Are you grabbing takeout or only eating at home?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
2 times since this started, which is probably a little more than we would typically do. Wings from the pizza place around the corner.
My wife cooks what we like, the way we like it, exactly when we want, and it’s every night. I’m spoiled and take it for granted, but now that i never leave the house, I’m trying to do the clean up more
So spoiled by that saint

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Doing takeout at least twice a week to support our favorite locally owned restaurants. Wife and I are very fortunate to still be working so we feel it's our civic duty.

The downside is I've put on 4 pounds in the last 2 months.
I feel the same

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I treat my team to take out lunch about twice a week
about $200-$300 a week for 10+ people twice a week. (used to be my new board stash cash)
sometimes my boss or one of the senior management committee picks up a meal.
sometimes we buy lunch for all the other people working on our floor
Its to thank them for coming in since inception and working insanely hard compared the rest of the 80% working from home "non-essential" employees.
you're only as good as the people who support you especially when they are risking covid exposure with each and everyday

We try and always pick a new restaurant to support, a customer preferably but sometimes there just aren't enough customers still open. Today it was Tanioka's bento's for 50.
Been thinking of maybe just setting up some weekly standing orders to rotate through which would be better for the restaurants so they could count on regular business but we'll see. Our cafe is still doing their thing so we need to support them as well.

We tried to do the same on weekends but it seems like allot of people where I live don't know how to cook so it's been packed trying to pick up your meal and you have to wait which usually never happens even when the restaurant is full. Most people sit in their cars or wait outside until people come out with their orders. I don't see the same consideration in Longs or other stores. Maybe cause its food. I haven't stepped into a safeway or foodland since the lockdown just seems crazy out there.

Thinking of subscribing to KauKau Box or one of these new high-end chef made food home delivery options that are popping up. But it seems a little expensive at $150 a meal. At home spam/vienna sausage or can tuna/salmon and rice with a salad or fruits is just fine. I could eat sashimi and rice or daikon everyday if allowed. Miss my ahi/limu poke, pipikaula and poi. Haven't had that since way before covid.
Maybe we need to hit Highway Inn for lunch soon love their pipikaula.
You sound like a pretty solid boss.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Our favorite sushi place had to stop taking orders Friday around 6 pm. Ran out of fish. Wuz supposed to be our 10th anniversary vacation lol. Burgers instead.

Reactions: hammies

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
2 times since this started, which is probably a little more than we would typically do. Wings from the pizza place around the corner.
My wife cooks what we like, the way we like it, exactly when we want, and it’s every night. I’m spoiled and take it for granted, but now that i never leave the house, I’m trying to do the clean up more
Seems a lot of people here are going out of their way to support local restaurants, I sincerely applaud you.

I guess I'm not a team player here. Wife and I never went out to eat pre-lockdown, so we haven't changed. Typical event would be couple of drinks for happy hour, then go home and cook dinner. We've sent our son to get tacos twice in the past (has it really been this long?) 8 weeks. And one of those was when my other son was visiting.

Today we have a giant pot of soup stock boiling away. We routinely buy 25 lb bags of rice and flour. It is truly sad though to drive around and see the attempts being made to stay viable.

Kitty's been supplying the meat that seems to be getting scarce. This was one of last weeks. She brought in two last night. Good Kittty!

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
a former employer doing good by its employees
I'm sure the neighbor island employees aren't happy
lots of good out there if you look

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
We’ve been supporting our favorite restaurants by grabbing takeout a couple times a week. All of our places seem to know us now even more than they did before. Are a lot of people only eating at home and are we outliers?

or is it just my smiling face?
We usually eat at home more, but these days since I'm still working we are trying to support local restaurants and help see them through this.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
I do all the cooking for my family just like I always have. We're leery of takeout food. I've perfected my Thai curries & pad thai lately. Next I may try Greek or Moroccan cooking.

Wifey sells flavors, so I had to go out and pick up 4 plain lattes at the local corner so we could try new flavors in them. That's the first time I've eaten anything prepared outside the home in 10 weeks.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Pizza . Bbq . Pho. Those have been my take outs during the pandemic

Have found if you add American bbq brisket to Pho it is A+

Reactions: Billy Ocean

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
We ate at home until May. I couldn't rally leave the house and the Mrs. didn't want to mess with it and she only went to the grocery store 3 times in 2 months. Supplemented with a couple delivery experiments. We're working but my money from side jobs has crashed leaving me anywhere from 200-1k shorter in income per month so we've been trying to be a bit more budget conscious. We cook at home most of the time anyway.

Since I'm able to move around now, we walked to pick up dinner and wine at one of our favorite Italian spots (ended up buying 2 bottles) last week and grabbed a pizza last night. The pizza joint was really proficient and felt at ease. The italian joint was stressful. Seems like owners/managers are working filling in the server positions and they often have way less experience interacting with customers in that way (facilitating orders, anticipating timing, etc..). He wasn't sure who was picking up what, who had not ordered, which bag was which.. But he told us he got rattled by some 3rd party delivery guy who was upset.

Anyway. We are trying to support our local spots, but having to make smart decisions. I smell a pay cut coming next year.

Slabsplease

OTF status
Mar 5, 2015
I never eat out, always cook my own, cheaper/better tasting/cooked by me and my effort, my cookware, eat with my utensils that only my mouth/family has eaten off of, chairs only my ass has sat in (versus the thousands upon thousands of repetitive mouths/etc at any restaurant regardless if it's "restaurant clean"). There is a saying in the restaurant business, "work at your favorite restaurant for a week and you'll never eat there again"...even before Covid19 restaurants are gnarly. Most employees making minimum wage (nothing wrong with that), which means after a short while/if that, employees could care less about your food/cleanliness/etc, and most will work while sick/cold/flu/etc as most are in a position where they have to.
Dining out is overrated, you eat food, your taste buds enjoy for just a moment, goes into your bowels, into the sewer, again and again and again, what you spend on one meal could feed you for a week. If anything, learn how to make your favorite dish from this/that restaurant.