ANYONE SEEN ANY GOOD MOVIES LATELY ?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
imo their relationship was representative of the civil war. Two sides that used to love each other, undone by a bitterness neither they, nor the rest of the people, want. But they're unable to walk away from it.

I personally was more interested in the question of what's the better way to live: to be a good, decent person or to create something that lasts after you're gone. But I thought that got lost in the civil war allegory.

It was a well made movie that I did not like it. Besides a few chuckle-worthy moments of Colin Ferrell trying to puzzle out why they're not friends, it was just so joyless.
thank you, sir!

I'm so fkn dense

I just could not make the fkn connection between their relationship and the allusions to war across the straight.

ugggg...what a dummy.

maybe i just went in with no expectations. or rather, i expected it to be total garbage because i had no idea what it was when i randomly clicked on it one night. i don't think it was quite as good as The Witch but comparing it to the crap i usually end up watching when i have no idea what to watch, it was great.
I really hope he goes back to doing his own low/med budget stuff that he writes

it had the feeling of too many cooks in teh kitchen...super cool concept and I'm gay for Eric from True Blood

the Cohen brothers' Tragedy of MacBeth was exceptional, but it requires multiple viewings....the dialog goes so fast and verbatim for the original text....really really good.

I'm going to make my kids watch Red Dawn with me tonight!

Reactions: therarebirdshow

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
For mindless comedy/action, I thought Bullit Train was a fun ride.

Side note: last night we started the first season of Ted Lasso and ended up binging three episodes in a row. :jamon:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood was pretty damn good. Tarantino’s formula was wearing on me but DiCaprio‘s performance as Rick Dalton was amazing, especially when he’s playing the heavy next to Olyphant.

I’ve seen Dune Part I about three times and it doesnt get old.

I actually agree Kidman was a bad choice for the Northman - too much plastic in her face and she’s irritating. She does get killed in the end though. Who would you have cast?

The best historical fiction on Vikings by far is “The Long Ships”:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The Black Cauldron intensifies.

I've been hoping they'd make a full Chronicles of Prydain franchise since I first read those books years ago.

We're also due for a true-to-the-book Ivanhoe. We've had 18 million fucking Robin Hood movies, and where the fuck is my Isaac da Joo? Wamba son of Witless? Gurth the Swineherd? Where is someone straight built for secks like Olivia Huzzy as Rebecca? Maybe Taylor Swift could be Rowena to annoy afoaf? Since the moral is that anti-semitism is bad, you could get away with all the stuff that would normally be offensive.

Reactions: Kento and mundus

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The Black Cauldron intensifies.

I've been hoping they'd make a full Chronicles of Prydain franchise since I first read those books years ago.

We're also due for a true-to-the-book Ivanhoe. We've had 18 million fucking Robin Hood movies, and where the fook is my Isaac da Joo? Wamba son of Witless? Gurth the Swineherd? Where is someone straight built for secks like Olivia Huzzy as Rebecca? Maybe Taylor Swift could be Rowena to annoy afoaf? Since the moral is that anti-semitism is bad, you could get away with all the stuff that would normally be offensive.
I hadn't read those books in decades but yeah, showed Black Cauldron to my kids a few years back. Surprisingly dark for a kids movie, actually. Eons better than the formulaic Marvel schlock.

It would be nice if someone could actually do The Dark Tower justice. Not to mention getting a legit Lovecraft movie up on screen.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I just watched Slums of Beverly Hills for the first time. Good, strange film. Wonderful acting by a wonderful cast: Natasha Lyonne, Alan Arkin, Michael Corrigan, David Krumholtz, Marisa Tomei, Jessica Walter, Rita Moreno, Carl Reiner. Thoughtful deadpan comedy/drama with sufficient amount of breasts.

Also learned the word "dingbat" in reference to much of Los Angeles's single family apartment architecture.

On Hulu, or HBO, I can't remember...HBO I think

Reactions: Chocki

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I hadn't read those books in decades but yeah, showed Black Cauldron to my kids a few years back. Surprisingly dark for a kids movie, actually. Eons better than the formulaic Marvel schlock.

It would be nice if someone could actually do The Dark Tower justice. Not to mention getting a legit Lovecraft movie up on screen.
I have a distinct memory as a child of going to a drive-in double feature of Black Couldron and Full Metal Jacket. I think my parents thought we’d be sleeping by the time FMJ started but we weren’t. We never made it out of boot camp before my father drove us home.

Disclaimer: I’m not 100% certain that these two movies came out at the same time but that’s how I remember it. Possibly combining two seperate memories.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I just watched Slums of Beverly Hills for the first time. Good, strange film. Wonderful acting by a wonderful cast: Natasha Lyonne, Alan Arkin, Michael Corrigan, David Krumholtz, Marisa Tomei, Jessica Walter, Rita Moreno, Carl Reiner. Thoughtful deadpan comedy/drama with sufficient amount of breasts.

Also learned the word "dingbat" in reference to much of Los Angeles's single family apartment architecture.

On Hulu, or HBO, I can't remember...HBO I think
Say the words Alan Arkin and I’m in. His character in Little Miss Sunshine is the old man I aspire to be.

Reactions: Norm' and Chocki