Baja Surf Adventures.

Feb 14, 2019
Has anyone gone to this surf camp? Baja Bill is the guy and apparently he's opening this place again in March 2020. Just wanted any feedback on the place if anyone has been there. How was the surf? accommodations? etc.

Thanks,

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Has anyone gone to this surf camp? Baja Bill is the guy and apparently he's opening this place again in March 2020. Just wanted any feedback on the place if anyone has been there. How was the surf? accommodations? etc.

Thanks,
Are you nuts? Ill take you to SJ for that amount....

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I went to his Baja spot many years ago as a grom and it was awesome. Very basic accommodation in middle of nowhere but right out front a fun point.

he also set me up with my el Salvador trip. Bills a good guy, I’d recommend using him.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I went to his Baja spot many years ago as a grom and it was awesome. Very basic accommodation in middle of nowhere but right out front a fun point.

he also set me up with my el Salvador trip. Bills a good guy, I’d recommend using him.
You paid $2k to spend 4 days at a fun Baja Point? I am sure he's a great guy if that's the case.

Kevmo

Nep status
Jun 19, 2006
Next to the Rocks
Really would like to see the website when it's up, I've checked that spot many times in the past and seemed to always find better waves else where. When they shut down access to do a drive by, I don't ever check it anymore.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Really would like to see the website when it's up, I've checked that spot many times in the past and seemed to always find better waves else where. When they shut down access to do a drive by, I don't ever check it anymore.
Theres a website

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
i went in the early 90's just me and him
picked me up after a banking conference at the convention center and drove me down with three boards designed for the north shore. It was a long drive just as long going south as it was going to the ocean after we turned off the main road. drank beer for water and slept in my board bag. Some bandits came by at night in a souped up dune buggy but I didn't see what happened. Got skunked on 1/2' ankle snappers froze my ass off waiting for a wave. You catch a wave if there was one surf as far as you can then go in and walk back out to the point jump in and paddle like 10 yards to the take off spot. There was a big ship stuck on the reef out front, beautiful view of the lineup and bay. Good simple food by the campfire. The only two things that stuck in my mind other than how cold the water was, was that it was very dirty and dusty I think I spat dirt and dust for a bit after he drove me straight to the airport in SanDiego to catch my flight home. The other was how uncomfortable I felt not being able to speak or understand the language. The whole time I felt like I could be killed and all my belongings taken and no one would know. The only other time I felt this was riding in a truck with a bunch of white supreme-ist heading to their cabin in the back forest of washington state as the token "colored" person.
All I remember is that he was a good guy, it was cheap, you can't always count on scoring waves and there's not much to do in the hot dusty deserts of baja. But I would never do something like that again.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I don’t think it was anywhere near that cost at the time.

do you know bill?
His website reflects that price. I dont know him and sounds like he's got a niche for people that have flow and zero sense of adventure. For what he charges you can sooooooo many better zones and come home with cash.

I know lots of other pilots that fly Baja and a couple were the OG's of Baja Surf spot discoveries. So many crazy stories from those guys.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
His website reflects that price. I dont know him and sounds like he's got a niche for people that have flow and zero sense of adventure. For what he charges you can sooooooo many better zones and come home with cash.

I know lots of other pilots that fly Baja and a couple were the OG's of Baja Surf spot discoveries. So many crazy stories from those guys.
Are you talking about baja air adventures? That’s a totally different company.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
i went in the early 90's just me and him
picked me up after a banking conference at the convention center and drove me down with three boards designed for the north shore. It was a long drive just as long going south as it was going to the ocean after we turned off the main road. drank beer for water and slept in my board bag. Some bandits came by at night in a souped up dune buggy but I didn't see what happened. Got skunked on 1/2' ankle snappers froze my ass off waiting for a wave. You catch a wave if there was one surf as far as you can then go in and walk back out to the point jump in and paddle like 10 yards to the take off spot. There was a big ship stuck on the reef out front, beautiful view of the lineup and bay. Good simple food by the campfire. The only two things that stuck in my mind other than how cold the water was, was that it was very dirty and dusty I think I spat dirt and dust for a bit after he drove me straight to the airport in SanDiego to catch my flight home. The other was how uncomfortable I felt not being able to speak or understand the language. The whole time I felt like I could be killed and all my belongings taken and no one would know. The only other time I felt this was riding in a truck with a bunch of white supreme-ist heading to their cabin in the back forest of washington state as the token "colored" person.
All I remember is that he was a good guy, it was cheap, you can't always count on scoring waves and there's not much to do in the hot dusty deserts of baja. But I would never do something like that again.
Sounds about the same type of story I had!!

I had just bought my first car, a '63 comet wagon. Few days later 4 of us in 2 cars went down. Studied some Baja Surf book on the way. Stopped at La Fonda for a night, cold azz water small surf. Decided to go south and explore. Followed that stupid map in the book and ended up here. Showed up Late afternoon, foggy as all hell, could barely see the ship. Cold, crumbly, milky dirty water. Crashed out after some beers food and dark. Some crazy big ass truck w 50 lights on it(seemed the time) heading towards us in the middle of the night. We were all freaking out quietly, thought it was banditos coming to get us, lol. Woke up at dawn to find a few cars up the point a bit. Turned out it was a launch and land spot for fisherman. They had come early in the night to prep for the next days fishing. Anyways, surf totally sucked, cold water, big azz rusty ship on point, dirty water. Ended up exploring up the coast for a bit the next day and then just left. A lot more to this trip, but I'll end it there.
That was a long time ago, can't imagine a surf camp being there, but I guess every spot has its good days, just not when I was there.

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
I think that spot needs quite a bit of swell to turn on. Pretty foggy, very cold water, windy dirty and dusty. Plenty tweek & crime in the area too.

Feb 14, 2019
Thanks for the feedback, guess I'll be looking elsewhere for a surf trip. I'm just too sketched to go to Baja myself these days. Used to go all the time in the 80's with just friends and we would have no issues.....well not too many issues. But I hear horror stories these days and thought a surf camp would be a safe alternative.

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
Thanks for the feedback, guess I'll be looking elsewhere for a surf trip. I'm just too sketched to go to Baja myself these days. Used to go all the time in the 80's with just friends and we would have no issues.....well not too many issues. But I hear horror stories these days and thought a surf camp would be a safe alternative.
Don't stop north of El Rosario and it's better.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Looks like a week at Las Gaviotas is best for you.

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
Bill is great, his little house with rooms there is pretty cool too, last time we went couple of years ago it was under $400 including lodging, transportation down, and food. The right point right in front is awesome if its working, kind of like a mellow church/trestles kind of wave, that breaks all the way into the little bay. I plan to go again when he's up and running again.