Armstrong riders experiences

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
Looking at getting a 1250 armstrong to go with the 1550 I have. Maybe the 1050. thinking a smaller wing for bigger days. anyway I'm interested in hearing from those that run the 1250 and or 1050. thanks

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Looking at getting a 1250 armstrong to go with the 1550 I have. Maybe the 1050. thinking a smaller wing for bigger days. anyway I'm interested in hearing from those that run the 1250 and or 1050. thanks

1050 is a wing that will let you rip and do turns in the pocket. 1250 is a better 1550. That’s what I get from a guy that rides Armstrong.

Reactions: surfdad
Mar 20, 2019
1250 is way better than 1550. Never got to ride the 1050, but the guys I know that have both only ride the 1050.

Jan 22, 2005
I use the 1550 to surf waves from thigh high to overhead. I also use the 1850 and the 1250 to surf (but wing foil with them mostly). When it gets juicy I use the CF1200.

I was at Blue Planet Surf (Honolulu) last week - I was able to compare the 1050 and the 1200 in hand. The 1050 is thinner, but has a similar tip to tip span. The same way the 1250 is better than the 1550, the 1050 is probably better than the 1250 and the 1200. I'd get the 1050, but there is no way I can offload the 1200 now (too many on Craigslist for too little) - the funny thing is I don't feel like I've ever pushed up against the upper limit of the 1200. I've paddled in to 12' faced waves and not felt limited in the least by the 1200.

That said, I'm sure I'd love the 1050 for good waves.

Reactions: surfdad and Hdip

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
The only wing I have is a 1550 which has been great for everything from small to about chest to head high then i feel like it takes flight on me. I hear so much about how great high aspect wings are from several people but haven't tried one yet.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Hi aspect wings are cheat codes for pumping. I went back to a surf wing though because I preferred to surf and not try to get five for ones every time I takeoff. Getting a two-for-one and hitting the lip twice is more fun than trying to get five waves and going straight to me.

Mid aspect is the new marketing catchphrase. Armstrong doesn’t go by any of it because they don’t believe anyone has a high aspect wing to begin with.

The 1250 fits in that mid aspect range.

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
Hi aspect wings are cheat codes for pumping. I went back to a surf wing though because I preferred to surf and not try to get five for ones every time I takeoff. Getting a two-for-one and hitting the lip twice is more fun than trying to get five waves and going straight to me.

Mid aspect is the new marketing catchphrase. Armstrong doesn’t go by any of it because they don’t believe anyone has a high aspect wing to begin with.

The 1250 fits in that mid aspect range.
I want to connect waves but I don't think I surf my foil really. maybe because I haven't been at it very long. mostly riding waves and trying to stay up and trying to pump back out and connect a wave. I did it twice so far but it was pretty ugly both times hahaha

Reactions: Hdip

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I want to connect waves but I don't think I surf my foil really. maybe because I haven't been at it very long. mostly riding waves and trying to stay up and trying to pump back out and connect a wave. I did it twice so far but it was pretty ugly both times hahaha
If you want to stay with Armstrong the 1850 pumps better. If you wanna demo an Axis high aspect set up I can put you in touch with a guy in Huntington Beach.

Just keep reminding yourself. Pumping is an advanced skill. Sure you’re just going straight but there’s a lot involved. Practice pumping on the wave and then when you’re ready, just start blowing sessions by kicking out of the wave almost instantly and trying to pump back out.

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
If you want to stay with Armstrong the 1850 pumps better. If you wanna demo an Axis high aspect set up I can put you in touch with a guy in Huntington Beach.

Just keep reminding yourself. Pumping is an advanced skill. Sure you’re just going straight but there’s a lot involved. Practice pumping on the wave and then when you’re ready, just start blowing sessions by kicking out of the wave almost instantly and trying to pump back out.
My best pump back outs have been when I exited the wave early. Hard cause I get so into riding the wave as far as I can then it’s a long pump back out. I’m getting there. Slowly but surely. 1850 pumps better but I’m also looking for less lift for bigger days so looking at a smaller wing. Also want to try a higher aspect wing. 1250 could be the wing for me next. Expensive so I’m trying to figure out what fits what I want before pulling the trigger. Covid zapped my cash with no work for 6 months. Sure got a ton of foiling in though.

