Anyone use a Swiss bar for bench/OHP?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Thinking about getting one. When I started lifting I read that they’re good if you have shoulder pain when you bench or press overhead. I didn’t then and I do now.
Those aches and pains are a sign that you've been using the same exercise too long. You definitely need to change exercises, and those bars you mentioned are a good way of doing it.

Reactions: averagejoe

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Dumbbells. Obviously you can vary your hand position, width of your grip and range of motion from one rep to the next. Your numbers will go down (if that's something you care about). Much easier to handle more weight on a bar. But why make it easy?

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
Tried dumbbell bench on Wednesday and felt the pain in my left rotator cuff so I switched to decline close grip and got a good workout. Today I tried overhead pin press with the bar set at the bridge of my nose.

The pain on both exercises comes on at the lowest part of the bar path/range of motion.

Getting old is a bitch

Reactions: rowjimmytour

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Tried dumbbell bench on Wednesday and felt the pain in my left rotator cuff so I switched to decline close grip and got a good workout. Today I tried overhead pin press with the bar set at the bridge of my nose.

The pain on both exercises comes on at the lowest part of the bar path/range of motion.

Getting old is a bitch
Does it help to slow down the eccentric?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Getting old is a bitch
I can't do over head presses anymore.

But I can dip.

So I dip.

Have you done soft tissue work?

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
Does it help to slow down the eccentric?
I feel like I always go pretty slow on the eccentric.

I’ve started doing Ts & Ys with my TRX and they help. Changing up the exercises was a great suggestion. I’ve been kind of bored with the same four exercises for two years. Also switched back to conventional deadlifts from sumo, adding some weight, dropping reps.

It’s weird having added 15 lbs or so of muscle without having surfed the entire time and now getting back into it. My body feels weird.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

I’ve started doing Ts & Ys with my TRX and they help. Changing up the exercises was a great suggestion. I’ve been kind of bored with the same four exercises for two years. Also switched back to conventional deadlifts from sumo, adding some weight, dropping reps.

It’s weird having added 15 lbs or so of muscle without having surfed the entire time and now getting back into it. My body feels weird.
Using the same exercise too long creates adaptive resistance - basically there are smaller and smaller marginal returns on an exercise. That said, you don't want to change the exercise so much that you are no longer benefiting your squat, bench, DL, and OHP. Consequently, you should keep variations on the squat to be FS, high bar, or low bar. Upper body lifts should be varied by at least a hand width to be considered a variation. Squat stances should be at least 3-4 inches to by considered a variation in addition to bar position. Ed Coan only did competition moves in his mesocycle leading up to the competition.

How long have you been training for strength? It might be time to train for hypertrophy (5-20 rep range) also. Most intermediates need this and this and exercise variation.

I'm getting all this from "Scientific Principles of Strength Training" by Israetel et al (pg 219 - 248).

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

I5 pounds is a lot.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
i did the same and added muscle but lost it all as the extra bulk gassed me out faster when surfing

strengf training and surf cardio dont like each other. orly why most surfers who train and strength in the off season

Reactions: averagejoe

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
Using the same exercise too long creates adaptive resistance - basically there are smaller and smaller marginal returns on an exercise. That said, you don't want to change the exercise so much that you are no longer benefiting your squat, bench, DL, and OHP. Consequently, you should keep variations on the squat to be FS, high bar, or low bar. Upper body lifts should be varied by at least a hand width to be considered a variation. Squat stances should be at least 3-4 inches to by considered a variation in addition to bar position. Ed Coan only did competition moves in his mesocycle leading up to the competition.

How long have you been training for strength? It might be time to train for hypertrophy (5-20 rep range) also. Most intermediates need this and this and exercise variation.

I'm getting all this from "Scientific Principles of Strength Training" by Israetel et al (pg 219 - 248).
The last six months I’ve been in the 6-10 rep range. I gave up beer for most of October and pushed through a plateau on all my lifts.

I think the shoulder pain started one day surfing

Reading Starting Strength, Rip talked about incorporating lifting weights into sports training. Train weights heavy in the off-season and focus more on sports practice in season. My off season was a couple of years and so my paddling technique is rusty. I feel like I’m paddling incorporating more muscle with not perfect technique. And I way more fatigued than before I put on the gains. Once I’m on my feet I’m ok because I was able to keep kite surfing. Combined with how crowded it’s gotten it’s really hard to motivate to get in any kind of rhythm.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The last six months I’ve been in the 6-10 rep range. I gave up beer for most of October and pushed through a plateau on all my lifts.

I think the shoulder pain started one day surfing

Reading Starting Strength, Rip talked about incorporating lifting weights into sports training. Train weights heavy in the off-season and focus more on sports practice in season. My off season was a couple of years and so my paddling technique is rusty. I feel like I’m paddling incorporating more muscle with not perfect technique. And I way more fatigued than before I put on the gains. Once I’m on my feet I’m ok because I was able to keep kite surfing. Combined with how crowded it’s gotten it’s really hard to motivate to get in any kind of rhythm.
After you’ve done the LP in SS, I really like the Renaissance Periodization programs (RP strength or RP hypertrophy)

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Those aches and pains are a sign that you've been using the same exercise too long. You definitely need to change exercises, and those bars you mentioned are a good way of doing it.
Ive been doing the bench press the same way for decades. I exclusively did the bench press when recovering from a torn labrum this year when I opted against surgery.

If something as benign as the bench press is causing pain I wouldn't eliminate it. I would reduce the weight and focus on volume. When you find a tolerable range you can reduce volume increase load slowly from there as comfort dictates.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
i did the same and added muscle but lost it all as the extra bulk gassed me out faster when surfing

strengf training and surf cardio dont like each other. orly why most surfers who train and strength in the off season
Do the same movements but reduce the weight, increase the reps and work on velocity. You can train all you want and you will feel the difference in the water and you will still be gaining strength. Pick a window during the year to focus on raw strength improvement. I use the spring/early summer when the pacific water is cold and the surf sucks.

Think about what you're doing. Surfing is a sport of short but high intensity activity. If you do ascending sets of 8-10 of a standard deadlift with your last set at RPE8 with a focus on bar speed your last set is probably going to be around 50-60% of your 1RM...but it's going to feel like 90% and your going to get gassed doing it.