Bay Area shapers?

Mar 25, 2009
I think your main issue right now is just turn-around time for a custom.

If it were me, I've always wanted a coffey eps but I'd also be tempted by a judah dune because, let's face it, they are very pretty (and it's a much shorter drive). Also, personally I put a bit more stock into coffey and stretch because they put their (short)boards onto the competition stage which means they get real-world high-perf R&D, but that's not necessarily something that everyone wants or cares about.

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I think your main issue right now is just turn-around time for a custom.

If it were me, I've always wanted a coffey eps but I'd also be tempted by a judah dune because, let's face it, they are very pretty (and it's a much shorter drive). Also, personally I put a bit more stock into coffey and stretch because they put their boards onto the competition stage which means they get real-world high-perf R&D, Have been shaping for 30-40 years but that's not necessarily something that everyone wants or cares about.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Yes that too :) Buuuut there's plenty of long-time shapers who mostly do non-shortboard shapes who I would not buy a shortboard from, even though they sell a few from time to time.

ETA: this thread isn't about shortboards, I'm just throwing a few cents around cos I hate keeping pennies :)
Kalu spent lots of time in Hawaii

He has learned many things others have not yet

Reactions: chilly1

BentoBox70

OTF status
Dec 9, 2016
South Bay CA
Ran into Verner the other day and he may be the busiest shaper around here, said he's been doing 8 boards a day for years and is about to hire more help which will allow him to meet his demand of 12 a day. I was a little surprised with the volume and he confirmed that like 90% are shipped out away from Santa Cruz
Real Water Sports seems to market a lot of his boards.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Nothing to do with Vernor

But

Real Really "Markets" Loudly ;-)
They could get louder if they had better riders. I've never been more uninspired to buy a board than after watching one of their ride reviews. Reviews with the actual shaper are helpful, but their ride reviews are pretty hard to watch. I'm sure they are doing just fine though.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
They could get louder if they had better riders. I've never been more uninspired to buy a board than after watching one of their ride reviews. Reviews with the actual shaper are helpful, but their ride reviews are pretty hard to watch. I'm sure they are doing just fine though.
Kind of sounds like you're shitting on my dawg Tripp.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Hey bro no naming spots :D Just saying having the likes of Asher & Kerzy demoing the goods have been known to sell a few extras. Or atleast a Yuri.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Hey bro no naming spots :D Just saying having the likes of Asher & Kerzy demoing the goods have been known to sell a few extras. Or atleast a Yuri.
Trip’s bro that reviewed the mini ghost was waayy better than a Yuri, and I actually found it useful… maybe even more than a N-Salsa3000 robot review.

Reactions: trifish

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Tim Gras is a classic dude and has been a fixture at OB for a long time. If you're looking to shop local he's your guy.

Reactions: cagey