Appeals court rules ban on 'conversion therapy' unconstitutional

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appeals court rules ban on 'conversion therapy' unconstitutional

November 20, 2020
A federal appeals court on Friday ruled that ordinances in Florida banning the licensed counseling of people with unwanted same-sex attractions are unconstitutional violations of the freedom of speech.

"We hold that the challenged ordinances violate the First Amendment because they are content-based regulations of speech that cannot survive strict scrutiny," the ruling from the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said.

The decision was the first from a federal appeals court laws against so-called "conversion therapy" – a term rejected by proponents – since a 2018 U.S. Supreme Court ruling. In NIFLA v. Becerra, the high court ruled the government cannot force an individual or organization to express a message chosen by the government.

The current case, Otto, et al v. City of Boca Raton, found that bans by Boca Raton and Palm Beach County violate the Constitution.

The case was fought by Liberty Counsel, which represents Robert Otto and Julie Hamilton and their minor clients.

Liberty Counsel Chairman Mat Staver said the ruling sets a precedent.

"This case is the beginning of the end of similar unconstitutional counseling bans around the country," he said.....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Finally, a cure for gay lockdown.

The erbb right wing homos rejoice! :dancing:

Is straight conversion protected?

Making straight guys into gays?

Maybe I could get laid more if I got the conversion?

Does gay conversion make you like women?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I'm certain that it is.
How do they do it?

I would have a hot chick come in the room and say she was going to give you a BJ.

But have to wear a blindfold.

Then I would have a guy come in who was really good at giving BJs give you the BJ while you were blind folded.

Wham!

You're gay!

I guess you could do that the other way too to the guys on gay lock down.

The hot guy comes into give you a BJ and do the old switch-0h-roo.

Is there a market for that?

Clay says I need to make more money.

I'm more and idea man. :dancing:

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Why would it be unconstitutional under the 1st Amendment for a person who wants to listen to someone tell him that there is no such thing as "a homosexual"?