Backyard Build

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
It's not. Where did you hear that? I've been making epoxy boards since Calrk closed and had no problems and I'm not a pro. It's really way easier than poly.I've eyeballed mix ratios (often, especially when doing amounts less that 15ml). No problems. If you want more time to work you can use a mix of slow and fast hardeners. If you want fast times there is Kwik Kick which is comparable to poly. If you are doing vacuum bagging you can use slow and have 30 minutes or more work time.There is even Extra Slow where you have an hour of work time. There is also a gel time when you can work the resin like Playdoh. The other day I did a lam and went to have lunch. Came back and a few air bubbles had formed on the rail. I could just squish them out. Also you can sand the fuk out of the lam and it doesn't gum your sandpaper.

It is stronger, better UV resistance, has a lighter specific weight. I think the bad rap it got early one was because people thought epoxy meant Surftech. And the pros used to poly didn't want to have to learn new techniques.

Only weakness I can think of- it's harder to get a gloss. You can but it's alot of work. Or you can use poly gloss on top of sanded epoxy.
I went through an epoxy over PU blanks phase about 15 years years ago. I'm a very meticulous person and had a lot of prior epoxy experience from working on boats and making fishing rods. I was well aware of all the pitfalls of epoxy long before I ever attempted it with a surfboard. I did about 8 PU/EP boards all with good results except the epoxy I was using back then (SS2000) had terrible UV resistance and the boards yellowed. Then I did my first full glass job with UV PE resin and never looked back. Epoxy resins have improved dramatically since then and I still do some epoxy repairs but dang UV PE is awesome stuff to work with for a back yarder like me who could be glassing a board in July in 100* heat or in 40* cold in November in the shed.

My advice to anyone looking to do epoxy is to avoid it unless you are a meticulous person with a clean and temperature controlled workspace.

Reactions: Waterlogged05

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I went through an epoxy over PU blanks phase about 15 years years ago. I'm a very meticulous person and had a lot of prior epoxy experience from working on boats and making fishing rods. I was well aware of all the pitfalls of epoxy long before I ever attempted it with a surfboard. I did about 8 PU/EP boards all with good results except the epoxy I was using back then (SS2000) had terrible UV resistance and the boards yellowed. Then I did my first full glass job with UV PE resin and never looked back. Epoxy resins have improved dramatically since then and I still do some epoxy repairs but dang UV PE is awesome stuff to work with for a back yarder like me who could be glassing a board in July in 100* heat or in 40* cold in November in the shed.

My advice to anyone looking to do epoxy is to avoid it unless you are a meticulous person with a clean and temperature controlled workspace.
Yeah I don’t get the “pitfalls? “. I use old buckets and what not. What problems did you have?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Yeah I don’t get the “pitfalls? “. I use old buckets and what not. What problems did you have?
Read Swaylocks or the various boardbuilding groups on facebook. There are a never ending supply of epoxy fail posts and threads you can read. Like I said, I avoided all of that. I may do boards with epoxy again but I like Poly and UV-PE a lot so don't see much reason to go back to epoxy unless I want to experiment with something light and springy in EPS.

This was the last of the PU/Epoxy boards I did. this was from 2011.

2514.5100_0.jpg

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
The only problem I've had is the occasional pin hole/fish eye in hot coat. Where I glass is somewhat temperature controlled (heater when its cold)

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
What exactly do you mean by sweat? You have droplets of water appearing on a finished board? If that's the case you have pinholes in the glass job that suck water in when the board goes from warm air to cold water.
I've got a 12 year old epoxy boar that still blushes.
i mean the slime layer that creeps out. I think it’s called amine blush after a quick google and Sopa’s post about blushing.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
i mean the slime layer that creeps out. I think it’s called amine blush after a quick google and Sopa’s post about blushing.
Some epoxies do that worse than others. Years ago I did a PU/Epoxy board and the blank was painted green before glassing. Glassed it indoors in mid January. Board came out great. I wanted to show it off to a friend that lives down the street. I walked the freshly polished finished board half a block in 20* damp cold weather to my friend's house. By the time I got to his house the board went from perfectly shiny gloss and vibrant colors to a dull haze and colors that looked like poo. Rushed it home, warmed it up and hit it with the polisher and it looked OK again. Lesson learned. After that I post cured them with heat and gave them a good two weeks before surfing the epoxies.

Jul 4, 2008
Nice to see a build thread.
Love the color work on that Mako - I mean, G-Dad. How'd you do that?

So is this where all the Sways diaspora are going to end up?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Nice to see a build thread.
Love the color work on that Mako - I mean, G-Dad. How'd you do that?

So is this where all the Sways diaspora are going to end up?
Cheers. Its just your basic tempera paint smeared on a blank by a guy with zero art skills. I was going to put the build on Sways but with the rumblings of the lights going out it didn't seem worth it. I joined over here years ago when Sways kind of started fading. Still keeping boards under the feet of my kids, myself and a couple friends and banging out ding repairs for some of the neighborhood kids. My youngest wrecked two boards in about 24 hours a couple weeks back chasing these mutants thus the need for this build.

Capture.JPG

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
hell yeah, I didn't know you shaped brah

The color looks good. How do you make those fins for box setting? Just saw them? Dumb question

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i was doin the nail head thing with fcs original plugs (with a screw head)
most importantly puttin the groove right up under the glass, so the plug+resin unit is bigger than the hole its trying to pull out of

theres a few guys who do it that ive known of, though i didnt get the idea from them

i figured its harder to pull out a screw than a nail....

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
i was doin the nail head thing with fcs original plugs (with a screw head)
most importantly puttin the groove right up under the glass, so the plug+resin unit is bigger than the hole its trying to pull out of

theres a few guys who do it that ive known of, though i didnt get the idea from them

i figured its harder to pull out a screw than a nail....
FCSII are generally installed pre-glass. When I do post lamination leash plugs I do the nail under the glass. With FCSII, anything you can do to widen the base and lock it into the foam the less likely it is to fail.

Reactions: MathDebater