Barron can’t be made a Baron.....but keeping kids is cages is totally fine.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Regarding the fingernail story Ifallalot linked....

Back around May 1990, a friend of mine called and asked me for something personal from so she could make some art for a show.

"It can be anything....I will need in in two months or sooner."

As life would have it, just before she called, I was about to trim my toenails and fingernails, and after the call, well, I knew what I would give her.

So from then on, and every two weeks thereafter for the next two months, clipped my nails and saved them.

When I gave them to her in a pill bottle, she dumped out the contents in her palm, looked at me with puzzlement and said, "Fingernails?"

"And toenails."

"Someone gave me a hair clipping, but other people have given me objects like family photo or jewelry...fingernails...and toenails." A mild exhalation followed.

"I am sure you can make something clever with this personal item. Just invite me to the show."

A month later, get an invite to the show.

My contribution were sewn into the cover of a book she had made.

I can't for the life of me remember the title of the book, nor what point my keratin was supposed to be making, if any.

I should call her up and ask.

"Hey, I just brought up your 1990 summer Masters exhibition at CCAC in a surfing forum and I was wondering, that book with my finger and toenails on the cover that you made....what was the title of that book?"
new a girl who collected pubic hair from guys she 'had' to make her art.
she was quite an odd girl, even by art school standards, so she had a hard time getting a good supply. she had to resort to asking her female friends to supplement her own collection.

Reactions: Ifallalot

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
why? you are doing just fine representing such acts.
You can try to spin it however you want, but in real life those detentions occurred because of the actions people were committing, not because of their personal attributes. Most people in the US who share those personal attributes are not subject to detention in such a facility.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
What would your opinion have been? I think you would have been OK with it.
If I was old enough to form an opinion in 1945? Hard to say. My parents were pretty liberal for their time, they told me they were against it when it happened so that’s the way I would have been raised. You’re from Texas, your gun loving parents and grandparents would have taught you they should still be locked up.

If you’re okay with illegal immigration you’re okay with organized crime.

Open all the borders worldwide for all I care. It wouldn’t have any negative effect on me. Overall it would be positive. Think the Cuban boat lift. You wouldn’t have to hire illegal domestic help to do your gardening, clean your house, etc. anymore. You wouldn’t be complicit in an illegal activity.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
new a girl who collected pubic hair from guys she 'had' to make her art.
she was quite an odd girl, even by art school standards, so she had a hard time getting a good supply. she had to resort to asking her female friends to supplement her own collection.
Cool story brah

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Link?

Yeah, nice try.

Should US immigration policy be manipulated by those who want to enter illegally?

Because that's what you're advocating.

There was a change in policy to prevent gaming of the system.

Stuff like large numbers of fake "families" crossing
And large numbers of children being "disappeared" and reborn once entering the United States.

Gaming the system is a way of life south of the border.

I'm not advocating anything. I said this is a problem without a good solution previously. My point is, this was a policy change, by the Trump Administration, done to be a dickhead about it (thanks to GDaddy for being clear on that front!) and that's why people got pissed off.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I was not aware we were talking about unattended kids. I thought we were talking about family separation policy?
We’re talking about kids. You’d be surprised how many enter the USA with other than their parents.

In any case, what should be done with minor children? Leave them locked up with adults?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Regardless, it was the parents who put their kids into that position, whether they fully understood the risks they were taking or not. Not that much different than making a mistake about their ability to safely cross the Rio Grande with the kid on their back.

Every single one of the parents making those decisions could have chosen differently.

BTW, when U.S. citizens get arrested for crimes and there's nobody else around to take the kids we always separate the family and assume control of the kid's well being. So "family separation" doesn't amount to a discriminatory practice when there's an offense involved.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
We’re talking about kids. You’d be surprised how many enter the USA with other than their parents.

In any case, what should be done with minor children? Leave them locked up with adults?
I dunno. US foster system? Announce policy of flying them back to the airport so the ones with an actual real reason to seek asylum get murdered quickly?

Problem without a good solution. But if I wanted to eliminate some bad solutions, I'd make Stephen Miller my immigration czar, give him the staff he needs, and then chuck everything he came up with into the shitbin.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Regardless, it was the parents who put their kids into that position, whether they fully understood the risks they were taking or not. Not that much different than making a mistake about their ability to safely cross the Rio Grande with the kid on their back.
I don't know if the migrants understand the risks of getting from Northern Mexico to the Southern US. Or the Guatemala/Mexico cross which is probably a few s'mores short of a picnic.

But I damn well guarantee they know the risk of staying where they are.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Okay if they're subject to being murdered upon return then I guess remaining in custody in the U.S. is a spectacularly superior deal for them, right? Heck, they don't even need to work - they can just kick back and enjoy the entitlement of our largess whilst we sort things out.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Okay if they're subject to being murdered upon return then I guess remaining in custody in the U.S. is a spectacularly superior deal for them, right? Heck, they don't even need to work - they can just kick back and enjoy our largess whilst we sort things out.
Good point; we should put up some "at least you didn't die in Iraq" motivational posters in the VA!

Reactions: GDaddy

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I don't know if the migrants understand the risks of getting from Northern Mexico to the Southern US. Or the Guatemala/Mexico cross which is probably a few s'mores short of a picnic.

But I damn well guarantee they know the risk of staying where they are.
I can’t think of a family here that doesn’t have at least one wetback relative. I’d be surprised if many kids above primary school age hadn’t been exposed to tales of the journey.