Balaram: most-talented-least-corny pro

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
He’s about as normal as someone like him can be, out in the lineup at home on a really good day.

of course he gets the biggest and best waves, but he’s 100 feet deeper and yes he will have made that section before you’re even done paddling.,..but he doesn’t abuse his prowess to much.

if you’re in position on a good one, and he knows you can surf (that’s universal, we all eventually burn guys we know are not making it….ever) he won’t even do the “paddle and side eye move” he just chills. Usually doesn’t even sit with too many guys, if any, though he knows and is friends with them all.

after 8 years he knows me by sight well enough to nod hello. I’ll take it.

He might not be the best surfer in the world but he is in rarefied air; among maybe a few dozen guys, maybe couple hundred tops,, that can surf that variety of waves, and surf them all so well on every level

Pipe contest? For sure…

Tour? Why would be he bother…I don’t know what his contracts are like, but, he is making plenty of bank doing it the free style way….training and touring would just be a waste of time and talent for a guy like him I think.

hope he has a good financial advisor though…he will make millions, but how many will he keep into late middle and old age.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I also think he may have some legit non surf related modeling work that doesn’t even reference his surfing NTTIAWWT

Like, big Brand type deals that likely pay a lot more than modeling surf products

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I also think he may have some legit non surf related modeling work that doesn’t even reference his surfing NTTIAWWT

Like, big Brand type deals that likely pay a lot more than modeling surf products
The ol’ clay pollioni program

• Haha
Reactions: MrSteve

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
I dont think he actually makes a ton of money, his financial scene appears to be pretty modest. He was trying to get into the fire dept. a few years back which is not what one does when one is raking it in. Maybe winning pipe gets him a lot more money from volcom?

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
I dont think he actually makes a ton of money, his financial scene appears to be pretty modest. He was trying to get into the fire dept. a few years back which is not what one does when one is raking it in. Maybe winning pipe gets him a lot more money from volcom?
Tell him to call me. I can hook him up with SoCal work.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Google says his net worth is 5 million. The fire department here is all Volunteer. He would not be joining for a paycheck (I think you get a slight property tax break though)

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
he was trying to join the fdny and did not make the cut accoring to my firefighter pals. If you are raking it in as a pro surfer that is not something one does, that is a move someone makes looking for stability and health insurance at the end of their career ie Chris Frohoff..

Reactions: Subway

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
he was trying to join the fdny and did not make the cut accoring to my firefighter pals. If you are raking it in as a pro surfer that is not something one does, that is a move someone makes looking for stability and health insurance at the end of their career ie Chris Frohoff..
Being a pro from the NorthEast is nearly impossible unless you've got really deep pockets going in.....or your parents do. :ROFLMAO:
Winning the Pipe Masters ought to improve his financial picture by a lot....."ought to"......but no guarantees given the state of pro surfing and the industry these days.