Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
not exactly back-paddling but equally offensive, imho

Reactions: Aruka

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I came to hate surfing at breaks in other countries where the locals were really possessive about the spot.

There was a desperation to their vibe.

I would have less crowds and vibes surfing in N SD county.

The white guy might have been being greedy.

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
Sweet rock drop!

Mexico can be sketchy if you run into the wrong crowd of locals. I think, in this case, they might have thought they were being shown up. I might not have done that if I were blue rashguard guy, especially at a spot that has a tight takeoff zone.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Jacob Szekely is your favorite surfer’s least favorite surfer.

The brash, loud-mouthed innovator has ignited keyboards for the better part of two years for everything from jail stints to finger flips, making him one of surfing’s most divisive characters.

A few days ago, the above clip hit our inbox. In essence, Zeke does an Acid Drop on a wave down in Mex—a wave that one of the local crew decided he wanted as well. Zeke tries to turn around him, the wave fizzles out, and the local in question throws (and nearly lands) and few haymakers to let Zeke know that sh!t ain’t gonna fly.

Regardless of intent, Zeke knows he fucked up. When we initially asked him about it he simply said “I was pretty much just being a show off and trying fingerflip acid drops into (Spot Redacted), and back paddling the line up. This local just put me in my place.”

Then we pressed him a little further. If you know what you’re doing is wrong, what’s causing you to do it?

What started as a conversation about an unremarkable Mexican swing-show turned into a psychoanalysis of Zeke’s Jackass-inspired antics.

Stab: Yo Zeke! We just got the above clip. First off, tell me a bit about that trip and where you were exactly?
Jacob Szekely: I was doing a road trip through Mainland Mex for a couple months meeting up with different friends of mine. It was pretty small everywhere. We checked one of the points at high tide and saw a couple of lefts off this rock. The tide was still too high so I started trying some finger flips off the other side of the rock, just messing around. I was with my roommate who’s a professional skateboarder (Alex Sorgente), and he told me I should just do an acid drop into the left and connect it through to the inside. I ended up landing one 2nd or 3rd try and that turned out to be the one where a local decided he wasn’t having any of it.

What was the vibe in the line-up leading up to that. Were those guys chirping you before that altercation or was it random?
It kind of came out of nowhere. There were a couple girls, longboarders, people on soft tops, there weren’t really any high performance shortboarders in the line up. It was a crowded day of mostly tourists and kooks and the waves weren’t that good so I thought I could get away with it.

At the end of the day, locals have the right of way in terms of waves. That local said he didn’t like other people on his waves and I get that. When locals are surfing their spot I think they’re entitled to any wave they want even if somebody’s already on it. I’m a strong believer in that. I fucked up, took the punches, stood my ground and that was about it.

Did you fight back at all when he started swinging on you?
No. I apologized, told him it was my bad, just tried to be accountable for my actions and told him I wouldn’t do it again. He told me to bail so I started going in and he actually met me on the inside and we squashed it, so I paddled back out and got to surf for longer.

Well I’m glad it worked out, everyone loves a happy ending.
(Laughs) Ya it worked out.

You’ve become synonymous with ‘tricks’ in the surf world. When you pull up to a spot are you looking for what you can do that would be most entertaining?
For sure. Like you said, my work is centered around creating content that’s outside of the box. Acid drops, wavepool clips, board transfers, whatever it is, I definitely pull up to spots and think to myself “What can I do that’s different?” Or, “What trick can I do that’s never been done before?” I saw those rocks and the boys were hyping me up to try something off of it.

Wherever I am in the world, I’m trying to create entertaining content, kind of like the Jackass model. I hang out with Jackass guys a lot and they’re great at making the most of their surroundings and getting into as much crazy, wild, and rambunctious sh!t as they can.

I see you’ve been hanging out with Steve-O quite a bit. How’d you wind up getting to know him?
I met him through a mutual friend Tommy Caudill back in 2015 when I was in rehab. Tommy was helping me get back on my feet and him and Steve-O are best friends. We’ve known each other for a while now.

And what were you in rehab for specifically?
I was in for Drug and Alcohol addiction. My drinking and drugging got me in a lot of trouble as you guys know, so I was working on that at that time.

continues...
Jacob 'Zeke' Szekely Gets Swung On By Mexican Local - Stab Mag

Last edited:

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
Does that guy have rich parents who are paying stab to try to launch some career as a Personality or Influencer or some sh!t? I've never heard of the guy besides stab writing about him multiple times and they are really chugging his dick in the article along with that vid — it'd be embarrassing if they weren't getting paid for that honestly

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
El Ogro called me racist for being deferential to the Mexicans when in Rome

I'm like...can't win for losing!

