Anyone surfing the Lost RNF redux?

surfapotomus

OTF status
Jan 21, 2014
on a leash
I'm kinda interested as well. It was speaking to me as I groped it at the shop. Seemed like it would be a great groveler with some range. I went home with a Pod Mod instead.

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
I got one and love it. Best board I had in a long time. Haven't found a limit yet on this board and I've ridden it at about 7ft points and beach breaks with the T1 and trailer set up. My buddy bought one too and can't get off it and loves it just as much. Really is a quiver killer, just take the trailer off when it gets smaller and is so fun in 2-4ft surf. Has the glide and flow of a fish but can also be surfed more like a shortboard. Just get it, you won't regret it.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Had a few of the original RNFs and used to surf them in everything. The originals at least weren't really a groveler but worked well in waist to head high surf. The ones I had that I liked had more nose rocker than your average groveler and a narrower tail so needed some wave. When it got head hight plus they'd get a little squirley more because of too much water under the nose sort of disengaged the board.

I found that they worked best as a pure twin without the trailer. Trailer didn't seem to add much stability but it took away some looseness. Had two epic ones and two duds. The better ones had more vee in the tail. The duds were flatter in tail and didn't like to go on rail as much.

Jan 31, 2011
NS/Newport/NS
yes, stock dims on a 5'5, been blowing my mind in small stuff this summer. waves been shetty here in town this summer, been having more fun than anyone on a board under 7'6 at bowls. the one i got is 9 years old, brown and still feels very spry.

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
I've almost always had one in my quiver, from 5'4 to 5'8
I prefer the more original spoon shape (without a hip...widepoint way forward), they work well with a variety of fin configurations whereas the fatter, pointier, wp back were more for pivoty and less skaty.

I like the twin feel, but for most waves i found a good compromise was right. Webber Curves front and a smallish g1/g2 sized rear or quads rear worked best

back 90's, this was the only alt type shape I rode, found it worked best when i wanted to drive and skate over sections that my 90's 6' x 18 x 2" would bog in. Still find that that is the type of waves it surfs best in (lined up...a little more face)

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Wow, looks like the search function works now.

Anybody still riding a RNF Redux? I just sampled my buddies Libtech version and while Libtech build was heavy and weird, I did enjoy the shape. Felt very high performance off the tail but low entry rocker was easy to get speed. Debating getting a carbon wrap or an XTR RNF in a slightly smaller size than the 5'8 I tried (I'm 6'1 190 pounds).

Are you riding it as a twin plus trailer? Straight twin? Thruster? Quad?

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Can't speak on the Redux but OG RNF is a staple in my quiver. Ordered a new one when Matt came thru this summer. Took less then 2 months. Went longer/thicker then my old one for winter rubber. Nose seems a bit more pulled in also. Would describe it the same as you did the Redux. Performance tail/ generates speed easy. Waist burgery stuff to HH barrels. Poly with MR twin or L Merricks thruster.
I love these things and figure why mess with what works.

Reactions: racer1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Good board but Wasn't sure after trying many different fins then found twin trailer the best. Really good backside as that set up or quad! Carbon wraps are very lively!!

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
I had one for a couple years - had some great sessions and some not so great. Twin plus trailer. Good as a shortboard alternative, not a grovelor. RNF Retro works better for me.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Love the retro, I think I found its limits on the Humberto swell that made all the mags. Although it could have been the archer.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Won't say what my price is with XTR (slight discount), but with shipping it's only about $25 to $50 more for XTR versus Tokoro, Pyzel, Arakawa who all charge around $700+ for PU if you factor in sales tax.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
I haven’t had one for a long time but tokoros used to be pretty damn cheap (and obviously really well-shaped/quality boards). I think Greg has posted about prices in Hawaii. Seems like it’s caught up (at least with the bigger names).