Are wave pools here to stay or are we going to look back in 10 years and laugh at wave pools?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
If they can make money they’re here to stay.

I’m sure, as with all new tech, it’ll get cheaper to build and maintain over time. The Only question is...

...if they build it will they come (and how much will they pay)?

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
allentown, arizona, ocean dome japan, theyre all defunct now, correct?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Places like Vegas and amusement parks seem good for wave pools. Regardless if the actual pool makes money, it would attract people who might otherwise not go to the destination and they will spend money elsewhere in the town/resort or park: hotels, restaurants, gambling, gift shops, night clubs, etc.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Places like Vegas and amusement parks seem good for wave pools. Regardless if the actual pool makes money, it would attract people who might otherwise not go to the destination and they will spend money elsewhere in the town/resort or park: hotels, restaurants, gambling, gift shops, night clubs, etc.
I still can't figure out why there is no Waco pool in Orlando but Palm Springs is going to be slap full of these things. In a place like California where, compared to Florida, there are good waves all the dang time. I'm sure the humidity in Palm Springs is totally the same as the humidity in Orlando with respect to evaporation. Ditto the combo of disposable income and shitty surf Florida surfers have. You can probably fly direct to Orlando from Portland, Manchester, Providence, Atlantic City, and Wilmington, never mind the actual cities with actual airports in the Northeast.

slopokecr

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 28, 2007
If the only barrier to entry is $, its gonna work. Wave pools eliminate all the entry barriers for the average joe. You don't have to hunt for waves, You dont have to learn to duck dive, you don't have navigate crowds, no corral heads, no wildlife, the list goes on. All you gotta do is pay, and you are guaranteed good waves. Not only will wave pools proliferate, they will be in every town and of many varieties. Travelling surfers will seek them out. They will have their own contests (already do). People will pay to see "Bouts." Mick vs Parko, Mano y Mano. Pros will call out and challenge other Pros on social media. Real Estate developments built around them--Imagine a condo where instead of having a pool as the common area, its wavepool. Residents get preferred "Tee times." I see the future and it is good. This is gonna be YUGE.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
If the only barrier to entry is $, its gonna work. Wave pools eliminate all the entry barriers for the average joe. You don't have to hunt for waves, You dont have to learn to duck dive, you don't have navigate crowds, no corral heads, no wildlife, the list goes on. All you gotta do is pay, and you are guaranteed good waves. Not only will wave pools proliferate, they will be in every town and of many varieties. Travelling surfers will seek them out. They will have their own contests (already do). People will pay to see "Bouts." Mick vs Parko, Mano y Mano. Pros will call out and challenge other Pros on social media. Real Estate developments built around them--Imagine a condo where instead of having a pool as the common area, its wavepool. Residents get preferred "Tee times." I see the future and it is good. This is gonna be YUGE.
Seems like surfing actual waves in the ocean vs. the wavepool will be similar to this:

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
As the technology becomes cheaper I would imagine the whole next phase will be to have your own personal wave pool. Cheap land like northern/central Nevada which has a lot of geothermal springs.
A cheap land investment with a steady water source, also warm water if you want to surf year round.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
As the technology becomes cheaper I would imagine the whole next phase will be to have your own personal wave pool. Cheap land like northern/central Nevada which has a lot of geothermal springs.
A cheap land investment with a steady water source, also warm water if you want to surf year round.

lolno

you're high (as usual)

1574477688116.png