Bali in December

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
I am able to swing a trip to Bali in December with the kids out of school. I booked a place in Canggu where we will stay for 10 days. First timer, and want to surf at least every morning/day, then do family stuff in the afternoons

I think it’s the off season, but it works out since I have a bad knee and can only do the mild and mellow stuff. Any tips on surf + family/entertainment type itineraries for this area

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I think you're better off on the Nusa Dua side wave-wise.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
I figured that, my timing for my trips are always bad. I just hope rain backs off so water is not as dirty

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
if not a lot of rain you can get waves in canguu

be prepared for next level traffic getting in and out of canguu

May 10, 2018
I'm off to Bali on the weekend. Have done several trips in January. Heaps of waves in the off season. It's still crowded and winds can be an issue (on either side) but still fun as hell.

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Anyone ever score Balian? That was one of those waves near the top of my list that I had to surf after seeing it absolutely pumping in "The Sons of Fun". Ross and Shano tearing it to shreds with Mary's Danish. One of the best surf video segments ever!

• Love
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
so much rain in bali lately

sharks at balian - russian chick got munched there recently

last hurrah swells this week - back on a plane!

Reactions: Geopac
May 10, 2018
Just got back. Only got a few rain showers in the arvo/night over the 9 nights. Weather was good. Waves were fun. Beers were delicious.

Dec 8, 2010
Just got back. Only got a few rain showers in the arvo/night over the 9 nights. Weather was good. Waves were fun. Beers were delicious.
Glad you scored, where'd you surf? Heading there in 3weeks for a month. Never been, can't decide between Canggu or Bukit for first week/10days. Goofy foot, ride a shortboard etc. I imagine canggu beachbreaks will be able to spread out and get more waves than ulu's but less quality. Any info would be appreciated.

May 10, 2018
Glad you scored, where'd you surf? Heading there in 3weeks for a month. Never been, can't decide between Canggu or Bukit for first week/10days. Goofy foot, ride a shortboard etc. I imagine canggu beachbreaks will be able to spread out and get more waves than ulu's but less quality. Any info would be appreciated.
I was surfing Keramas and Ulus. Ulus was onshore in the arvos, glassy in the morning but I don't mind it onshore as it keeps the crowds down a bit. Got Keramas real good this trip. The key with Keramas is to not surf it when the locals are out. They get all the good ones. I don't bother with Canggu anymore, too busy and I can often get better waves than that at home. I also ride a shortboard and am goofy.

Reactions: greatr9

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Just got back from two week trip. Some funky winds and rain first week, but still reasonable conditions on W side of Bukit. Second week pretty much perfect SE trades, and good swell too.

Flying sucks at the moment, especially going through Sydney Airport. My boards are still awol.

• Sad
Reactions: MathDebater
May 10, 2018
Just got back from two week trip. Some funky winds and rain first week, but still reasonable conditions on W side of Bukit. Second week pretty much perfect SE trades, and good swell too.

Flying sucks at the moment, especially going through Sydney Airport. My boards are still awol.
Spewing. Both my flights were on time (to and from Sydney) and my boards showed up unharmed each time.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Anyone ever score Balian? That was one of those waves near the top of my list that I had to surf after seeing it absolutely pumping in "The Sons of Fun". Ross and Shano tearing it to shreds with Mary's Danish. One of the best surf video segments ever!
I had the best surf week of the entire year up there. Scored it when it was big and uncrowded. Caught so many waves it's absurd. Massive long rides, peeling down the line on a twin fin. Literally the highlight of my entire '22 year of surfing. Love that wave.

Reactions: tenover and Geopac

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Man, I would generally advise against Canggu. It's so bloody crowded. Also, smaller window for surfing. It can get awfully blown out from like 11 to 4, especially during this time of year. If you're in the Bukit you can surf Ulu if the wind is good for it. If the wind's being a lil beotch you can skip over to the east coast and catch some of the swell magnets there.

East coast has been pretty good lately since everyone is still mostly sticking to the west. I've been scoring heaps of uncrowded waves.

Reactions: greatr9
Nov 30, 2022
Charleston
But this whole month much rain in Bali.. especially this week completely raining week..;) I think you must visit again in the summer season.:LOL:

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
But this whole month much rain in Bali.. especially this week completely raining week..;) I think you must visit again in the summer season.:LOL:
This week has suckedddddd. One of the longest stretches of no swell I've ever seen here, plus as you said the rain every day. So bad :socrazy:

Nov 30, 2022
Charleston
This week has suckedddddd. One of the longest stretches of no swell I've ever seen here, plus as you said the rain every day. So bad :socrazy:
Ohh very sad!! yes, rain is the everyday time it will be in the morning, or afternoon or but most of the late evening..:drowning: