Australia/New Zealand - Oct-Nov

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
how far down the east coast of oz are you planning to get?

its a bad time of year, but usually you can find somewhere, especially if you surf early before the wind.

Maz

Gerry Lopez status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
It used to be that Oct-Nov was just windy and small on the NZ east coast, but for the last 5 years October has been one of the best months. Pumping S swells.

Put your thinking hat on, go off the beaten track, clean up your mess, and you'll have a great time. NZ means wind and long drives on windy roads, but there are big payoffs.

Best of luck, bro.

waxfoot

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 21, 2018
Wannabee said:
OK, so the next thing I'm trying to figure out are phones. In my current plan I can add an intl. package which allows me to call to AU but I can't call back to the US unless I have access to wifi. Someone suggested possibly buying a burner here and then activating it there? I'm hoping to have access to google maps and ideally have a hotspot. Any suggestions that have worked well for you?

Thanks
You can have a local copy of a section of google maps... just download the sections (Google allows you to do large spaces) before hand if it's a concern.

No need for a burner phone at all, just swap sim over if you want data. Boost mobile does good data plans, which is an MVNO that runs on the biggest Australian network's hardware (in other words, good reception at a better cost)

JLW

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 7, 2004
As others have mentioned, New Zealand involves driving. I went in April. Seriously one of the best trips of my life. The waves were great.

Wannabee

Grom
Jun 12, 2019
First to answer an earlier question, we're driving down to Melbourne. I know it's typically not good this time of year, I"m hoping to find a few. We're going to be covering a lot of distance.

The thing I'm trying to figure out now is about getting travel insurance. We usually get it through American Express but for some reason, they don't cover AU and NZ. No clue about that.

So question, can you recommend a company to get travel insurance?

jkb

Phil Edwards status
Feb 22, 2005
Oceansuck
Travel Guard has always been good to me. I'm sure they're not the cheapest, but I've actually filed claims with them and it was hassle free.