Australia in July

Dec 10, 2011
Taking the family to Australia in July....will be there for 15 days. Fly in and out of Brisbane...hoping to catch a few waves and to take my kids snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef. Here is tentative itinerary:

6/26 - 6/28: Recover from flight in Brisbane and check out sites
6/28 - 7/1: Byron Bay (picking up a Morning of the Earth custom :) )
7/1-7/4: Noosa/Coolum
7/4: Fly to Cairns for Great Barrier Reef
7/4-7/9: Check out Cairns/Port Douglas and other outdoor places.
7/9: fly back to Brisbane
7/10: depart back to LAX

First time to this area so any advice/suggestions would be appreciated....kids are 17 and 14.

Thanks!

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
The only scope for surf is in your stint at byron and noosa/coolum. There's no waves around Cairns.

Byron is a sh!t show surf wise. Has good waves but very crowded with backpackers and tourists. Plenty of back beaches nearby with less crowds. Noosa and coolum same kinda deal.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Yeah there’s definitely sharks at tallows. I wouldn’t worry about it though; there’s heaps of guys that surf there all the time.

That time of year is not really the swell season for the Goldie and further north.The dominant swell train is south or SE and the coast north of that doesn’t seem to like that direction due to the Goldie points and the islands north of there like Straddie and Moreton. You might get an east swell that time of year but the consistency is lower. I live in Sydney but go up there for family reasons at that time of year. for the last few years it’s been like this on my trips:

Noosa - points flat.
Coolum- drive around and find a beachie. Look for south facing beaches for the most size. If the swell is south you will probably get waist to chest high waves
Byron area - small to flat at the pass. Look for beaches or points more open to the south. Could be between flat to double overhead - Cape Byron is the most easterly point of the mainland and gets swell from all directions.

Good luck!