Are you a penny pinching regularfoot on a time crunch looking for a surf trip destination?

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
That's where my current avatar was taken. On a really shitty day. At that point you needed a guy with an AK-47 by the car. You were told to get in the water and get out of the water in front of the guy with a gun. Supposedly a few weeks before some guy rode way down the point and decided he didn't want to paddle back. So he got out and walked. Guys came out of the graveyard with machetes and took his surfboard, his rash guard and his trunks. He made it back to the truck naked and happy to be alive.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I like adventure but that's too much adventure for me. Didn't you guys stay at a surf camp?

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
ElOgro said:
I like adventure but that's too much adventure for me. Didn't you guys stay at a surf camp?

Yup. But there was a little venturing out.

Last day was a good story. We are heading to the airport. The van has just astronomical numbers of surfboards in it and the photographer has equipment in there that is probably the equivalent of the GNP for the country. Someone decides they want to see Punta Roca one last time. I'm against this. I am of course the paranoid one. "Relax GWS." Whatever. I'm outvoted.

So everybody gets out of the van with all this sh!t in it and heads down to look at the surf. I decide to stick with the van to guard all the sh!t. As I'm sitting there alone, about 5 ten your old boys show up. They are walking around the van check it out. Suddenly I realize that I'm alone, sitting on all this sh!t. (I may be dumb, but I can be taught) The kids start whistling over to the graveyard.

I say screw this, jump out of the van, lock it and head over to where everyone is gawking at the waves. I mention we are being cased and I have decided I do not want to die to keep our sh!t. I'm paranoid. I then make the observation that there are older guys coming over the wall out of the graveyard. "They probably have someplace to go."

"They're coming this way."

"Relax"

"They have machetes. They don't look like they want to be friends."

"Whatever."

"They're moving towards us with purpose here..."

"Oh sh!t! What should we do?"

:rolleyes:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Wow GWS when were you down there? I was there a few months ago and it was mellow. Walked around a bit and had no issues. Left town but surfed around libertad a lot as well.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
grapedrink said:
, , ,, , And then :confused2: Don't leave us hanging meng :beer:
...they went to the airport bar and got faded.

The End

Nicaragua is heating up again just in time for the season.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
grapedrink said:
, , ,, , And then :confused2: Don't leave us hanging meng :beer:
Anti climactic.

I told everybody to NOT make eye contact, turn and walk, don't run, towards the van with purpose and get the thing started ASAP. I got there first and opened the passenger door and stopped, with the door open and made eye contact with them. They stopped. I believe they were considering whether I had a gun in the van. Everyone got in the van and we drove to the airport. And then went to the bar. At least I did.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
manbearpig said:
Wow GWS when were you down there? I was there a few months ago and it was mellow. Walked around a bit and had no issues. Left town but surfed around libertad a lot as well.
The article claims its gotten better. I want to say this was around five years ago or so? At one point one of the guys wanted to leave at night. The people running the place told us NO ONE drives at night. If you did, odds are you'd encounter men with AK 47s blocking the road who apparently had a habit of killing people before they took all their sh!t.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
I found La Libertad to be sketchy but not nearly as sketchy as what GWS is describing when I was there a year ago. Would stay somewhere outside of town and have a guide/guard handle transportation to/from Punta Roca if I were to do it again, but I stayed solo at AST in La Libertad and left with all my stuff (well, minus one pair of cheap flip flops) and my life still in my possession. I was there for 4 days, but it did seem like I got more and more unwanted attention the longer I hung around.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
BillyOcean said:
Ok was thinking about going there but f that

Morroco sounding better
I hated morrocco.

I've seen the world and I am not a hateful person.

I almost got into two fist fights and I haven't got in a fight in 30 years.

What about Senegal?

One of the posters here has a camp there.

That would be better.

Same distance from the east coast.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Went to las Flores early 2000’s when the resort was a shack and you sh!t in a hole outhouse. Saw machete fights in town. The whole town seemed to gather every night and play soccer. There was a blonde girl with us. They saw us go in a restaurant and a huge mob formed. Our guide pulled a gun and got us in the van and the fuck out of there.

I’ve gone back with my wife. Pay thousands more and stay on the resort. Safer now I guess but sketchy. Not taking my daughters there.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Oh it took us like 8 hours to get to el cuco back then. Now it’s like 2.

Has the road to pavones been developed?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
1. Its not as bad as it was a few years ago in La Libertad/Punta Roca. The first time I was there, 2014, it was a bit sketchy, but people were hanging out in the hut. Last year, totally cool, BBQ, kids, much better vibe. Still too crowded at that spot for my tastes.
2. Billy if you don't stay in La Libertad you will have little to worry about. From the stories I've heard about the haggle/hassle in Morocco, I'd rather not stay out late in El Tunco or La Libertad and enjoy a much shorter flight with warmer water. If you stay at K-59 the only thing that will likely get stolen is priority.
3. I used to wear flip flops to walk to the beach here in Jax Beach. I'd lose a pair per season. I typically have a pair per trip disappear in Mexico. In El Salvador, I have been told (and have acted on) using mismatched flops, and also find a rock/branch to stash them under. Most of the time I just run quickly, or I'll check it with flops on or early/late and stash a few palm fronds in good spots to stop/stand on leading up from the water's edge.
4. If the protests are flaring up in Nicaragua now is probably the time to go for less crowdage. Sport your War Stories with Oliver North Fox News t-shirt and drop the occasional I told you so if you want to get spicy lads. Maybe skip the car rental this trip and sit bulldog left instead of shotgun. On the flip side, most of Florida probably doesn't know anything about Nicaragua other than all day offshores, so maybe it will still be busy.

I'm a goofyfoot with no family/debt and I keep going back.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
rather think of myself as a thrifty surfer who prefers right hand point breaks with all the time on my hands i could ever dream of who would never travel for surf cause i have it right out my front door.

why dost thou axe?