Baja work trip

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
When did Baja go soft? What ever happened to buying a lobster off of a local for 2 bucks and having that and a can of Spaghetti-Os for dinner cooked on your rusty-ass Coleman stove?
Campfire. You don’t know the right YouTube influencers.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Wait, plasticbertrand is fecal face? I know I've been out of the loop, but how did I miss that?

Either way, looks like a really great time :waving:

Reactions: plasticbertrand

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Posts like this should remain stoke filled. There should be no bashing here.

That's what this place is for.

It's ok to be envious right now if you are stuck at home.
When did Baja change?

We’re expecting surf in the TOH @ 18 seconds range from 212 tomorrow/Saturday so it should be pumping there Sunday.

Reactions: the janitor

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I'm going to have to find my balls in a hurry for Saturday and Sunday where I'm surfing.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Clearly you don't know how Baja is done.

Nowdays it's all about having a chef to make sushi hand rolls with caviar washed down with a French Rosé with Instagram posts as a nightcap.

Stroganoff for a new generation.
I'm going for fresh fish in Baja prep'd by you and yours is a far cry from picking the Stroganoff off a menu.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'm going for fresh fish in Baja prep'd by you and yours is a far cry from picking the Stroganoff off a menu.
Yes, yes...the roe of the elusive Baja sturgeon.

On the other hand the stroganoff beef was local and freshly slaughtered. Grazed/raised in Baja Sur. The stroganoff was prepared by a Mexican chef...then warmed in the microwave by a Mexican line cook...brought to the table by Mexican waitstaff.

So very Baja.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yes, yes...the roe of the elusive Baja sturgeon.

On the other hand the stroganoff beef was local and freshly slaughtered. Grazed/raised in Baja Sur. The stroganoff was prepared by a Mexican chef...then warmed in the microwave by a Mexican line cook...brought to the table by Mexican waitstaff.

So very Baja.
Stroganoff.....Ctporahob....yes that sounds very Nahuatl/Castillian. I'm sure it was freshly run over and grazed on the finest trash in TJ.

Here is some info on sturgeon in Baja. Says the white and the green sturgeon range to Baja. I would not be surprised if the caviar pictured came down in a can though. There are sturgeon in Florida, too.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Decades ago it was a ‘deal’ to go for a lobster meal in Rosarito after surf sessions. Residence’s allowed you to bring your own beer (as long as you left the bottles for the family to recycle). I believe smaller lobster dinners were $5-$6 USD while large lobsters could be as high as $8-$10. Around the 1980s, the residences were eventually torn down or, remodeled into restaurants and prices went up. The ‘attractiveness‘ of cheap but excellent lobster dinners no longer a ‘deal’ but the tortillas and beans were never matched in any Mexican restaurant I’ve eaten at North of the border!C6844F2E-7E90-492E-85E8-4DE5AD40C040.jpegegan to Last time I visited during a motorcycle trip South, the dinners were so-so, expensive (+$20 USD) and the lobsters were imported from Australia according to our server.

Last edited:

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Stroganoff.....Ctporahob....yes that sounds very Nahuatl/Castillian. I'm sure it was freshly run over and grazed on the finest trash in TJ.

Here is some info on sturgeon in Baja. Says the white and the green sturgeon range to Baja. I would not be surprised if the caviar pictured came down in a can though. There are sturgeon in Florida, too.

can - no

glass jar on ice or gtfo, beyond that at a wholesale level you typically have to ante up for a kilo. The caviar business works a lot like the peruvian marching powder business

And that poor malnourished sturgeon they caught in your study is a baby, this is what you're looking for in that world

SCAN0134.JPG