinks it's crowded now, imagine how crowded it will be next week after millions of people see that epic picture of spooner's cove I posted. Get ready for flocks of LA people, and a cal poly dorm extension in the elfin forest.
Ain't no SoCal weekend warriors want anything to do with Spooners when it's WNW 16@18. Most Los Osos people don't either.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I lived in the area and worked in ****** and would mostly surf the the main beach after work. Beautiful vistas/visions but close out central. I remember that beach having a fair amount of power; got pinned to the sand a few times. This is back when it didn't occur to me that I might break my neck. I regret never sampling the goods up at ********; it was a bit above my pay-grade at the time.

A few good spots in the area though, from the town of Pacific Grove on down.

Big Sur was a total crap-shoot and only paid off once for me. Sharky as sh!t too.
[/QUOT
You’re a fcking kook for naming places.

As is anyone else that does so. Good, bad or otherwise places - leave fkn names and identifiable photos off the internet for fcks sake.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
You’re a fcking kook for naming places.

As is anyone else that does so. Good, bad or otherwise places - leave fkn names and identifiable photos off the internet for fcks sake.
It's 2021. Get used to it wherever you live.

P.S. County Line, Leo Carillo, Mondos, Swami, Ocean Bach SF

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Lemme guess - you’re the kinda guy/girl/whatever (it’s 2021 right) that likes to suck his own d!ck.
Oh, man, I wish.

All of the stuff you're upset about has been happening every swell, every spot on IG, FB etc., more with the younger kids and with a much larger audience than this place. But crusade on if you want and good luck.

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
I agree that naming spots on the internet is in poor taste.

I've been up and down the west coast a ton and have moved to new places and surfed certain reefs before even learning what they'e called, because I don't talk about surfing with many people (my friend group isn't surfers) and it gives you a sense of exploration without even traveling abroad.

that's not everyone's deal i get it, and also every spot is already on the internet, but exploring new coastline is one my favorite things I've gotten to do, and if I were constantly on instagram knowing exactly what spots work when I would have had less of that experience. taking a little hike to look at the same rockpile multiple times thinking it must work on some swell angle/period, but it never quite does, feels like a part of that experience just as getting it right is. be vague for your own sake, imo.

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
^^ all of that can still be achieved and you can either have fun as things change or be the grumpy old dude all the kids laugh at :monkey:

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
I don't think I'm grumpy; I'm as stoked on surfing as I've ever been. I mostly just don't like social media/the internet panopticon (maybe that makes me sound grumpy, idk)

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Oh, man, I wish.

All of the stuff you're upset about has been happening every swell, every spot on IG, FB etc., more with the younger kids and with a much larger audience than this place. But crusade on if you want and good luck.
Nota crusade- just one comment On on one post by an obvious kook.

and you’re right- it’s everywhere. I’m not really on social media and don’t pay much attention here. it’s a sad state of affairs. N I’m not some salty local that burrows down in his one spot/zone.

This stuff just ruins surfing for everyone.

Im fortunate to be able to surf w just a few people, or even solo on a semi regular basis - with decent to really good waves; and that’s not even threatened by any of this fortunately. & likely won’t.

I don’t know how people deal w the crowds in Southern CA, or in town in Santa Cruz. fuckin nuts. There’s a very easily accessible spot around here Ive only hit 2-3 times in last 6 or so months (n by far the most consistent spot within 30 miles)and get asked where I’ve been-n the answer is “as far way from this fckin adult learner over run spot as possible!” ; )

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
& I’ll add this… I’m from the East Coast (I’m 50) and “discovered“ numerous spots with at most one person out that wasn‘t someone that came with me. And it stayed that way for years-then I moved away-may still be that way They didnt have names & never gave them one. One of em was an exceptional River mouth set up that had the longest breaking waves I’d ever seen with amazing shape.

adventure, chance at something all-time, or getting skunked was historically part of the surfing program- it is a bummer that that has been replaced by the quest for social media attention. But, it is what it is.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
& I’ll add this… I’m from the East Coast (I’m 50) and “discovered“ numerous spots with at most one person out that wasn‘t someone that came with me. And it stayed that way for years-then I moved away-may still be that way They didnt have names & never gave them one. One of em was an exceptional River mouth set up that had the longest breaking waves I’d ever seen with amazing shape.

adventure, chance at something all-time, or getting skunked was historically part of the surfing program- it is a bummer that that has been replaced by the quest for social media attention. But, it is what it is.
This.

Putting in the time to search, doing the miles, and having patience...feels so good when you finally score.

The work does pay off.

Why ruin a good thing?

Even if it's in plain sight, a lot of people aren't dialed in.

There was a spot here a while back where the sand got really good, what I'm told once in a decade good...lots of people busy adulting or surfing more consistent standbys were unaware...but per one of the older locals a few morons got on Facebook/Insty and started hyping it...the crowd tripled.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Speak of the devil, just looked at Instagram and sure enough there's a B-grade pro announcing an old spot that has been dormant for some years and has now come back to life, accompanied by video evidence.

:socrazy:

Reactions: Havoc

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
16@18?

Got this solo in that area with those measurements. Couldn’t convince anyone to paddle out with me…

View attachment 117876
You could put directions to the parking on face book and still not get anyone but ShShSh to paddle out :roflmao:
There are three waves in there, at least, that I watch break empty all winter year after year. No even that many people at the canyon anymore ...

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You could put directions to the parking on face book and still not get anyone but ShShSh to paddle out :roflmao:
There are three waves in there, at least, that I watch break empty all winter year after year. No even that many people at the canyon anymore ...
I stopped surfing “that left” cove thing a few years ago because I got older and it doesn’t break proper unless it’s huge. Basically at the size I was willing go for it as I aged just wasn’t big enough and I wasn’t interested in big left mush burgers.

Started surfing the right on the north side but it’s kind of sketchy. The right in the photo is a bit south.

That spot with the racist name a little farther south almost killed me. It changed my life and was one of factors that got me to quit drinking.

Even though I live two hours away I feel like I have a connection to that area.

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
I stopped surfing “that left” cove thing a few years ago because I got older and it doesn’t break proper unless it’s huge. Basically at the size I was willing go for it as I aged just wasn’t big enough and I wasn’t interested in big left mush burgers.

Started surfing the right on the north side but it’s kind of sketchy. The right in the photo is a bit south.

That spot with the racist name a little farther south almost killed me. It changed my life and was one of factors that got me to quit drinking.

Even though I live two hours away I feel like I have a connection to that area.