Baja work trip

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Yeah. Dummy move. It's a Tacoma engine with maybe 40hp more. But with the weight of a Tundra. :drowning:

Drinking just as much gas as the V8.
Tailgate was smart, V6 not so much LOL. Miss my Tundra so much I am shopping for another one. Damn Tacoma drinks too much gasolina

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I know youre not asking me but I weighed mine at a Grain Place last week up in the Gorge. 5300 lbs with camp gear
You’ve certainly been doing it since forever and on the regular so I imagine you’ve got whatever load you carry down to your comfortable minimum. Amazing how light gear is for camping all the way around. foffie’s backpack thread is a good example.

When I see pictures of the terrain like fecal posted the first thing that comes to mind is flat tires. Then rattle snakes. Big rattle snakes.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
It’s a nice set up. I’m thinking about changing to an aluminum shell with a built in pop up camper.
I love that ARE shell.

They only thing I'd do differently is to order a beefier roof rack and no box on the side, just a flap. It's a pain to access stuff in the back.
But the shelf I built on the other side was the best thing evar.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
When I see pictures of the terrain like fecal posted the first thing that comes to mind is flat tires. Then rattle snakes. Big rattle snakes.
Out of 100k miles on my truck, at least 50k were done in Baja and I've never had a flat tire.

Can't beat the BFGs.

Reactions: laidback

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Out of 100k miles on my truck, at least 50k were done in Baja and I've never had a flat tire.

Can't beat the BFGs.
I've had good luck with BFG's as well. Never had a full on flat although I had a slow leak on my trip home after my last baja trip. Tundras are great but with my setup I can pretty much watch my gas gauge drop as I'm driving. I wish they had a bigger gas tank.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I love that ARE shell.

They only thing I'd do differently is to order a beefier roof rack and no box on the side, just a flap. It's a pain to access stuff in the back.
But the shelf I built on the other side was the best thing evar.
You don’t find the storage space to be worth it? Everything in the back just gets thrown around and smaller stuff means more boxes.

I’m all for the BFG a/t’s. Thatll be the first purchase for my new truck.

I think this is what I’ll eventually swap to.

http://instagr.am/p/CAOfSvzASoy/

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
You’ve certainly been doing it since forever and on the regular so I imagine you’ve got whatever load you carry down to your comfortable minimum. Amazing how light gear is for camping all the way around. foffie’s backpack thread is a good example.

True. You def. learn whats needed vs. wanted. Although just got back from a Kite Trip to The Gorge and overpacked due to not knowing weather. Didnt need alot of it and will not to another trip without a Fridge/Freeze. I am OVER ice even in my fancy coolers.

Im going to f^ck myself saying this but never had a flat in Baja and have beat the crap out of my rigs. Work truck has Toyos and they are truly bulletproof.

Experienced bigger rattlers in Laguna
1593992322930.jpeg