Anyone who spent time surfing/drinking in Montauk in the 90s and 00s

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
RIP Cyril. Good bye to a legend. so many stories...bomb smuggler for the IRA. US Marine in Vietnam. Raging alcoholic who managed to live to 77 (the length, depth, and breadth of Cyrils alcoholism is legendary even among legendary drunks)

made millions off his little roadside bar and fish shack, maybe a tenth of it reported to IRS. Dodging the feds, the local town ordinances etc. fighting off burglars. This particular pirate looked at 40, poured himself a tall glass of rum at 7 am, and lived another 37 years. I had the pleasure of drinking with him from the age of 17. His bartenders, always local hotties, knew me well, and knew full well how young I was but Cyril insisted I was untouchable, even though his place was always raided by the fuzz targeting underage drinking. although it speaks volumes to the drunk I would become (or already was) that was the beginning of years of drunken fun with Cyril, whether it was drinks at his bar at 9 am after a morning surf, or getting black out drunk with him at one of the other watering holes...so many epic hazy memories. This obit barely scratches the surface.
RIP Cyril Fitzsimmons

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Never met the guy, but know the type. My grandfather had had flee Donegal for Ira involvement, they don't make many Irishmen like that anymore.RIP

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I drank a few times with John Mahon, owner of the now storied Pig n Whistle pub(s) in midtown. Sworn Frenemy of Cyril’s. Even John had to concede the truth to many of Cyrils stories. Tall tales mostly written off by the average rich tourist “slumming it” with locals and all the other flotsam that washes up on the east end for 4 months every year. But hearing it from John, who had no love for Cyril, corroborated many of the bigger pieces for a young subway intrigued by these crazy ass sort of rich sort of criminal alcoholic Irishmen.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Montaulk still loaded with cute Irish and Scottish lasses in the summer?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Montaulk still loaded with cute Irish and Scottish lasses in the summer?
Indeed. Man the memories of those years., surfing, partying, beautiful Irish girls in town to work and party and occasionally bang a lucky American kid...I think that phenomenon has lessened though. Housing is sooooo much harder to find now for a group of middle class friends to spend summers there

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Only been out to fish a few times, must have been a great scene before it got "discovered".

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The 90s and oughts were pretty epic still. Crowded of course in summer. But the Montauk explosion really took off in the teens. Even when I was still drinking in in like 2011 and 2012 I was not into the new Montauk scene. Not to say there were not the occasional blacked out benders through the various new and old bars in town, but most of us who partied there in our early years didn’t really Take to the “new scene”. Not for any classist or anti gentrification issues, at least for me. I just hated fighting for or even waiting for a drink, let alone waiting to even enter a bar to begin with. Fukk that