Surfdad, how much do you weigh? I am 170 no wetsuit but I am sure my wet 5/4 suit adds a few. I know I am repeating from another thread but I have the 1050 and 1550 wings. I thought I would use the 1550 for surf, and 1050 for kiting, but have found more luck surfing with the 1050 cuz I am still learning and too crappy to control the 1550 when I drop in, and keep getting bucked off. The 1050 goes great for kiting with hardly any power from the kite. I will try the 1550 again in the summer when the waves get smaller. I ask about weight just to check if its my lack of experience instead of the wing being too big.

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
Surfdad, how much do you weigh? I am 170 no wetsuit but I am sure my wet 5/4 suit adds a few. I know I am repeating from another thread but I have the 1050 and 1550 wings. I thought I would use the 1550 for surf, and 1050 for kiting, but have found more luck surfing with the 1050 cuz I am still learning and too crappy to control the 1550 when I drop in, and keep getting bucked off. The 1050 goes great for kiting with hardly any power from the kite. I will try the 1550 again in the summer when the waves get smaller. I ask about weight just to check if its my lack of experience instead of the wing being too big.
Im 170 also. I’m thinking smaller wing for bigger days and what the heck, I might as well try the 1250. 1550 is great for very small days

Jan 22, 2005
The 1250 looks like a baby brother to the 1850. The 1850 is a pump monster. And on some days where I mis-judge the wave size from the reports, and the surf is bigger than anticipated (and I have the 1850 bolted on), I just take the white water so I don't have to deal with the steeper drops - but I'll paddle for the green head high ones still (the white water comment is for over head). So the 1850 has a wide range.

On the other side, when I've over estimated wave height (stupid surf reports) - the 1250 still works brilliantly down to thigh/knee high. I haven't found the top end of the 1250 yet.

I started off with a Go Foil Iwa. I could never pump back out. Then I got an Armstrong 1600. Still couldn't pump out. I bought a used GL180, and then I got my first recycles/pump back outs. I eventually got the HS1850/232 and pumping out became pretty easy. I like to mix things up so I jump back to the Iwa every now and then, and now I can even pump that setup. I think the key to being able to pump back out is to get off the wave you are riding with as much speed as you can. Then use the cadence that the foil you have on works best with (I think the more surface area/longer chord a foil has the slower it's cadence) to pump back out efficiently. I cannot emphasize the speed factor enough - the faster you come off the first wave, the easier/farther you can pump back out.

When prone foiling I have the most fun on curvier foils made to surf more as opposed to the higher aspect flat foils - but they each have their merits and I've learned from both.

Reactions: radair and surfdad

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
I now have a 1250 in hand. stoked. First impressions on 3 sessions. take off is smooth. its fast and glides through water easily. pumps better than my 1550. second session pumped back out and connected a wave. its only my third time connecting a wave and i felt a marked improvement in my pumping. hook line and sinker I'm in!!!! haha waves had a bit more juice today and there was no issue. I'd get bucked from time to time on my 1550. overall happy with it's performance.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020
Thanks for the report. I bought the 1850 and 1250 a month ago but have only winged a handful of times on the 1850. I am loving the Armstrong quality and lightweight, low drag foils. I tried to wait until spring but was in a shop in FL and once I put my hands on them it was over. I am confident that Armstrong will keep up with Lift, etc on HA foil design too.

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
Thanks for the report. I bought the 1850 and 1250 a month ago but have only winged a handful of times on the 1850. I am loving the Armstrong quality and lightweight, low drag foils. I tried to wait until spring but was in a shop in FL and once I put my hands on them it was over. I am confident that Armstrong will keep up with Lift, etc on HA foil design too.

I think you got the best two wings Armstrong offers. I hear they are coming out with some wings. A 1550 version 2 and who knows what else.

Jan 22, 2005
Armstrong is releasing a HA 1125 and a new rear stabilizer in May. There are some ads on IG - if they are still up (I heard Armstrong told the poster to take them down - official announcement is supposed to release on 3/18). 41.5" wingspan!!!

Reactions: grendel95