• Haha
Reactions: santacruzin

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
That spot at that time on that day is a hard pass at a glance. Packed + shitty. Feline Point? With that crowd, looks kind of near a city.

"Yeah, I'm an aggro dickhead torching whoever at home. Then I rocked up to an everyone-is-welcome spot in another country, and """""It came out of nowhere""""". I was just disregarding everyone else for my own social media content and who could have seen it coming that I was going to get bludgeoned about the dome?"

Wow there were no shortboarders out so every wave is his? That's the same mentality the log donkeys in Florida have. They bought a floating sidewalk that turns for sh!t but goons waves, so rape every ripple and then attempt stinkbug down the line, being sure to kick out before the end section, where something interesting might go down, because there's a chance they'll have to turn turtle punching back out.

Should have Joffrey'd his dome onto a stick. He hangs out with the Jackass crew. Sweet! Hit the sauce again and wrap a Porsche around a tree.

El Ogro called me racist for being deferential to the Mexicans when in Rome

I'm like...can't win for losing!
I do this too. It's amazing what not paddling past any locals at points, and surfing down the beach, or when the prime peaks are lightly attended/empty, will do in terms of not getting dropped in on.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
What a tool. He basically said he knew what he was doing was wrong but he thought he could get away with it. Not to mention they're travelling at least 4 deep judging from the voices of his friends on video. Also he says that there were no shortboarders out but the guy who punched him was a shortboarder...

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
That spot at that time on that day is a hard pass at a glance. Packed + shitty. Feline Point? With that crowd, looks kind of near a city.

"Yeah, I'm an aggro dickhead torching whoever at home. Then I rocked up to an everyone-is-welcome spot in another country, and """""It came out of nowhere""""". I was just disregarding everyone else for my own social media content and who could have seen it coming that I was going to get bludgeoned about the dome?"

Wow there were no shortboarders out so every wave is his? That's the same mentality the log donkeys in Florida have. They bought a floating sidewalk that turns for sh!t but goons waves, so rape every ripple and then attempt stinkbug down the line, being sure to kick out before the end section, where something interesting might go down, because there's a chance they'll have to turn turtle punching back out.

Should have Joffrey'd his dome onto a stick. He hangs out with the Jackass crew. Sweet! Hit the sauce again and wrap a Porsche around a tree.

I do this too. It's amazing what not paddling past any locals at points, and surfing down the beach, or when the prime peaks are lightly attended/empty, will do in terms of not getting dropped in on.
You come down I’ll have my daughter run interference for you.

Reactions: Joshua2415

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
You come down I’ll have my daughter run interference for you.
I'm not worthy!

I like Mexico because it seems like there's still a few extra servings after the locals are enjoying seconds with no stress needed. My place is in the tourist line, holding the number I took from the ticket counter. There's generally enough to go around and then some, and when you're leaving Florida in high summer, it doesn't take much to top-off the stock-o-meter.

Reactions: Joshua2415

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
-----
"this dude's phuk'n, beating the sh1t out of Zeke right now"
"yup, he's beating the phuk out of him".
"he's phuk'in him up"
-------

Yeah, okay. :roflmao:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I'm not worthy!

I like Mexico because it seems like there's still a few extra servings after the locals are enjoying seconds with no stress needed. My place is in the tourist line, holding the number I took from the ticket counter. There's generally enough to go around and then some, and when you're leaving Florida in high summer, it doesn't take much to top-off the stock-o-meter.
You’re probably not worthy but the offer stands.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
If I remember right the word I used was pendejo, not racist.

Thanks gws for the breakdown. More controversial than Joe Motion but not as stylish. 5/7.
no, you definitely said I was racist

and here I am thinking I'm just being polite to the locals....

now I'm stuck in a virtue spiral questioning my entire existence, man.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
no, you definitely said I was racist

and here I am thinking I'm just being polite to the locals....

now I'm stuck in a virtue spiral questioning my entire existence, man.
Besides my household you met the only other two locals here. That live here as their primary residence. Everyone else has a minimum half hour drive before they can check it. Or they’re renting in one of the houses for rent. Visitors in either case. Stop whining. I don’t remember who started the domingo frijole fuckfest but it wasn’t under my generation’s watch. Paddle ‘em up the point. It ain’t rocket surgery.