Aviso still relevant?

meegoreng

OTF status
Mar 12, 2010
Southbay
Trying to wrap my head around this as carbon has many advantages.

I always see a few Aviso's pop up on Craigslist when im on the hunt for a RNF, and they still hold a considerable price tag for a used board. I think the factory is still preducing boards?

Anyways, the hollow carbon fiber worked for some and others it didnt, but the ones I've seen are still holding up. Im heavy footed so is it worth the investment these days or something like Manny Caro and others using full carbon fiber wraps more worthwhile.

Do the new carbon wraps and pu boards have similar flex characteris tics to aviso?

donniedarko

Michael Peterson status
Jul 26, 2004
The Coast
No very different boards. Aviso had a trampoline like suspension effect. Fun boards, some shapes went better then others.

I think their relationship with Lost is less then positive. I bought the last available RNF in carbon from them.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I see them used on craigslist for months with high price tags.
If anybody wants a 5'8" RNF in maroon, there's one for $400 in Honolulu.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I saw a couple back in the day, but would've never bought one. If a DVS fish came up for the right price though I'd be all over it like smut on corn.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
They were a product of the era, 2003-2006

Post Clark foam and during the last surf industry boom when marketing department funds were through the roof. Remember the quiksilver young guns videos where the boat they paraded around the mentawaiis got bigger and bigger every year?

I have a 5'5 RNF that I still ride regularly. I had it refinished a few years ago and got to know the california rep, he said the company mostly made parts for airplanes/military so i'm sure they're still in business just not doing surfboards.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
They probably laugh about it now, "Remember when we used to make surfboards?? That was dumb. Lets finish these tiny airplane parts that will sell for $5K each."

meegoreng

OTF status
Mar 12, 2010
Southbay
I swear a bunch have popped up on CL since I posted.

Grendel - Is the refinishing a reasonable cost? Assume they would still have the capability if theyre building wings and such.

LBBoozer

OTF status
Mar 1, 2012
Long Beach, CA
I think they are fairly durable but not as durable as you would think. An older guy I surf (~55yo 140lbs, cruiser) with fairly regularity has buckled two of them on in the past just falling on the board. One was only a couple monthly old (canvas 5'12") and he landed on the board hip first and the board buckled and started taking on water lost instantly. The other I think he got used was a Cole trunk board and it leaked from the leash plug and had another crack that he didn't know how they occurred. I did a repair on the Cole for him but he ultimately sent them back to Aviso for repairs. Not sure how much it cost him, but they took almost 9 months since they told him they only do surfboard runs and repairs once a year. While I think they are pretty tough for everyday bumps and bruises, once they get to there breaking point the damage is pretty extreme.