AORTIC DISSECTION

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
My buddy Mike is a long time bodybuilder. 12 years ago I was in crisis mode and wanted to get in insane shape.
Asked him about roids, he went off on me!

basically told me I am stupid and put me on a good diet and made me lift heavy sh!t.
forever grateful for him. He made a lifelong commitment and understands he has shortened his length of time on earth.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
A friend's wife's sister complained of chest pains one night after dinner.

Started feeling nauseous, went to bed early to sleep it off.

About 1/2 hour later, wandered into family room in distress/pain, "Think I'm having a heart attack."

Goes to emergency room.

Machines go beep, docs say, "No, you're not have a heart attack. Lets get a picture."

Picture shows slight bulge on aorta.

"Get the team in, we're operating now!"

Turns out that the outer later of aorta was tearing and the inner part was starting to go.

So, pretty close for her.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The body will tell you what is up but some people are too stupid to listen.

I had so many times where I said to friends, "You got to take me to the hospital."

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The body will tell you what is up but some people are too stupid to listen.

I had so many times where I said to friends, "You got to take me to the hospital."
I might be screwed in that sense. Running marathons teaches you to ignore the body's signals and push past the pain and fatigue....:socrazy:

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
The sad truth to this push for performance and mass is the massive amount of misinformation, hype, marketing, and narcissism that wreaks havoc with logic, sanity, and health. A good buddy of mine died listening and believing every "health guru" who came along and tried literally dozens of different kinds of supplements, machines, and training regimens. As many other posts on the SurfDoc forum it's really all about moderation, balance, and common sense. Difficult to sift through all the BS webpages, instagram, YouTube, nutrition stores etc. for a scientist much more difficult even for our kids! If someone is slamming supplements, steroids, and spending 3 or 4 hours in the gym the end result could be very unhealthy.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
The sad truth to this push for performance and mass is the massive amount of misinformation, hype, marketing, and narcissism that wreaks havoc with logic, sanity, and health. A good buddy of mine died listening and believing every "health guru" who came along and tried literally dozens of different kinds of supplements, machines, and training regimens. As many other posts on the SurfDoc forum it's really all about moderation, balance, and common sense. Difficult to sift through all the BS webpages, instagram, YouTube, nutrition stores etc. for a scientist much more difficult even for our kids! If someone is slamming supplements, steroids, and spending 3 or 4 hours in the gym the end result could be very unhealthy.
nutrition/health food stores are the worst. whatever the latest hype/craze, they are the first to pump it and cash in, with no vetting whatsoever. i kinda miss the days when the FDA had the authority to require proof of efficacy - pre-1994 - at least there was some kind of baseline. now, it's like Thinderdome - anything goes.