Backpack recommendations

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Gear to be packed.

Swim fins (Duck Feet), Full Suit (XXL), Towel (Larger size), 24-32 oz water bottle. Sunscreen/wax, etc, in separate pocket.

All my standard hiking packs are just a tad to too small. The next size up all seem to have hip belts which aren't needed.

Any suggestions, Surf Industry or Hiking? Waterproof not really needed, but super bonus would be two large compartments - one for fins and towel, other for wetsuit.

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
My son's junior lifeguard backpack has an exterior strap for fins and separate dry bag for wetsuit. Quicksilver brand. I was going to swipe it from him at the end of summer but he likes it so much, he's going to use it for school. (Whenever that happens.....)

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I have an older model Dakine Section Wet/Dry Backpack 40 L and love it. Has the roll top waterproof / leak proof bag pocket that will hold 2 sets of snorkel gear fins / masks / snorkels. Bought it for Hawaii adventures and it has never let me down.

Looks like they downsized it since, but DaKine still offers quite a few surf backpacks with the rool top bag pocket for wet gear.

Knowing mine is 40L I wouldnt go much smaller than that if you want to carry any amount of gear for 2 people.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001

Hip-belt is removable. At least it was on mine. And I removed it. And I've used it with pretty much exactly the load-out you've specified plus mask and snorkel. Many times. Also rolled up a weeks worth of dress clothes and shoes and taken it on business trips. Countless times. Even headed out into the hills for a 4 day backpacking trip a couple of times with it. But that is definitely pushing its capabilities. Such bang for the buck I bought one for everyone in the family!

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Dive backpacks are nice. 1 breathable mesh sack for your wet stuff and a small one for your dry/other stuff. Mine is so big I stick a dry sack in the mesh bag and it's all good.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA

I have the last one and use it on boat trips. Pack a seatosummit roll bag on the inside so wet gear stays separate inside but all gear is protected from rain, splash, or rare swim.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I looked at a bunch and settled on this....

No complaints.