Are we over Nazare?

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
That wave is too mushy to be taken seriously with real size.

It's not on the same playing field as jaws, waimea, mavericks.
I disagree.
There’s no channel, some of those waves stand up bigly bigly in very unpredictable fashion and they break right in front of a fricking headland. Look at the in-water footage. It’s terrifying. Ask Maya or RCJ or the dude who broke his back out there. Cortes Bank has a shifty peak too — that breaks over a shipwreck. Jaws has car sized boulders on the beach. Mavs has the mushroom rocks and undersea ledges. Every one of these spots is so dangerous in its own way.

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
Anyone say Nazare is joke, I laugh. So funny because it is more heavy than anyone imagine. The inside is especially like hell! Are you ready for winter?

Reactions: Ifallalot

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I disagree.
There’s no channel, some of those waves stand up bigly bigly in very unpredictable fashion and they break right in front of a fricking headland. Look at the in-water footage. It’s terrifying. Ask Maya or RCJ or the dude who broke his back out there. Cortes Bank has a shifty peak too — that breaks over a shipwreck. Jaws has car sized boulders on the beach. Mavs has the mushroom rocks and undersea ledges. Every one of these spots is so dangerous in its own way.
+1. Although I don't enjoy watching those TPs being tow surfed over and over, the paddle in contest gave a beach perspective. That place is nuts.

Reactions: mundus

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
There's 60-70 foot barrels on tap at Nazare. They just are so incredibly horrifying and technical that the guys who have been on those waves outrun and race for the shoulder.

Anyone who has surfed a deepwater wave knows that it all depends on how the swell hits the shelf.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
4 wave hold down at not that big really nazare, one minute twenty seconds+ underwater?

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
frigthening! I'm pretty sure I would have lost my breath and drown.

QUOTE="sozzle, post: 3041450, member: 23625"]
4 wave hold down at not that big really nazare, one minute twenty seconds+ underwater?

[/QUOTE]

Small Nazare from few days ago

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Jeez that ski found a needle in a haystack. I wonder why they don't all wear brighter colored suits/hoods and why they ride black boards at that spot. Seems it would improve the ski's ability to spot them in a situation like that.
The article says he even went unconscious so homeboy is double lucky.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
There's 60-70 foot barrels on tap at Nazare. They just are so incredibly horrifying and technical that the guys who have been on those waves outrun and race for the shoulder.

Anyone who has surfed a deepwater wave knows that it all depends on how the swell hits the shelf.
I've been out on the boat at Cortes and watched the footage from Nazare. The shiftiness of both spots makes 'em both so freaking dangerous. Cortes is like Sunset - where all the sudden a ginormous west peak can rear up and kill you if you're not sitting on the inner shoulder. That's why everyone was so freaked when Shawn Dollar caught his world record out there. The "Dollar" peak is in the background of this shot. You make a wave on that peak, you're going a half mile. If you don't, you're gonna get mowed down on the second peak, which is real shifty anyway.
Nazare can just kill you all up and down that lineup.

ByDixonCortesPhotoNov-10_DSC_4514.JPG

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
I've been out on the boat at Cortes and watched the footage from Nazare. The shiftiness of both spots makes 'em both so freaking dangerous. Cortes is like Sunset - where all the sudden a ginormous west peak can rear up and kill you if you're not sitting on the inner shoulder. That's why everyone was so freaked when Shawn Dollar caught his world record out there. The "Dollar" peak is in the background of this shot. You make a wave on that peak, you're going a half mile. If you don't, you're gonna get mowed down on the second peak, which is real shifty anyway.
Nazare can just kill you all up and down that lineup.

View attachment 82659

The cajones it must have took for Shawn to sit that far up the reef, with 60 foot waves, in the middle of the ocean... is unfathomable to me. I always wondered if that spot he broke his neck at was Fu@@e!s. The way he described his accident, reminded me of a couple close calls I had at dead man's. Still my favorite wave in CA behind C@s@s.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
This is f'kn amazing. It's raw footage, so you see all of the inside 25' shorebreak stuff. Hats off to the guys riding those "medium" waves farther in. Looks sooooooooo scary

Reactions: hammies

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I like watching the big wave stuff live any other way not really interested.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I think its exciting to watch, as long as you see the whole line-up for the wave, and the whole wave and the aftermath. Makes it more complex and interesting, imo.

Just one enormous drop, to quick cut? yeah, I'm bored by that too.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Even with the skis it looks like the probability of getting caught inside and taking one or more of those monsters to the head is close to 100%.

The wide view lineup video makes it look so much more gnarly. Just being out in that ocean, even on a ski, takes massive balls.