Art Appreciation Thread

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've always felt proud to be a Southern Californian artist because as a young student I came upon the Los Angeles "Light and Space" artists. I worked for Malinda Wyatt Gallery in Venice Beach before it closed, for James Turrell in Arizona and for the Panza Collection (Italian collector who love minimalism and in particular a lot of LA artists). Quite a few of these artists were surfers. This is a pretty good recounting of the LA minimal art movement. See 21:45 for surfboard reference and how surfing was cause to dismiss the artists as unimportant.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
“In 1985, as part of a work called “Deep Six,” he sank six bronze female torsos at unrecorded locations in Santa Monica Bay. Partly inspired by underwater archeological finds and also making a comment on the commercialization of art (by destroying his product), Stecyk called the process “reverse historification.”

Reactions: surf-shot.com

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
My friend from college always impressed me... he's way too talented... definitely focus on comics. When we started studying graphic design, most of us did it because we loved drawing and animation... but he's on of the very few who were talented and focused enough to actually do that for a living.

Alexandre Shibao...

batman-shibao.jpeg

dd-shibao.jpeg

xmen-shibao.jpeg

Reactions: rowjimmytour

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Everyone's favourite Japanese crazy lady (not Yoko Ono, sorry) guaranteed to be a sell out exhibition in your city - Yayoi Kusama

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2021/contemporary-curated-asia-jay-chou-x-sothebys-day-sale/yayoi-kusama-cao-jian-mi-sheng-untitled-wu-ti?locale=en

View attachment 111224
you can probably buy a little 3-D one of those in your local museum’s gift shop too...

& unlike yokee, y.k. was extremely fuckable in her time if i’m not mistaken...

my fave j.c.l. was miho hatori for a few years!