Are the Democrats about to cook up a fake war

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The best thing, and I'm not being fatuous, is you can find anything online to support your bias.

We see people do that here on a daily basis.

#metoo

Sometimes you can tell they have really scoured. I guess that algorithms help.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Bugmen waking up to their long, dark winter without Russian gas and a Rhine river water level that is too low to transport coal and LNG.
He says the Ukrainians need to mobilize 500,000 - no - 5,000,000 men women and children to defeat the Russkiyes. Why not 5 billion? Why not mobilize a galactic army against Putin/Thanos? After all, this is the Marvel universe.

Reactions: Ifallalot

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Biden admin just giving China our precious Strategic Petroleum Reserves from this latest drainage (at least $6 million worth) meant for domestic emergency only.

Nothing to see here. China pwns Biden.
the oil was sold per the rules that have always been used. There was nothing unique about a sale to an American based, foreign owned oil company.

Also, can you tell me the impact keeping the oil here would have had on global oil prices?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Putin wants FSB guys to fight and they are saying fook this.
My instinct that a lot of these reports are wishful thinking and overhyped by the media. For example in the early days of the war I doubt that there were all that many soldiers intentionally punching holes in their gas tanks to stall out in the convoy. Maybe a few did, the rumor got out and the media ran with it. Of course I have no data to back up or refute this (none of us do), this is simply my gut feeling. Either way I do think that Russia thought this would be easier than it's actually going, given that it's still going on 6 months later.

It's not surprising that the Right is systematically taking Putin's side on this, given the weird relationship between Putin and Trump, in combo with Ukraine's also weird relationship with Biden. Team sports politics makes the whole country dumb :toilet:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My instinct that a lot of these reports are wishful thinking and overhyped by the media. For example in the early days of the war I doubt that there were all that many soldiers intentionally punching holes in their gas tanks to stall out in the convoy. Maybe a few did, the rumor got out and the media ran with it. Of course I have no data to back up or refute this (none of us do), this is simply my gut feeling. Either way I do think that Russia thought this would be easier than it's actually going, given that it's still going on 6 months later.

It's not surprising that the Right is systematically taking Putin's side on this, given the weird relationship between Putin and Trump, in combo with Ukraine's also weird relationship with Biden. Team sports politics makes the whole country dumb :toilet:
Yeah, the news we get is very slanted.

I do agree Putin thought he could sweep in a take over quickly.

He underestimated the reaction of Ukraine and the West.

I think he's playing for time, hoping the West gets tired and some Russia lover takes power in the US.

Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
How’s recruiting efforts in Russia going :unsure: Seems that a lot of the soldiers don’t have a choice.
So, about the same as Ukraine though Russia has 3-4x as many people.
Russia has an upside down birthday cake shaped age distribution.
So does the Ukraine, but with 3-4x fewer people.
I’d say we are doing ok in comparison.
What makes you say that?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
So, about the same as Ukraine though Russia has 3-4x as many people.

So does the Ukraine, but with 3-4x fewer people.
Great, doesn’t change the dismal demographic reality for Russia. Not sure how much taking over Ukraine is going to fix their problems.

What makes you say that?
Because we don’t have to force people to join the military.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Great, doesn’t change the dismal demographic reality for Russia.
It doesn’t. But it’s the same for the Ukraine. The Ukraine actually has lower TFR and more emigration. I expect this to increase when they join the EU.

Not sure how much taking over Ukraine is going to fix their problems.
Have you read anything about the Eastern front of WWI and WWII? Zeihan even explained this.
Because we don’t have to force people to join the military
That’s not true anymore. Recruiting has fallen off a cliff.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It doesn’t. But it’s the same for the Ukraine. The Ukraine actually has lower TFR and more emigration. I expect this to increase when they join the EU.
Ok.

Have you read anything about the Eastern front of WWI and WWII? Zeihan even explained this.
I don’t know who Zeihan is. My understanding is that Putin needs to take over the land to have more farmland and a more diversified to economy to hopefully reverse the demographic spiral.

That’s not true anymore. Recruiting has fallen off a cliff.
Yet we haven’t brought the draft back yet so yes, that could indicate that Russia is in worse shape than us. Their demographics and replacement rate is lower, and because of that it’s been theorized that Putin is waging this war now because there won’t be enough young men in the future. I also doubt that the Russian military is as selective when it comes to physical or mental disqualifiers, so we could make more kids eligible by revisiting those standards (not saying we should). We certainly have them beat with obesity though :toilet:

If anything it will force politicians to reimagine what kind of military we really need to have. With modern weaponry and cyber warfare it’s questionable how many pairs of boots on the ground we really need.

Which is why I find your posts on this odd . . . . You are posting about issues that the US military has in a Russia vs Ukraine war thread . . . That both of those countries suffer from as well at a worse rate. So I’m not really seeing the relevance here? Wouldn’t that be more appropriate in the Bugman thread :unsure:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I don’t know who Zeihan is. My understanding is that Putin needs to take over the land to have more farmland and a more diversified to economy to hopefully reverse the demographic spiral.
They want a buffer territory between them and the Germans who invaded Russia twice last century. 30 million people died on the Eastern front in WWII.

Yet we haven’t brought the draft back yet so yes, that could indicate that Russia is in worse shape than us.
Could be. We have 330 million people but only 9% of our young people are willing to serve.

Their demographics and replacement rate is lower, and because of that it’s been theorized that Putin is waging this war now because there won’t be enough young men in the future.
That’s part of it, though the Russians are using their high fertility Saruakar - the Chechens.
I also doubt that the Russian military is as selective when it comes to physical or mental disqualifiers, so we could make more kids eligible by revisiting those standards (not saying we should). We certainly have them beat with obesity though :toilet:
American kids are much fatter than any I’ve seen in the countries I’ve traveled.
If anything it will force politicians to reimagine what kind of military we really need to have. With modern weaponry and cyber warfare it’s questionable how many pairs of boots on the ground we really need.
Has that proven true in the Ukraine? Did we prevail over the Pashtuns despite enormous technological advantages?

Which is why I find your posts on this odd . . . . You are posting about issues that the US military has in a Russia vs Ukraine war thread . . . That both of those countries suffer from as well at a worse rate. So I’m not really seeing the relevance here? Wouldn’t that be more appropriate in the Bugman thread :unsure:
My point is that we need to fix our own institutions like the military and stop fomenting problems in other parts of the world.

Reactions: grapedrink

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
the oil was sold per the rules that have always been used. There was nothing unique about a sale to an American based, foreign owned oil company.

Also, can you tell me the impact keeping the oil here would have had on global oil prices?
I made an error on the amount of oil sent to China from our SPR.

It wasn't $6 million worth, it was about 1 million BARRELS of oil (about $100 million worth) of our precious, domestic emergency use only SPR. And it was to a Hunter Biden linked CCP controlled firm Unipec.

Other sales to China (2.5 million in October 2021, and 1 million in November 2021) were procured from the White House.

Nothing to see here.

https://freebeacon.com/biden-administration/republicans-investigate-biden-admin-for-selling-china-oil-from-us-reserves/